Android apps for smartphones

xuerebx

Limp Gawd
So...could you guys share the apps you've got installed? The good ones.

They could be anything from games to utilities, just try to give some information about what the app is about. I'll start with some recent ones I've installed:

- Airdroid: You connect the mobile to your computer through the wifi and you can control your phone on it. You can send text messages et cetera.

-Paper Camera: You can add filters to your camera like sepia and other crap.

Wi-FI Analyzer is perfect for viewing the signal strength of wi-fi signals in the area. It also shows which channel each AP is broadcasting on, this will help you choose an unoccupied channel for your new AP when setting up a new wireless network.

ElectroDroid is a fantastic tool for electrical circuit troubleshooting. It decodes resistor and capacitor value codes, many other symbols and abbreviations, and it has pin-out diagrams for most common PC and consumer hardware. (DVI, HDMI, Ethernet, SCSI, IDE, USB, Firewire...)

Fing shows you all devices connected to a wireless network.

ES File Browser - browse windows shares via wifi
Ventriloid - Ventrilo on Android
GenPlusDroid - Sega Genesis Emulator
Newegg - Newegg
L&M Guitar - Guitar tuner+ more
Andy - 83 - Ti 83 calculator emulator

I'll just mention a few free ones.

MX Video Player - Will utilize your HW accel well but also has a good SW decoder for the rest of the formats. Supports subtitles as well.

SMS Backup & Restore - Does what it's called.

Chrome to Phone - Works with Firefox and Chrome. You click a button on your desktop and it'll send the current link straight to your phone.

Evernote - Sync notes web and app. Some 3rd party apps also can sync data to Evernote.

Titanium Backup (root) - If you have root, this is a tremendous tool. Backs up and restores apps.

Here's my utilities list copied from MyBackup Pro. A number of them were purchased during the recent promotion.

Addons Detector Apk
ADWLauncher EX Apk
AirDroid Apk
AroundMe Apk
ASTRO Apk
Battery Left Apk
Blik Calendar Widget Apk
BobClockD3 Apk
Camera ZOOM FX Apk
ConnectBot Apk
DI Radio Apk
Dolphin Browser HD Apk
Dropbox Apk
Endomondo PRO Apk
Evernote Apk
ezPDF Reader Apk
Foursquare Apk
Google Voice Apk
GPS Test Apk
GrooVe IP Apk
gTabSiMiClock Apk
LED Light Apk
Lunafaqt Apk
mClock Apk
Minimalistic Text Apk
MP3 Music Download v2 Apk
MyBackup Pro Apk
Paper Camera Apk
Pixlr-o-matic Apk
Podkicker Apk
Quick Settings Apk
Raindar Apk
ReadItLater Apk
Remote RDP Apk
Shazam Apk
Simple Notepad Apk
Slacker Apk
SoundHound Apk
Speed Test Apk
Springpad Apk
Star Chart Apk
Stocks Apk
SwiftKey X Apk
Tango Apk

Thank you guys!! And thanks for that huge list arcturus, I'm installing about 10 of those already. :D

Lets see, the ones I use... a few need root.

Alarm Clock Plus - Great alarm clock app
Aura for EVE Online - Keeps me updated on my character in EVE Online
CatLog - Logcat reader
Bubble - Virtual level
CamScanner - Impressive app that scans docs using your camera
Compass - Self-explanitory
Doom Live Wallpaper - Best Live wallpaper ever... Doom guy blows away the hordes from Hell
ES File Explorer - File system and root explorer
Facebook
Firefox
Go Launcher EX - Free custom launcher + lots of widgets and skins for it
Google Chrome to Phone - zap any website you're viewing on Chrome to your phone
Pretty much any Google app: Voice, Maps, Sky Map, Goggles, Gmail, Plus, etc
IVONA Text-to-Speech - Best TTS voices I've found, and free. I prefer the UK Amy voice.
Logcat Live Wallpaper - live wallpaper for Android nerds
Mint - Finance tracking
Netflix - Streaming movies = awesome
OnLive - Playing PC and console games live on my phone via the cloud
Our Groceries - Shopping list synchronization app
Pandora - Streaming radio
PocketCloud Remote RDP - Access my home desktop from anywhere
Roam Control - Lets me force my Sprint phone to roam onto Verizon's network if coverage is spotty
ROM Manager - Easy way to update supported ROMs
Scanner Radio - Listen in on local emergency services.
Swype - My favorite virtual keyboard
Swiftkey X - Another virtual keyboard, amazing word prediction.
Terminal Emulator - Puts you at the command prompt for Android.
TeslaLED - Flashlight app
Titanium Backup PRO - App backup and restoral
Voodoo Control Plus - Custom audio drivers for Samsung Galaxy S + audiophile configuration settings
WidgetLocker Lockscreen - Custom build-your-own lockscreens... absolutely awesome
WinAmp - Media player
WolframAlpha - Scientific search engine

Tasker - Best. App. Ever. This app lets power users do virtually anything with their phone. It works by letting you specify triggers and actions, and is quite easy to use, while still allowing for some very complex tasks. It costs a few bucks but it's well worth it. A free and simpler alternative is AutomateIt. Here's what I've done with Tasker, entirely on my own:

• Set up secret text messages that trigger the phone to gather information such as GPS location (reverse geocoded to an address), speed, heading, altitude, local cell tower ID and signal strength, nearby and connected WiFi SSIDs, WAN IP, currently open app, whether the screen is turned on, battery strength, and covert photographs taken from the front and rear cameras (including one that was captured from the front camera when the screen was last unlocked) and text/email me back without notifying whomever has the phone. Another message will make my phone freak out, announce it's been stolen, announce that all of the above information has been sent to the owner of the phone, flash the LED in an SOS, and force all outbound calls to go to me.
  • If I send a secret message to my phone, it calls me back, and enables speakerphone, so I can speak with whomever has my phone. It also reroutes any outbound calls to my number. I can also ask it to send me photos from the front and rear cameras on the phone.
  • Ensured that when the phone is connected to my home's local cell tower, it always rings when I call it. I never have to worry about it being on vibrate while under a couch cushion or in a snowbank next to the driveway.
  • When I plug in a headset or it connects to my car's bluetooth, it pops up a list of media applications for me to use, and if I don't select one or back out of the selection, it automatically starts my Pandora, and kills the app when I unplug / disconnect.
  • When it detects the cell tower near my work, it enables vibrate.
  • If it detects a cell tower that is not the one near my home or work, it turns on the ringer and disables WiFi (unless I re-enable it).
  • If someone calls me that I don't even want a voicemail from, I add their number to a list in Tasker, and when they call me, it picks up the line and immediately hangs it up. Working on one that will play back a fake "Your call could not be completed as dialed" message.
  • Checks accuweather.com in the morning on work days to see if it's raining, snowing, sleeting, or hailing. If any of the above, it rings an alarm 30 minutes early. I also built in snooze functions and a voice notification in the morning about the outside temperature and conditions. This script recently broke (accuweather probably did something to affect the output of my HTTPGet) so I've been using the voice notification in Alarm Clock Plus, though it doesn't wake me up early. With current weather conditions I'm going to have to get my script fixed for the head start.
  • If I start Google Navigation with GPS disabled, it closes the app, enables GPS, and starts the app back up again. No more fiddling with GPS settings while on the go.

I'll probably be back to add more. :)

Last edited:
That CamScanner is AWESOME.

Yep, saved my ass when I got my new job last month... my employer had just made some changes to their HR and forgot to let me know that a whole bunch of paperwork was due before my date of hire. They contacted me in a panic the day before I was to be hired and asked me to get it all filled out, signed, scanned and emailed to them by the end of the business day.

I CamScanned it all, attached the PDFs and emailed from my phone on my lunch break. You would have no idea that I didn't scan it in on a flatbed. I later met the new HR woman at a company party where she apologized for their mistake and thanked me for being so prompt. :)

Haha, really came in handy then!

I don't think I'll have stories like that, but it'll be useful for scanning 2-3 page documents I get for uni without having to go to the nearest stationary and printing it.

Thanks man.

I'll take a look at your edit.

Yeah... I added Tasker to the list (in it's own section at the bottom). Ironically it's my favorite app, I just bought it straight from the developer and not from the App Market so it wasn't in the list I was looking at market.android.com and thus slipped my mind. If you're the type to automate your phone and make it do whatever you want, it's amazing. For a free and simpler alternative, take a look at AutomateIt.

Also added Roam Control... not sure if it works on non-Galaxy S devices but it's very handy.

I won't add them to the list but AppBrain and AppAware are also good ways to find new useful apps.

Cheers man. I'll have to download this thread, lots of useful apps mentioned. Good to post when other people ask for apps.

Anybody have/know of the best free simple screen capture app out there that doesn't require rooting?

I used to use Screen Capture Shortcut Free on my captivate on 2.2 but then I got a replacement and it says it's incompatible now, even though it worked fine before :mad:

I've tried a few free ones on the market but they've been absolutely disastrous, not sure what happened to a good old simple screen capture app.

Otherwise, Fling and Wifi Analyzer are good picks

Tasker - Best. App. Ever. This app lets power users do virtually anything with their phone. It works by letting you specify triggers and actions, and is quite easy to use, while still allowing for some very complex tasks. It costs a few bucks but it's well worth it. A free and simpler alternative is AutomateIt. Here's what I've done with Tasker, entirely on my own:

• Set up secret text messages that trigger the phone to gather information such as GPS location (reverse geocoded to an address), speed, heading, altitude, local cell tower ID and signal strength, nearby and connected WiFi SSIDs, WAN IP, currently open app, whether the screen is turned on, battery strength, and covert photographs taken from the front and rear cameras (including one that was captured from the front camera when the screen was last unlocked) and text/email me back without notifying whomever has the phone. Another message will make my phone freak out, announce it's been stolen, announce that all of the above information has been sent to the owner of the phone, flash the LED in an SOS, and force all outbound calls to go to me.
  • If I send a secret message to my phone, it calls me back, and enables speakerphone, so I can speak with whomever has my phone. It also reroutes any outbound calls to my number. I can also ask it to send me photos from the front and rear cameras on the phone.
  • Ensured that when the phone is connected to my home's local cell tower, it always rings when I call it. I never have to worry about it being on vibrate while under a couch cushion or in a snowbank next to the driveway.
  • When I plug in a headset or it connects to my car's bluetooth, it pops up a list of media applications for me to use, and if I don't select one or back out of the selection, it automatically starts my Pandora, and kills the app when I unplug / disconnect.
  • When it detects the cell tower near my work, it enables vibrate.
  • If it detects a cell tower that is not the one near my home or work, it turns on the ringer and disables WiFi (unless I re-enable it).
  • If someone calls me that I don't even want a voicemail from, I add their number to a list in Tasker, and when they call me, it picks up the line and immediately hangs it up. Working on one that will play back a fake "Your call could not be completed as dialed" message.
  • Checks accuweather.com in the morning on work days to see if it's raining, snowing, sleeting, or hailing. If any of the above, it rings an alarm 30 minutes early. I also built in snooze functions and a voice notification in the morning about the outside temperature and conditions. This script recently broke (accuweather probably did something to affect the output of my HTTPGet) so I've been using the voice notification in Alarm Clock Plus, though it doesn't wake me up early. With current weather conditions I'm going to have to get my script fixed for the head start.

I'll probably be back to add more. :)

:eek:

I'm tempted to dish out the money haha

My favorite new app is called Voodoo Your Buddy. You can take a picture
of anyone you know and make them into your own Voodoo Doll. You can
even put pins into them and hear them scream.
A very useful app-
Google Finance- app that regularly gets overlooked. It connects to your Google Finance account, where you can set up a list of stocks and companies to follow and sort them into groups (portfolios). The app provides three simple tabs — a look at the market, a look at your portfolios, and the latest market news. It even does real-time updates when you have the app open.

Wow, none of y'all play any games, huh? (the OP did mention games)

So here are some good games (i've got a Droid Bionic):

Grand Theft Auto III: 10th Anniversary Edition - needs no explaination, perfect port.
Riptide GP - high speed jetski racing, awesome graphics
Shine Runner - run 'shine through the swamp on your airboat. Trade at the stores. A cross between "dopewars" and arcade racer games

I'll try and hit what hasn't been mentioned yet.

Games:
Homerun Battle 3D
Jelly Defense
Either of the Reckless Racings
N64oid

Apps:
Pocket Caster
Google music
Jefit (for anyone that works out)
MediaDog (controls htpc programs)
CoPilot Live (nav program that doesn't require data)
Gaia GPS (topo nav program that doesn't require data)
Ivona Text To Speech - get rid of that annoying robot sounding voice on your phone
Pulse - a nice rss reader
Tune in Radio
Square - a free credit card reader program. The company will send you a free reader that plugs into your headphone jack too. No more waiting for friends to pay you back for things ;)
WiFi File explorer
XBMC Remote - for you xbmc users

+1 on IVONA text to speech. It takes up > 200 meg of space on your SD card but it's soooo worth it.

I've actually used the voice to listen to ebooks with an app (I think it was Moon Reader or something?) that would read them back to me. Not as good as a book on tape obviously but pretty impressive nonetheless.

I would list some games but honestly, I have a bad habit of downloading games or buying them on special and then never playing them. I don't see much point in playing mobile games when I can play PC games on OnLive.

:eek:

I'm tempted to dish out the money haha

It's worth it if you like to tinker. I just spent more on a Baconator, and it's already gone. :p

Last edited:
I would list some games but honestly, I have a bad habit of downloading games or buying them on special and then never playing them. I don't see much point in playing mobile games when I can play PC games on OnLive.
I'm slowly getting tired of mobile games too. This pay to play credit system that they all seem to be putting out is putting me off from a lot of otherwise good games. Most of my time is spent watching TV or movies if I have a few minutes to kill.

I will say that Gameloft's Spiderman game was really dang good.

I'm slowly getting tired of mobile games too. This pay to play credit system that they all seem to be putting out is putting me off from a lot of otherwise good games. Most of my time is spent watching TV or movies if I have a few minutes to kill.

I will say that Gameloft's Spiderman game was really dang good.

Yep, I'll find myself looking at a long list of games to play in my app drawer on a break or lunch, and 90% of the time I just punch Netflix and watch some more Mad Men instead.

Thanks for everyone contributing! Been downloading some of the apps mentioned.

Unfortunately the gaming apps are incompatible with my wildfire s and they're not free.

Anybody have/know of the best free simple screen capture app out there that doesn't require rooting?

I used to use Screen Capture Shortcut Free on my captivate on 2.2 but then I got a replacement and it says it's incompatible now, even though it worked fine before :mad:

I've tried a few free ones on the market but they've been absolutely disastrous, not sure what happened to a good old simple screen capture app.

Otherwise, Fling and Wifi Analyzer are good picks

Good call. Are there any apps around which allow you to take a screenshot? My phone can't be rooted (well, it can, but you need some xclip thing).

I'll just mention a few free ones.

MX Video Player - Will utilize your HW accel well but also has a good SW decoder for the rest of the formats. Supports subtitles as well.

SMS Backup & Restore - Does what it's called.

Chrome to Phone - Works with Firefox and Chrome. You click a button on your desktop and it'll send the current link straight to your phone.

Evernote - Sync notes web and app. Some 3rd party apps also can sync data to Evernote.

Titanium Backup (root) - If you have root, this is a tremendous tool. Backs up and restores apps.

interesting but does MoBo player have HW acceleration as well? it's not handling my 480p videos well. i downsize it using Handbrake from 720p to 480p but it still chokes "sometimes". I've even overclocked to 1.3 but still think its the HW accel problem. Let me know. Thanks

Games:
Apparatus
Jelly Defense

Utility:
Currents
Read It Later
Pocket Casts
Tapatalk
Dropbox
Titanium Backup
Root Explorer

Back