Android 2.2 App Recommendations?

Battery Left - great battery monitoring app.

Locale, Tasker, or Timeriffic - you can use any of them to turn off the phone's cellular radio (airplane mode), which is a huge battery savings if you have a time/place where that is useful/desired. I use Timeriffic to 'reboot' my radio nightly. The _only_ thing I miss from Blackberry OS is the ability to power off/up the phone.

TalkMyPhone - controls your phone over google talk (XMPP) including battery messages, SMS forwarding, and incoming call notification. It's great for sending text messages from a real keyboard.

Flashlight app - Some kind of flashlight app that turns on/off your LED flash is super useful. I use MotoTorch LED on my Droid 1.

Too new to have used any apps other than fancy, just got my droid 2G and wanted to post using swype even. First smart phone so I'll be entertained for a while.

I tried Launcher Pro and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Can someone spot me a few examples of where it stands out over the stock interface (for a Samsung Fascinate, in my case).

Widgetsoid - Fully Customizable Switcher App - Similar to Power Control, but it's Free!
Toggle Data, Wifi, Bluetooth, 4G(beta), Flashlight, Adjust Brightness(custom levels), more
Also can Launch Apps, Media Controls.
widgetsoid.png

Can have a solid background, full transparent, semi transparent, Colored transparency.
Change indicator LED color, and shape. Very stable (EVO), maybe once a month a FC.

I tried Launcher Pro and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Can someone spot me a few examples of where it stands out over the stock interface (for a Samsung Fascinate, in my case).
I didn't see the appeal of it either. I use Zeam. I liked the stock Touchwiz that came with it the best so far.

Someone already mentioned PowerAmp. That's by bar the best music player available for Android. An alternative would be Winamp for anyone that doesn't want to shell out a few $$ for Poweramp.
Beautiful Widgets is also very nice if you want a nice clock/weather widget on your homescreen which can be skinned from a HUGE gallery of free skins.
The stock launcher in Android 2.2 is alright, but it only gives you two buttons. Launcher Pro gives a whole bunch more app-launcher buttons if you don't want to fill up your home screen(s).
ADW launcher is also nice which has big variety of skins/icons available. ADW also supports gestures which can be tied to specific events or applications.
Google Voice is another must have. It's free voice mail service from google who will also transcribe it and send you an email and/or SMS message. You can check your GV voice mail online.
Handcent is much nicer sms/texting client than the stock Android.
Finally, there's mnote for cloud note taking. It's very basic as far as note taking apps go, but it uses SimpleNote for cloud storage. You create a free account at www.simplenote.com than you put notes into it and they appear in mnote and visa-versa.

Widgetsoid - Fully Customizable Switcher App - Similar to Power Control, but it's Free!
Toggle Data, Wifi, Bluetooth, 4G(beta), Flashlight, Adjust Brightness(custom levels), more
Also can Launch Apps, Media Controls.
widgetsoid.png

Can have a solid background, full transparent, semi transparent, Colored transparency.
Change indicator LED color, and shape. Very stable (EVO), maybe once a month a FC.

OMG dude THANK YOU. I've been wanting this FOREVAAAAAA!

OMG dude THANK YOU. I've been wanting this FOREVAAAAAA!

You can also have this for free (not sure if it's a paid app or not) in CM 6 ;)

Also regarding Launcher Pro Plus, I'm waiting for Fede to finish his complete re-write. Ideally should blow every launcher out of the water since it's written from scratch and not just improved 2.0 launcher code.

I found me some new apps to download,
Apps that I use,
LauncherPro
Handcent
Dolphin Browser HD
Wordfeud
aCar
NFL Mobile
Trillian
Angry Birds
Our Groceries
Astro
gStrings
Pageonce
Titanium Backup
Weatherbug

Faster, smoother, 3D app screen, the dock scrolling is awesome too...way too many things. Even the latest version of TW pales although is a lot better than before.
I have tried almost all of them and always come back to Launcher Pro. ADW is nice too with the themes and stuff.

If you're rooted (which I assume most people are) Titanium Backup is awesome.
It's free to backup your apps, but to batch reinstall them I think you need to donate $2.99 for a license key. It saves me so much time when I change roms.

If you are overclocking (I'm using a droid 1) then setCPU is essential although you probably already know that.
I also like Temp Monitor. It's not completely necessary, but since I'm overclocking I like to keep an eye on my battery and cpu temp.

Something that's also made things nice for me is Locale. It's great not to have to worry about changing settings on your phone. However, I wish it could change settings based on more conditions. It doesn't have calendar based event changing. However, I think it's tracking of events is very accurate. It used to be a little slow to respond to GPS changes but it's much better now. Other options are Setting Profiles and Tasker but I haven't looked too much into them since Locale works pretty well for me.

Back