Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

It's like you guys can't read or something :/. The only time anyone has gotten hacked or malware is when they went through some shady Chinese store (never install any of that shit TaiG or Pangu try to install) or, like in this case, some shady Chinese source. If you aren't trying to steal paid apps you won't run into this crap.

lol don't even bother, lack of common sense is no excuse apparently

There are some instances where you can be compromised without grabbing a shady app, but the odds of an attack obviously go down if you're smart enough to avoid shady stores or grab only those Cydia downloads that you can trust. The main thing is to simply accept that jailbreaking or rooting any phone inherently weakens its security -- you have to do more to stay safe than you would with a stock device.

There are some instances where you can be compromised without grabbing a shady app, but the odds of an attack obviously go down if you're smart enough to avoid shady stores or grab only those Cydia downloads that you can trust. The main thing is to simply accept that jailbreaking or rooting any phone inherently weakens its security -- you have to do more to stay safe than you would with a stock device.
The End...

What do you do to jailbreak? Yes, install Chinese software of unknown origin on your laptop/desktop.

THE END for all your laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad and accounts.

you have to do more to stay safe than you would with a stock device.

Unless you reverse engineer and analyze every app the only thing you can do is pray when you disable the OS security layer via jailbreaking.

Love hardcore apologists especially the ones willing to stab their own in the back. :p

I used this cool app, last night, to revert my jailbroken 6+ to stock iOS without having to update to the latest version which is unjailbreakable. I was having some quirky stability issues, so wanted to clean out my phone and start over with a fresh jailbreak. Impactor restored my phone to 8.3 -- not 8.4.1; even had to reactivate it. I then used the latest Taig to jailbreak and install my favorite Cydia tweaks. Everything went smoothly and my phone is working great.

https://cydia.saurik.com/info/com.saurik.impactor/

Of course, all this pleasantness will be irrelevant when my 6s+ arrives, next week. :p

And I just switched back from iPhone 6 plus to Nexus 6 after 4 months of rocking iOS.

Phone history:
LG Optimus One P500, LG Optimus L7 II, Nexus 4, LG G2, iPhone 6 Plus, Nexus 6 (I like the Nexus 6 so much that I bough 2 for me and my girlfriend, lol - and 2 Nexus 6s cost less than 1 iPhone 6 Plus as of today).

I got to spend the last couple days with an iPhone 6. Some really strange deficiencies are still present. No back key? Seriously? No swipe keyboard? No customization of control center? Zoom all the way in on open folders? Unintuitive scrolling (i.e., can't just swipe sideways to move between lists in the app store)? God knows what else I'm forgetting. I was seriously considering a 6S Plus recently until now.

I really don't get it. They are inferior devices. No god damned manufacturer bloat ware though.

I got to spend the last couple days with an iPhone 6. Some really strange deficiencies are still present. No back key? Seriously? No swipe keyboard? No customization of control center? Zoom all the way in on open folders? Unintuitive scrolling (i.e., can't just swipe sideways to move between lists in the app store)? God knows what else I'm forgetting. I was seriously considering a 6S Plus recently until now.

I really don't get it. They are inferior devices. No god damned manufacturer bloat ware though.

iOS 9 (due today!) has a "back to X" button that pops up when you've just switched apps, so that should address one of your concerns. And I don't see the absence of a dedicated back key as worse, just different. It's not as quick (don't forget iOS' swipe-to-go-back gesture, though), but it also means that there's no mystery as to what happens. One of my pet peeves with Android is the occasional unpredictability of hitting the back button. Will you go back up a level in the app, to the previous app or the home screen? Us geeks have an idea of what will happen, but woe be to the newcomers who mash the back button and find themselves lost.

iOS supports third-party keyboards, including trace-to-type options like Swype and SwiftKey.

It sounds like the issue is more that you're unused to iOS than anything else. This isn't to excuse every quirk of iOS (it definitely has some), but you need to be fully aware of what it can do and more comfortable with its interface concepts.

Last edited:
ip4 --> galaxy s4 ---> ip6+ --> motoxpure

things i'm glad to have back

1. real file system: I hate having to push files app to app to app hoping that eventually i am able to actually achieve my desired intent:

e.g. i had to emergency genius scan a sensitive document on iOS one time, and it was not something that i wanted floating around on the internet. Sorry no dropbox, drive, whatever. Dont have mail.app set up? you're screwed trying to get the file onto an email without uploading it onto a third party app or site.

dont even mention itunes to me. i'm over it, never going back.

2. browser crashing. this is the most awful part of 64bit, 1080p rendering on ip6+. it takes up a shit load of memory, and it will cause your browser to crash websites. Like verge, like xda, like zerohedge, mlb.com, nfl.com.

now i have a real browser with real desktop capabilities. Instead of being pushed to an app to get the update i want, i can go straight to nfl.com and watch highlights off desktop mode with 1% crash likelihood. on ios? like 95%.

3. real multitasking: copy something from a browser, into an app (e.g. like a tracking #), hope that you got it right on ios the first time because if you dont, you'll sit there waiting for the page to reload, wait, sometimes crash, before you jump back to the app. i cant wait for split screen on android M.

i can actually play youtube videos in the background. wow, what a novel idea while i copy down notes (e.g. recipe) or visit a site/app that was referenced in the video.

4. i live in an urban area. its nice to not worry about taking my phone out in the subway anymore, basically ever.

things ill miss

1. consistency of camera. I dont have an gs6 or note 5, so i'm just going to miss the consistency of pictures that the ip6 can produce at any random moment in any environment, i know it wont come out blurry, ever.

2. battery life, which is a double edged sword. ip6+ battery is basically impossible to drain in a 24hr period unless you are chained to netflix for 10 hours. Which led to some bad habits for me: on my 2nd day i sometimes found myself caught up in something where i wished i had charged the night before. with quick charge i dont think that will ever happen to me.

overrated android feature:
"superior" notification bar (but maybe not widgets)
meaningless benchmarks
rooting

overrated ios feature
touchid
"superior" apps (e.g. robinhood)

Yeah but this is apple bloatware, versus Android that has Carrier bloatware. Apple bloatware goes in a folder and never bothers you again and doesn't take up RAM and resources. When I had a droid turbo, the Verizon bloatware was atrocious. Sure, a Nexus device doesn't have bloatware but the hardware isn't as good. I had multiple hardware issues with that Droid Turbo. The wifi on that thing was terrible and the bluetooth streaming in the car stuttered.

Another reason why I might not return to Android...

bgr.com/2015/09/16/android-5-0-lollipop-lockscreen-password-hack/

This is one of the stupidest bug I've ever seen.

The biggest issue I had with the lack of a back key is that the back command on iOS was almost always in the top left corner. I'm a right hander and when using just one hand, that stretch became immediately noticeable and annoying.

I will admit I still enjoyed the iPhone 6 and could probably be happy with a 6 Plus. That said, some basic things would put the phone on another level and I can't understand how Apple hasn't done them. I'm no expert but I noticed some of these things right away as did some of the other folks who weren't used to iOS. Most of us weren't putting the phones down, we were just dumbfounded.

It seemed like there was no app list either which I found weird. I could see losing track of your icons and having home screens full of stuff you don't necessarily want shortcuts to. I'm guessing there is some kind of all list somewhere that we just didn't see.

Lol back button argument, it's like people bitching about Microsoft removing the start menu.

Been using my wife's 5S for a week and never missed it once.

One of my pet peeves with Android is the occasional unpredictability of hitting the back button. Will you go back up a level in the app, to the previous app or the home screen? Us geeks have an idea of what will happen, but woe be to the newcomers who mash the back button and find themselves lost.

Android's back button works on the basic push/pop stack principle that's taught in junior high. For example, any link you go to gets pushed onto the stack while going back removes it from the stack and once you've reached the beginning it takes you home. Same idea as using a HP RPN calculator. More predictable than hunting down that virtual back button that can inconsistently be anywhere on the screen and usually where it's hard to reach one handed.

You can just move them into folder a with other crap. iOS still takes up less room than "stock" Android on many devices, though built in apps suck on both platforms.

That's like a toilet that you can't flush. As far as storage, it's a bigger issue on iOS since starting storage is 16GB like on the new iPhone 6s because of Apple profit$ vs 32GB for rest of industry.

Android's back button works on the basic push/pop stack principle that's taught in junior high. For example, any link you go to gets pushed onto the stack while going back removes it from the stack and once you've reached the beginning it takes you home. Same idea as using a HP RPN calculator. More predictable than hunting down that virtual back button that can inconsistently be anywhere on the screen and usually where it's hard to reach one handed.

The one-handed bit is one thing, but inconsistent? Apple's UI guidelines dictate that standard iOS back buttons go in the upper-left corner. Got an example of an app where the back button is present, but not in that corner?

And besides, the point is that you always know what that iOS back button will do in every app, no matter where you are within that app. I'm not saying that Android's button is completely unpredictable, but there's a difference between explicitly knowing what will happen and having to make an educated guess.

Another reason why I might not return to Android...

bgr.com/2015/09/16/android-5-0-lollipop-lockscreen-password-hack/

This is one of the stupidest bug I've ever seen.

I just saw this today. Wonder if Mitchy will just ignore it and keep ranting about iOS security flaws.

Download SwiftKey. It works very well on my 6 Plus.

I just saw this today. Wonder if Mitchy will just ignore it and keep ranting about iOS security flaws.

Do you even know how to read? I use a pattern lock so not affected and neither is pin. People who use password lock screen is probably close to zero.

Do you even know how to read? I use a pattern lock so not affected and neither is pin. People who use password lock screen is probably close to zero.

So because you use pattern lock, everyone does. Basically all phone users are you. You don't like iOS so everyone shouldn't. You think Samsung is gods gift to android, so everyone should. You use pattern lock, so everyone else does too.

Got it. :rolleyes:

Really, if you're going to call someone out at least learn to read or Google search.

2012 poll for screen lock type
http://www.androidcentral.com/late-night-poll-do-you-use-lockscreen-security

2014 poll for screen lock type
http://www.androidcentral.com/weeks-sidebar-poll-how-do-you-secure-your-lockscreen

What is there to read? A poll taken by power users of a platform doesn't mean anything considering the amount of people who use android. You proved that people who frequent a niche topic forum don't use passwords.

How about the huge amount of enterprise users that use a company run mdm that requires a text password to secure the device?

How about the huge amount of enterprise users that use a company run mdm that requires a text password to secure the device?
I deal in sensitive data, so I have to make recommendations for supported phones. Right now I'm basically recommending against all Android phones. I say again, that password bug is stupid as hell.

Help desk can make recommendations all they want but they don't make policy decisions. A company that already has devices in the field will just change the MDM policy to use pin or pattern lock if not already using so.

Plus, this seems to mainly affect Nexus devices. Other devices that don't allow copy/paste in the emergency dialer aren't affected. Tried on two different non-Nexus devices. First, they don't allow copy/paste and attempting to manually dial a long series of asterisks just returns 'hey dumbass that's not a valid emergency number'.

Last edited:
On an up note, IOS9 allows for content blockers inside Safari. There are only a few on the app store right now. I only tested a couple and neither had a white list so I uninstalled them. I believe in supporting the sites you enjoy (like HardOCP) and being able to protect yourself from sites who abuse banner ads (clickbait sites, etc).

Too bad Apple decided to artificially gimp iOS 9 on older devices where they would benefit most by removing ad blocker feature because there's nothing technical preventing it from working since Adguard for Android works fine on older non-64bit devices. Only noticeable difference is more keyboard lag but at least it now has an Android keyboard that shows proper lower and upper case keys. Also, something as simple as picture-in-picture video isn't supported on devices prior to iPad Air but works fine on Android since around 2012. iOS feature fragmentation is horrible.

Id love to switch to a 128gb iPhone 6s+ but I just cant justify the price. Ill sacrifice 3d touch and finger print scanner for a phone that can do a few more things in other areas for almost a third of the price. Basically I refuse to be ripped off.

I canceled my pre-ordered 6s+, last night. Just not ready to give up my jailbroken 6+. I'll re-order when TaiG cracks iOS 9.

A friend showed me his Moto X 2015, today. Very cool phone, but he's not very happy with the battery life. He's a serious power user and recharges twice per day.

Help desk can make recommendations all they want but they don't make policy decisions. A company that already has devices in the field will just change the MDM policy to use pin or pattern lock if not already using so.

Plus, this seems to mainly affect Nexus devices. Other devices that don't allow copy/paste in the emergency dialer aren't affected. Tried on two different non-Nexus devices. First, they don't allow copy/paste and attempting to manually dial a long series of asterisks just returns 'hey dumbass that's not a valid emergency number'.
I think you deserve some credit for not mentioning Apple in this post... Good job.

P.S. I don't know what kind of company you work at where help desk has some say in security matters.

Iphone 6s will evidently arrive on my doorstep tomorrow. Let's see if the 3D touch makes some of my earlier grievances go away with having to go back and forth so often for setting changes etc

Iphone 6s will evidently arrive on my doorstep tomorrow. Let's see if the 3D touch makes some of my earlier grievances go away with having to go back and forth so often for setting changes etc

Eh, idk. iPhone 6s seems like a disappointment. It doesn't seem to have anything that really sets it apart this time around. The iPhone 5s was a disappointment to many, but the CPU performance was much better that time around, the fingerprint sensor was actually really useful and for the black model(space grey), the durability was improved.

This time around we get Force Touch, a new camera (This one can be useful) and usual CPU improvements. I don't know, I'm not seeing it this time.

A friend showed me his Moto X 2015, today. Very cool phone, but he's not very happy with the battery life. He's a serious power user and recharges twice per day.

He probably wouldn't be happy with battery life on anything then, except maybe the Note5. The good thing about the Moto X Pure though is that its quick charger is faster than anything else out right now, even other QC 2.0 phones, so it's not a big deal to charge it back up if you use a quick charger.

I'm excited for my wife to upgrade, interested about that 3D feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the 6S and the 6, it is clear that the 6S is better in almost every way, but the weight. I'm going to press down on it harder the rest of that day to see if the 3D touch thingy works well. I also have my HTC One M8 for comparison, but I need to update that.

Force touch when first announced comes off as a gimmick. Just visualizing it it'll be difficult to gauge how hard to press to get the desired action when gestures make more sense like Google maps double-tap plus slide up/down to zoom out/in, makes one handed use even more difficult and causes one hand to be proportionally bigger due to extra workout. Watching the demo confirms it's a gimmick and probably why Apple only gave it to the iPhone 6s so it doesn't appear identical to last year's model and not on the new iPad Mini 4 or iPad Prosumer.

https://youtu.be/j68sjArLPjk

Back