Android World Phone?

Decibel

2[H]4U
I'm looking to upgrade from my current unlocked n85 on AT&T to something more up to date. The problem is I travel... a lot. Mostly within the US, but I'm in Europe about once a quarter, I have a trip to South America coming up and I'm looking at a trip to Asia/Australia within the next year. Of course good 3g or better speeds would be nice when I'm home in the SF Bay Area most weekends. I'd also like a camera at least as good as the n85, which has one of the best quality cameras on any phone.

My contract with AT&T is up so I can switch any time. It seems that out of the major four carriers, they seem to be the best coverage here in the US that I can also use internationally...

What are my options? Hell, do I have any options?

If you're looking for an Android phone that can be used around the world, I know that the N1 will serve your purpose quite well on T-Mobile's network. They have damn good coverage in major cities, and you won't have a problem at all in Europe. I don't know how they are in Asia/South America.

Your other option is getting the Droid from Verizon, but I can't comment on their global plans.

ummm...

The Droid won't work as a world phone, it's strictly CDMA so you're out of luck outside the US, Canada, Israel, South Korea, and SOME parts of Japan and China.. The Nexus One will only work on 2G internationally. If you want a true, 3G world phone, try importing an HTC Hero from Rogers in Canada. It'll work on 3G internationally and with AT&T.

Thanks... AT&T is advertising that they have Android phones coming the first half of the year. I might just wait a bit.

Any advantage to looking at Android vs something like WinMo or Moblin? The general idea I'm so far getting is that Android seems to be the best supported tweaker friendly phone OS.

The Nokia n900 looks fun, but I'm thinking that for the next year or two I might just play with another brand's toys.

Are you looking for anything else? like a full touchscreen over a physical keyboard?

Back