Android Media Devices

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I figure since there's the influx of new devices to play media and turn your TV into a "SmartTV" we may as well open up some conversation about said devices.

Mine has not arrived yet, however I did order a Mini iMito MX1 (Price $64-$67)

Click Here
41wNH-Z14HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

iMito-MX1-Mini-PC-BRN-01-5.JPG

Specs:
Dual Core 1.6Ghz "RockChip" RK3066
Mali400 Graphics (Supports 1080P playback)
RAM: 1GB
ROM: 8GB (for Application storage)
Android OS: 4.1 Jelly Bean (even though it says Jenny Bean)
Bluetooth: Onboard
MicroSD Port: Expandable to 32GB
MiniUSB Port: YES
Formats: MKV,TS,TP,M2TS,RM/RMVB,BD-ISO,AVI,MPG,VOB,DAT,ASF,TRP,FLV etc full formats
Audio: Audio recoding:DTS,AC3,LPCM,FLAC,HE-AAC; Audio Formats: MP3,OGG,WMA,WMAPRO
Picture: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
E-Book: PDF, TXT etc.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2084142

I'm also ordering one of these:
Minix G4:
Click Here
newest-minix-neo-g4-2013-pclayer.jpg

41sSTx11PrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Specs:

Dual Core: 1.6Ghz
Mali400 Graphics (Supports 1080P playback)
RAM: 1GB
ROM: 8GB
Wifi: B/G/N
Android OS: 4.0 (Updated to 4.1.1)
Bluetooth: NONE
MicroSD Port: Expandable to 32GB
MicroUSB Port: Yes
Formats: MKV,TS,TP,M2TS,RM/RMVB,BD-ISO,AVI,MPG,VOB,DAT,ASF,TRP,FLV etc full formats
Audio: Audio recodingTS,AC3,LPCM,FLAC,HE-AAC; Audio Formats: MP3,OGG,WMA,WMAPRO
Picture: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
E-Book: PDF, TXT etc.

I should have this one in a couple days to start testing some things with. Such as Plex/1080P playback etc.

Ideally these would replace small low powered systems like the Zacate, Atom or even Pi systems.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Right now on the list is to test:
1. Skins in XBMC
2. High Bitrate HD Content
3. Plex
4. Gaming with Controller
5. 5.1 Surround Sound
6. Test BDMV
7. Test VIDEO_TS files (VIDEO_TS Can be played via Wondershare app or Archos Video Player + 3rd Party Codeds)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Interesting. Didn't know these existed. Might try one just because...

Interesting. Didn't know these existed. Might try one just because...

I had seen them before and decided since I didn't really need anything with my Amazon gift cards, I may as well pick up something that I usually wouldn't get to play with. I'm eager to see how this thing performs.

I would like to know how well they play 1080 and 720 MKV's. I have an apple TV 2 with xbmc and some MKV's are to choppy. I'm looking for a replacement.

I would like to know how well they play 1080 and 720 MKV's. I have an apple TV 2 with xbmc and some MKV's are to choppy. I'm looking for a replacement.
It seems with the first two reviews that there is a slight problem with playing 1080P MKV's using XBMC due to hardware acceleration with XBMC. However it may be resolved at this point.

Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8pozwuAq7w

Faster Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyY6_9SPTo

Game Playing Review: (playing Shadowgun)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJJGHubD6g

Last edited:
I been looking at getting the Minix Neo X5 . It appears to have better wifi and not so many other issues of these type of devices you ordered. I really have been reading lot of reviews of all the different brands and it seems that Minix is a little better. The G4 is a stick like you are getting above, but, seemed to have better reviews of it.

I just have to get a flatscreen tv first. I don't have anything with hdmi in my house. I am poo

I really want to wait for something with a Tegra 3 at least to come out. I'd like something with a bit more graphical horsepower now that we are seeing a few good 3D games coming out for Android. Dead Trigger and Riptide GP to name a couple...

I really want to wait for something with a Tegra 3 at least to come out. I'd like something with a bit more graphical horsepower now that we are seeing a few good 3D games coming out for Android. Dead Trigger and Riptide GP to name a couple...

This is from someone that reviewed the MX1

"On of the most played games on the Android platform is Angry Birds and this games runs smoothly on the iMito MX1 and can be played very well with a mouse. Games like Temple Run and Dead Trigger seem to perform really well too but you simply cannot control them by mouse or keyboard. Temple Run won’t even let you start the game while Dead Trigger doesn’t allow you to aim or fire. These problems can be solved by hooking up a PS3 or XBOX360 controller but this requires your device to be rooted."

and of course rooting it:
http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=448

Oh, and apparently Quad core versions will be coming soon at $89. But right now they are hard to come by.

But aren't those the freescale processors and not rockchips? I have seen a few and they where freescale base processors, I believe.

Yes, they are Freescale Processors. I'm not sure how they perform against the RockChips. I'd be willing to bet that at the very least, the quad core would perform better than the rockchip dual core. Or at least make things seem a lot smoother.

As soon as I get mine in, I'll be running a few tests on it, and Plex will be one of those tests.

this could be really awesome or really awful. i'll have to watch this thread and see i suppose :)

I'm still on the fence about ordering this....is there something better close to this price?

Updated info on the first post. Added an XDA developers link for this device. It seems the general conversation is about the MX1 (Aluminum case) and MX2 (Plastic Case) being pretty much the best ones that are readily available.

Are you going to using this via the built in wifi? All these sticks seem to have wifi issues if no hardware mod is done. Of course there are some using usb wifi dongles, which require drivers. Thats why I am looking at the minix neo x5, the wifi issue doesn't seem to be as relevant with this device as its like a little roku box.

I'll be testing the built in wifi to see how it goes. If it doesn't work all that well, then I will see about removing the case, and if THAT doesn't work, then I'll just add external

Where does one find the Mx2? The plastic one is said to have better wifi than the metal.

It would seem that if one uses an HDMI extension cable rather than hiding this tiny thing behind a bunch of gear, the wifi could be improved. If the antenna is on the outside of the device, then it needs to be "up in the air" to ensure getting the best wifi signal possible. Many could be "mis-reporting" wifi performance simply by not using the device correctly.

Hope you chose faster shipping than I did. lol

Let us know what you think of it.

Naw...I went cheap. I'm sure you'll get your before me, so I can learn from your experience. :)

Yeah, that's a more recent development. I didn't want to link Newegg but it was where I was due to looking at the current deal and so I linked the keyboard.

Ya these are cool, i want to get one so bad.. but my phone has hdmi out.. also i can get a laptop for 130ish with hdmi that will do everything ;( dunno if would use this unless in a pinch or like a thumb drive that plays movies i will order one with quad core tho for 80 im sure be to tempting not to.

Dell is probably just rebranding one of the no-name ones. Although you would probably get a better warranty via Dell.

You never know...the might actually put some engineering muscle behind them too. With Dell's support, we could see better specs all around.

I would be interested having a brand name like dell also. With their backing, or some other company like them would be better about pushing updates aswell.

You never know...the might actually put some engineering muscle behind them too. With Dell's support, we could see better specs all around.

Dell's not an innovator, they are an integrator.

So it looks like mine is going to arrive earlier than expected so I might have reviews for both coming soon.

Back