Android 2.1 OTA update for Droid , starting on March 18

About time Motorola and VZN got around to releasing 2.1 to us. Too bad all the custom ROMs out there already have all the 2.1 functionality. You couldn't pay me to go back to stock and use the official 2.1. :p

From what I read over at Droidforums it is rumored to be something like 1,000 people at noon today. 9,000 more tonight just before midnight. 10,000 tomorrow and then 200,000 every night until everybody has it.

What are the big changes for 2.1? I've heard about the custom ROMs(root versions) but I am pretty happy with the functionality that I have now.

Multitouch in the default browers, google maps, and picture galleries...live wallpapers, new clock program, new news/weather program, better yahoo mail integration.

DROID-OTA-Delay.jpg

womp womp

<image snip>

womp womp

Shouldn't be stealing somebody elses bandwidth. ;)

Back to the topic though:

This has been confirmed.
All I can do is laugh at this since it makes me glad I rooted because this is ridiculous.

From our anonymous tipster: “Not sure if you’ve heard, but the real reason for the latest delay on the Android 2.1 update for Droid phones is due to Motorola’s distribution vendor (Bitfone- now owned by HP). They are having capacity problems with a) the Bitfone application that distributes the updates and b) capacity issues with the current network infrastructure that hosts this application. I spoke to one of the engineers personally and they mentioned that Motorola reps have been “bugging them all day” because of the 3/18 commitment date.”

Rumor is that roll out will instead start sometime tomorrow morning.

I still have nothing yet either, oh well. It will get here when it gets here I guess

Motorola and Verizon, dropping the ball bigtime on the smartphone of the year. Doubt I'll ever have anything to do with Motorola again after this fiasco, esp since so many other devices (Milestones) in other countries are being released with 2.1 and we're left out in the cold.

The moment another Android device comes out with a physical keyboard, better CPU, etc that isn't a Moto phone I'm jumping ship ASAP.

I've no problem waiting. Phone is great. Ringer is loud, call quality rocks. Gets a little warm on a phone call tho.

Motorola and Verizon, dropping the ball bigtime on the smartphone of the year. Doubt I'll ever have anything to do with Motorola again after this fiasco, esp since so many other devices (Milestones) in other countries are being released with 2.1 and we're left out in the cold.

The moment another Android device comes out with a physical keyboard, better CPU, etc that isn't a Moto phone I'm jumping ship ASAP.

How would this be considered a fiasco if you don't mind my asking? I have had this phone since day 1 and love it. I am sure that most of the over 1 million people who bought the phone would agree. Just because an update gets pushed back you want to get away from a phone and phone manufacturing company forever?

moment is rocking 1.5 so not sure you want to step back. My wife loves it though and has no clue what 1.5 and 2.1 are.

I love mine,and if I have to wait a few more days for the update(mines rooted anyway)I dont mind at all.I dont consider this dropping the ball anyway.

How would this be considered a fiasco if you don't mind my asking? I have had this phone since day 1 and love it. I am sure that most of the over 1 million people who bought the phone would agree. Just because an update gets pushed back you want to get away from a phone and phone manufacturing company forever?
The fiasco is in the transparency of information regarding the delay. There has been very little in the way of official information as to why the two delays now. As products and corporations go, I speak with my wallet - in turn, you do as you like.

The fiasco is in the transparency of information regarding the delay. There has been very little in the way of official information as to why the two delays now. As products and corporations go, I speak with my wallet - in turn, you do as you like.

Exactly. They keep promising but then poof nothing about why it was delayed. Conflicting reports from VZN reps about if the test bed of a 1,000 users had been sent out or not and so on.

Just one more reason why I just don't care about 2.1. I already have it all. :p especially after flashing to DroidMod 1.0 this morning from Sholes 2.0.3.

did this ever get pushed im still not seeing any updates on the phone

did this ever get pushed im still not seeing any updates on the phone

Rumor now from VZN "insiders" is tomorrow it'll start the test phase of the OTA update and then this weekend and/or next week would be full deployment.

This can't be any better than the ESE53 based 2.1 ROM I'm running right now, which is completely stable, complete with live wallpapers and OC'd to 1.1 GHz. So for me this is too little and way too late, unfortunately. But it will good to see more ROMs based off of this official release (even though the ESE53 ROMs are pretty official).

This can't be any better than the ESE53 based 2.1 ROM I'm running right now, which is completely stable, complete with live wallpapers and OC'd to 1.1 GHz. So for me this is too little and way too late, unfortunately. But it will good to see more ROMs based off of this official release (even though the ESE53 ROMs are pretty official).

"Pretty official" is the key word though. We do know that that there is a discrepancy with numbering of the ESE53 that was leaked and the one supposedly being deployed. Nobody knows if it means anything yet. We'll only find out once we finally get the official update.

Back