Android 8.1 beta

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Anyone else load this yesterday for their Nexus or Pixel devices? It adds all that sexy functionality from the Pixel2 to the older line up.

Some things are kinda wonky, but so far so good.

I'm not used to being able to install stuff like this :p
What's it add/change specifically compared to normal Android 8?

I'm not used to being able to install stuff like this :p
What's it add/change specifically compared to normal Android 8?

From what I understand it is a patch adding Pixel2 features to the older Google phones.

running it on my Pixel XL. So far so good. No issues that I have found.

Only minor annoyance is not being able to turn off the google search bar at the bottom of the home screen. They need to fix that. I never use that.

Installed on my pixel 1 xl. Looks like Google has finally fixed the Bluetooth stuttering for me. I guess they increased CPU time to Bluetooth which solved the issue. Battery life is fantastic for me at 24 hours battery use with 5 hours screen on time

I installed it on my Pixel 2 XL, mainly to add the "fade to" transparency nav bar. I'm trying to avoid the "screen burn in" issue from the start. Google added this to help alleviate burn in on the LG panels.

Have not run into any issues out of the norm!

I have very very slight button burn in on my Pixel XL. You can't see it unless displaying a solid color screen. It's a non issue really.

I have very very slight button burn in on my Pixel XL. You can't see it unless displaying a solid color screen. It's a non issue really.

Same here on my 6P. I don't think it's permanent burn-in though, just temporary image retention that seems to fade after a while when the nav bar isn't present and the screen isn't at lower brightness.

In fact I don't think any of my previous AMOLED phones has had permanent burn-in, even my Gnex despite it ghosting horribly and had clear image retention issues at anything less than max brightness. So I have a feeling that's all the reported Pixel 2 XL owners are seeing; just image retention that will eventually fade away if all static images (like the nav bar) are removed and you crank the brightness up for a bit.

Either way, it's hardly noticeable on anything other than a solid light color background, so I wouldn't worry too much about it either. But some of the other minor issues with the 2 XL do make it hard to justify its price IMO. I would love to own one, but I'm not willing to compromise on much on a $850+ phone. Hopefully there's a sale on one somewhere (besides Verizon) for BF, but I'm not counting on it.

Back