Android 2.2 App Recommendations?

sugosugita

[H]ard|Gawd
This is to all you Androiders out there, what apps and widgets are you guys using on an everyday basis?

I'd also like to know a good battery management strategy you guys use on the newer phones (I have the evo) since I've read here and there that task killers are overrated.

Thoughts?

I use color note hourly for jotting stuff down to remember or need.

angry birds, homerun battle

Im running cyanogenmod nightlies on my evo.

Weatherbug, Winamp

That's about it right now, but I just installed a new ROM last night. Oxygen 0.2.1 for the Desire.

endomondo for exercise tracking
Key Ring- scans your bar codes and stores them. Still need to try this to confirm it works but I'm hoping I can take the Jewel and Dominicks (grocery store chains) cards out of my wallet with it. The lady at the library wouldnt let me try it there... I'll try again with a younger person that understands tech a little better.

--edit- yeah, loyalty cards, that's what they're called. Take them out of your wallet and off your keychain.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head

Wireless Tether
Reddit is fun (Reddit app)
Music Mod (music player)
Doubletwist (music player)
Barcode Scanner
Mangler (Ventrilo app)
Angry Birds

black_b[ ]x;1036443497 said:
The lady at the library wouldnt let me try it there... I'll try again with a younger person that understands tech a little better.

ROFL man that is hilarious .I can just picture it.

Key Ring- scans your bar codes and stores them. Still need to try this to confirm it works but I'm hoping I can take the Jewel and Dominicks (grocery store chains) cards out of my wallet with it. The lady at the library wouldnt let me try it there... I'll try again with a younger person that understands tech a little better.

You should have ripped the barcode off of the book and ate it right in front of her and told her she now had no choice but to scan your phone.

Key Ring- scans your bar codes and stores them.

I had never heard of this till I just saw this post, hit the website for the app, learned about it, and I can't stop thinking "Ok, this is what a killer app is supposed to be." I'll have to grab it later and load up my HD2 running HyperDroid with some of those damned loyalty cards (and my library one as well). That is just freakin' awesome stuff... ;)

i didn't expect this much interest in the bar code thing, I've only just started using it so I hope it's not a virus :D it's a great concept though.

I also have Inrix Traffic! for... traffic. And a 2G/3G widget to help toggle those to save battery (first click takes you to the menu screen to toggle, there is no single-click toggle I'm aware of).

Dictionary.com
-- for the millions vocabs that I don't know while reading

Gesture Search
-- searches phone items
Dropbox
-- transfering files/notes/tracks between phone and pc via the cloud

Android Agenda Widget
-- big calendar in homescreen
-- best one i've tried out of ~5 similar apps
ColorNote
-- 2 widgets set on home screen: to do & notes
-- best one i've tried out of ~5 similar apps
Two Touch Timer
-- attempts to make me focus; pomodora technique

My Tracks
-- for my running stats

AdFree
-- block ads from dictionary app that i frequently use
Fancy Widget
-- clock/weather widget
-- tied best one i've tried out of ~5 similar apps: tie with Beautiful Widget

The Endomondo exercise app mentioned above looks nice. I will try it out today. Thx!

Last edited:
My phone is older (Droid 1) but the best changes I've made for the battery are running Cyanogen w/ an undervolted kernel, plus keeping Wifi off and brightness to low/medium. I don't think there's anything else you can run to save battery life.

It's pretty easy to find good apps, but the one that floats under the radar is XScope Lite browser. Very quick, and the 1 hand zooming is so much better than pinch to zoom.

If you want to save battery life with the EVO, go into the settings, accounts and sync, and go to facebook. Change the sync frequency from every two hours to every 24 hours. MASSIVE battery saver. Also make sure any non-gmail email is checked every hour (instead of every 5 minutes like my idiotic customers set it to).

Launcher Pro or Launcher pro plus is the only must have app to have. IMO :)

Other apps that I use:

pure widget calendar
beautiful widgets
quick profile

Can't get by without these.

PowerAmp music player (the best hands down)

Thanks for the rec. I've been meaning to install a good music player and transfer over part of my mp3 collection to listen on my phone. PowerAmp does look like a pretty cool app.

I just switched over to Jorte calendar. Much better than the stock calendar app IMO.

What phone are you on? I actually like the HTC Sense calendar & widgets a lot. very slick.
Samsung Vibrant.

I like the widget for Jorte (not my image):
3.jpg

most of the apps I use have already been mentioned above, I don't know if you have seen any commercials for it but I use lookout which is an anti-virus,back-up and missing device app. The missing device part got my attention, used the missing device on the website and found pretty much where it was( it wasn't stolen just wanted to see if it was legit).

https://www.mylookout.com/

most of the apps I use have already been mentioned above, I don't know if you have seen any commercials for it but I use lookout which is an anti-virus,back-up and missing device app. The missing device part got my attention, used the missing device on the website and found pretty much where it was( it wasn't stolen just wanted to see if it was legit).

https://www.mylookout.com/

kinda cool. pretty simple to have an app ping out GPS coordinates. handy too.

--edit- yeah, loyalty cards, that's what they're called. Take them out of your wallet and off your keychain.

I was about to use this.... then I saw it uses network communication. That's too iffy for me, especially when it's storing passwords and credit card information.

I was about to use this.... then I saw it uses network communication. That's too iffy for me, especially when it's storing passwords and credit card information.

It's not storing credit cards OR passwords, it's storing reward card info. Basically key chain tags that you get at the supermarket.

It's not storing credit cards OR passwords, it's storing reward card info. Basically key chain tags that you get at the supermarket.

That's odd, the one I was looking at said something about that.... maybe I was looking at the wrong one? :confused:

it has "partner programs" and such, also includes listings/logos for Jewel/dominicks so i'm assuming that's what the connection is for. If you can find a bar code storage app with no connectivity, i'd prefer that as well.

that is quite attractive. is your phone rooted?
Mine is but it doesn't need to be to run jorte.

I'm rooted and running Axura 2.0.3 Froyo. To say that Axura is an improvement is an understatement. The phone is 500 times faster and has very polished menu animations along with all of the benefits of Froyo. The only reason I rooted was to get rid of the ads in Angry Birds and the only reason I loaded a Rom is because T-mobile are a bunch of retards that refuse to push OTA's to me.

Don't bother with that keyring app, it sucks. It's hit out miss so you'll need to keep your cards on you which completely defeats the purpose.

Mine is but it doesn't need to be to run jorte.

I'm rooted and running Axura 2.0.3 Froyo. To say that Axura is an improvement is an understatement. The phone is 500 times faster and has very polished menu animations along with all of the benefits of Froyo. The only reason I rooted was to get rid of the ads in Angry Birds and the only reason I loaded a Rom is because T-mobile are a bunch of retards that refuse to push OTA's to me.

Just rooted my Evo and it roxxors! it's a night and day difference with setCPU extending my battery life. It's almost funny since now my phone gets like normal phone useage before needing a recharge. before it was like ten hours max. Now I can easily get a day or two of regular use.

Just rooted my Evo and it roxxors! it's a night and day difference with setCPU extending my battery life. It's almost funny since now my phone gets like normal phone useage before needing a recharge. before it was like ten hours max. Now I can easily get a day or two of regular use.

Now find yourself a low voltage kernel and really ramp up your battery life. :D

@Blown thanks for the info on Jorte. It was exactly what I was looking for in a calendar widget. I've been re-doing my entire interface because things were getting out of hand and I was up to 7 pages. Now if only I could learn GIMP faster so I can continue making custom icons. :(

I only use FREE apps because I'm not a sucker....

Astrid - Great for audio/visual reminders and setting appointments (and grocery lists)

TasKiller (search one word TASKiller, not 2) - Closes unwanted apps that auto-open & drain battery faster

Movies - For finding movies and times locally really fast

Barcode Scanner - Literally scans barcodes on gum, lighter, games, ANYTHING to find the best deals online. (doesn't work on odd stuff, mostly every day normal things will show up though)

Google Sky Map - One of the coolest nerd apps out... entertaining if you're drunk outside and smoking. Or like space stuff. This app is definitely better and cheaper than anything the new iphone 4 can get, I compared the 2 phones.... you gotta pay $2.99 on the iphone to get something half as good, while the google version is FREE

Im rockin myns warm 2.2 rls3 right now for my rom. Also angry birds, handcent, nfs shift, tapatalk pro, rom manager and titanium are my essentials. Oh, cant forget about google voice (basically i have two numbers on my phone to call from)

TasKiller (search one word TASKiller, not 2) - Closes unwanted apps that auto-open & drain battery faster

just a heads up, most apps stored in memory aren't using any battery, it's the CPU use that kills ya. That's why underclocking utilities extend the battery life so well. In fact most devs who build custom ROMs are against task-killer type programs because of the problems they cause. Linux (android), like iOS, will automatically free up memory when it needs more, so no need to manage system memory.

What kinda sucks though is that apps that allow you to set your CPU speed and stuff only work on rooted devices, so if you are running stock, you're kinda out of luck.

just a heads up, most apps stored in memory aren't using any battery, it's the CPU use that kills ya. That's why underclocking utilities extend the battery life so well. In fact most devs who build custom ROMs are against task-killer type programs because of the problems they cause. Linux (android), like iOS, will automatically free up memory when it needs more, so no need to manage system memory.

What kinda sucks though is that apps that allow you to set your CPU speed and stuff only work on rooted devices, so if you are running stock, you're kinda out of luck.

I am still using old, android 1.6.... I always have issues when I open up 5+ multiple tabs in the browser on my now outdated HTC Magic.

Also, I have a HUGE issue with this wierd app that always pops up when I am not using the phone (and oddly enough, it auto-opens and sends data after every call I make!)

It's called "My Uploads" ---- I CANNOT FIND ANY HELP with this damn wierd app. I cannot delete it by default as well! ..... It sends data after my calls like I said (can you say fishy?)

If anyone knows anything about this MY UPLOADS app..... I am not tech enough to figure it out and I searched google HIGH and LOW believe me.

I am still using old, android 1.6.... I always have issues when I open up 5+ multiple tabs in the browser on my now outdated HTC Magic.

Also, I have a HUGE issue with this wierd app that always pops up when I am not using the phone (and oddly enough, it auto-opens and sends data after every call I make!)

It's called "My Uploads" ---- I CANNOT FIND ANY HELP with this damn wierd app. I cannot delete it by default as well! ..... It sends data after my calls like I said (can you say fishy?)

If anyone knows anything about this MY UPLOADS app..... I am not tech enough to figure it out and I searched google HIGH and LOW believe me.

Root and remove via Titanium Backup

Back