Android Update Fixes Two Critical Vulnerabilities

HardOCP News

[H] News
The latest Android patch fixes a total of 23 vulnerabilities, including two that were listed as critical.

We have released a security update to Nexus devices through an over-the-air (OTA) update as part of our Android Security Bulletin Monthly Release process. The Nexus firmware images have also been released to the Google Developer site. Builds LMY48X or later and Android Marshmallow with Security Patch Level of November 1, 2015 or later address these issues. Refer to the Common Questions and Answer section for more details.

To be honest they would do better to role out Chrome OS to mobile rather than continue with Android.

Android doesn't have much of a future unless Google can sort out the update situation IMO.

No that 85% of Android devices will ever get the patch.

took a long time but that is the reason I finally jumped ship after being an android user since the g1. Doubt Ill ever look back but if I do there is no doubt its going to be a nexus or nothing.

To be honest they would do better to role out Chrome OS to mobile rather than continue with Android.

Android doesn't have much of a future unless Google can sort out the update situation IMO.
Google is doing exactly that, merging Android and Chrome OS. Or so goes a large amount of internet news/speculation.

But it'll be a steep and rocky road, and it won't be soon. In the meantime, some vendors are looking to put more money into more frequent updates, Samsung for example.

It's all very far from ideal, but it's progressing.

I'm happy I didn't sucked into the Android lifestyle. I would be nervous all the time.

I think if people spend all their day looking for reasons to be scared then they are likely to be just that. I update my Android device as updates come out, just as I did with my iPhones up until iOS 7. I just turn a blind eye to the 15 zillion "scare tactic" vulnerabilities and live happier because of it.

Google is doing exactly that, merging Android and Chrome OS. Or so goes a large amount of internet news/speculation.

But it'll be a steep and rocky road, and it won't be soon. In the meantime, some vendors are looking to put more money into more frequent updates, Samsung for example.

It's all very far from ideal, but it's progressing.

Indeed, but my point is ditching Android completely. Just go with ChromeOS for mobile. No point in merging a good secure OS with a bad one.

I think if people spend all their day looking for reasons to be scared then they are likely to be just that. I update my Android device as updates come out, just as I did with my iPhones up until iOS 7. I just turn a blind eye to the 15 zillion "scare tactic" vulnerabilities and live happier because of it.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

It is I guess.. My wife nexus's auto updates itself all the time while in wi-fi.
I mean, it is unfortunate non-google 'manufacturers' (its all Foxconn/Samsung I am sure) don't update crap, but its not Google's fault.

...Also...

Why would they 'kill' Android.. can chrome OS run any application from the play store?
Chrome OS looked like a boring piece of crap to me, I think I have used better emergency linux on stick than chrome OS (But I haven't used chrome OS in a very long time though).
Its obviously not that difficult to make an OS that boots up a computer and can connect to the internet, if you start with Linux, clearly all the hard work has been done for you.

I am using android 5 and android auto. Android has become extremely polished, Android auto works very well and its a solid interface, considering what seemed like fairly negative reviews, which I don't really get after using it.
I don't know... I think Android is awesome, but this it in its pure form (nexus 6).
I don't think it has frozen/crashed as of yet, and it gets used a lot, more like abused.

I think android needs to expand to desktops, with a desktop version of android, but I mean a real desktop version that allows you to handle your documents like windows does (That is one of the painful thing of android mini-boxes, the file handling, if you use windows explorer a lot, everything seems painful to use when moving files and stuff like that)
And the keyboard/ mouse use it polished.
If price is not crazy and hardware is good, I think I would buy and make an android desktop my sole desktop, I would retire my windows desktop for sure, and be done with MS.

Paranoia is terrible. I'm still running a galaxy nexus that I only grab whatever the latest update once a year. The amount of malware that has hit my phone? A big fat zero. Stop spreading FUD. 99% of the malware problems with android comes from puerile with absolutely stupid habits.

Paranoia is terrible. I'm still running a galaxy nexus that I only grab whatever the latest update once a year. The amount of malware that has hit my phone? A big fat zero. Stop spreading FUD. 99% of the malware problems with android comes from puerile with absolutely stupid habits.

Ugh, people. Didn't catch auto correct.

Exactly my point. People will call it ignorance every time if I am not aware of every vulnerability with my phone/OS/random software. Who cares?

Being scared to own a phone because of a security vulnerability is a pretty strange phobia.

Back