Android TV vs. TV + external input - picture quality

tedych

Limp Gawd
I had an argument with a guy about whether Smart TVs in general (and those with embedded Android in particular) discriminate inputs like HDMI / DP in favor of signals they generate from their internal Android apps like Kodi.

Just to elaborate.
He is very positive that (android) TVs pass all signals/decoded_streams (TV and those coming from its internallly installed Android players like Kodi) through all its internal hardware-assisted processing/improvement circuitry BUT not the streams coming from HDMI or display_port. As a result he's claiming picture quality is better when playing all the same videoclip through internal Kodi than a Kodi running on an external Android box (for example).
My own logic tells me this is not logical as internal circuitry shouldn't be constrained to where its decoded streams come from when processing it in their path to the panel itself.
I don't know for sure that's why I'm asking here because there is a big chance someone would know whether this is true and substantiate appropriately with links to official docs or something..

I have few LGs with WebOS and my own simple experiments didn't show any quality deviation between internal DLNA player and external HDMI but that's not too indicative. Also when using HDMI input I can apply some settings to the picture and its parameters like TrueMotion (100Hz interpolation) etc.
Do TVs with Android apply the same hardware assisted circuitry and algorithms to when playing through their Kodi the same way as when they play TV broadcasts (deinterlacing, anti-aliazing etc.) and not the same when used through HDMI?

Thanks.

Back