And this is acceptable and normal?

Bbq

King of Charts
I'm still having problems with my 4850 blue screening frequently thanks to atikmdag.sys.

Currently have:
Visiontek 4850
Asus P5Q Deluxe
4x hdd
Silverstone ST50EF+
4x1gb PC6400
E4300
Vista ultimate x64

And it crashes randomly, usually with the "atikmdag.sys has crashed and successfully recovered" several times, then it blue screens with the problem being atikmdag.sys. Usually when I'm not doing anything gpu intensive; this almost never happens while playing games, usually only when surfing the internet. Add to that, several people I've talked to say that it's typical of ati drivers to be terrible (which I agree with) and that they crash frequently.

Which is completely unacceptable. My old 7900gtx had absolutely no problems with stability. Sure, the drivers would crash, but they'd always recover successfully and I could just carry on with doing what I do.

Things I've tried:

Catalyst 8.6
Catalyst hotfix
Catalyst 8.7
Catalyst 8.8 beta
Catalyst 8.8
Default windows driver
Un-overclocking
Running with 2 sticks of ram
Different pci-e slots
Driver cleaner, ccleaner, driversweeper every time I install a different driver
putting more fans by it
trying a different power supply (OCZ StealthXStream 500w)
Multiple re-installs of vista

And none of them make it any better.

Things that I'm not going to do:
downgrade to xp

Things that I'm considering doing at this point:
buying an 8800gt 512, 9600gt, or 9800gtx+ and just taking a large loss on the 4850.

only time ive seen that error is stressing the video cards on huge overclocks (my 4870 cards in cross fire did this over 870 mhz core)

That error is usally triggered by a UNSTABLE CPU....

Dose it do this with the E4300 stock or Overclocked...

I know the ATi drivers are sensitive to CPU's that arnt 100%OC stable ..They can even be unstable at stock cloc s... Freshly installed Ati's with Fresh os....I SOLD my spare 4850 for a 9800GTX+ becuse of this very problem i had with 9600BE and M2N32deluxe...The problem is my 9600BE... It dosnt clock stable with ATI drivers and will even Error the ATIdmag STOCK no matter what with Vista64bit.. I put in my 9950BE with the 4850 on same Mobo even used the Same ATI driver it was 100% percent stable @3.0ghz .The 9600BE would error the Driver with this particular mobo //Videocard!...

I checked this three times in arrow,, swapping 9950BE and 9600BE using the Same 8.7driver each time...Each time the 9600BE errored the driver....In order for me to use the Above MOBO and 9600BE i installed a 9800GTX+...Flawless even with Beta Physics driver...ATM..The CAT8.7 and even CAT8.8 Ati driver is having issues with 4850's which are not Offical BBA //ATI referance cards like the 4870's.

A google will bring up all sorts of crap related to 4850 and Drivers under Vista64 and 32bit..Xp even has some problems with it.....

Note: Just thought ..How hot is the thing..You can unpin the Blue wire to force 100% fan on the 4850..by POWERPLAY setting Overheat shutdown will also trigger the same error..

Look in your Eventviewer...

yep i bet a vast majority of people who have these issues would be suprised trying to run a few hours of Prime95 or the OCCT test and wouldn't pass

my previous "what i thought was stable" e 8400 and q9450 overclocks caused me all kinds of problems until i ran the OCCT test, once you pass the 1 hour default test youd be surprised how much more "stable" things are than what you though previous

yep i bet a vast majority of people who have these issues would be suprised trying to run a few hours of Prime95 or the OCCT test and wouldn't pass

my previous "what i thought was stable" e 8400 and q9450 overclocks caused me all kinds of problems until i ran the OCCT test, once you pass the 1 hour default test youd be surprised how much more "stable" things are than what you though previous

lol i've been running my e6600 at 3.2 GHz for about 8 months and back when i first oc'd it was stable. right now, its stable as ever, im having no errors or anything, only questionable thing, is that my core 1 fails orthos and prime 95 in like 30 seconds while core 2 never does. 8 months ago both cores would never fail, but this is confusing me since whenever an app puts 100% load on both cpu's such as sandbox2, 3dmark, etc, the comp never crashes, and never has. So lol, is there an explanation?

well my 9650 will pass prime 95 and vantage and 3dmark06 fine, fails OCCT instantly @ 4.2

at 4104 is passed all the above and OCCT

difference being my drivers installed fine and don't occasionally reset on 4104 as they did in crysis ( yeah yeah stupid crysis) @ 4.2

if its failing orthos or prime95 or OCCT then its not really stable, i was the same on my previous CPUS, it never crashes, until i tried the OCCT test and it failed and failed until i got the voltage up where it would pass the 1 hour... and my issues went away

if the system or a part of the system is stable then it can cause all kinds of problems on other things, hardware and drivers, installations etc

if its failing orthos or prime95 or OCCT then its not really stable, i was the same on my previous CPUS, it never crashes, until i tried the OCCT test and it failed and failed until i got the voltage up where it would pass the 1 hour... and my issues went away

ah, well in prime 95 or orthos only core 1 fails, and ill try ooct in a bit

if the system or a part of the system is stable then it can cause all kinds of problems on other things, hardware and drivers, installations etc

do u mean if part of the system is unstable?

only time ive seen that error is stressing the video cards on huge overclocks (my 4870 cards in cross fire did this over 870 mhz core)

No video card overclocking.

That error is usally triggered by a UNSTABLE CPU....

Dose it do this with the E4300 stock or Overclocked...

Note: Just thought ..How hot is the thing..You can unpin the Blue wire to force 100% fan on the 4850..by POWERPLAY setting Overheat shutdown will also trigger the same error..

Look in your Eventviewer...

Cpu is 100% stable; there's absolutely no problems with it, it's been running happily at 3ghz for more than a year. It can go faster but I choose not to push it, so I can have a quieter rig with less heat.

With hardwaremonitor, it shows the core at 68c (153F), cpu at 35C (94F), and System at 38C (100F). Full load

I'll try OCCT or prime. Thanks.

Umm someone care to explain why these clocks are messed up? Also both screen shots were takin with in 30 seconds of eachother

capturemu8.jpg

capture2mk7.jpg

The clocks are switching? My clock in my 680i's bios is 355 x 9 not 355 x 6. The voltage set in the bios is also 1.356 not 1.48. This has never happened to me before, what's wrong?

Bios version for your Mobo support that 4850...If your on an (old bios )it's possiable the card could be conflicting with the Bios and would cause all kinds of problems...Even affecting CPU multi settings and Ram settings to name a few..

Some Boards wont even work with the 4850 unless you update the Bios from Mobo.

Kinda Funny ,,looks like your CORE2 has Cool and Qiuet(CnQ) J/K...DONT you need any Clock stepping Disabled when you Overclock Intels......If thats what you have...

This indeed is not good..

P.S.

I mean the Videocard Temps also idle ? my last 4850 Idled @ 82c and the Fan would not kick in(raise up over 30%)with 8.7s...So i ran the Fan 100% by disonecting blue wire for 38c idle..Before it would get too hot even while surfing The net 2D mode ..it would soon error..After opening System Manager only to find Powerplay Oveheatprotection Error..

You can try (VPU recover disabled) by unchecking the VPU recover Box and see if you get the error still,, who knows could be that simple..

x6 is speed step, with no load it downlock to save power/heat, its normal

one you get a load on the cpu it will just go back up to 9x and your normal speed

youll also notice your voltages drop once the heavy load kicks in a couple minutes into OCCT

Wont Speedstep trigger problems when Overclocking Intels...

I know having your stepping going up and down isnt so great when overclocking and setting higher Vcore....maybe the Videocard is detecting your CPU as A BAD CPU ,,but its not really bad ,,then maybe Driver sees CPU changing clocks erratically or something like that...and possiably triggers error...

I mean the Videocard Temps also idle ? my last 4850 Idled @ 82c and the Fan would not kick in(raise up over 30%)with 8.7s...So i ran the Fan 100% by disonecting blue wire for 38c idle..Before it would get too hot even while surfing The net 2D mode ..it would soon error..After opening System Manager only to find Powerplay Oveheatprotection Error..

You can try (VPU recover disabled) by unchecking the VPU recover Box and see if you get the error still,, who knows could be that simple..

4850 idles at 61.

I'll try vpu recover disable; We'll see if it crashes as much.

mine throttles back on idle and it hasnt caused me any issues yet, doesnt do it nearly as often when overclocked though

Which is completely unacceptable. My old 7900gtx had absolutely no problems with stability. Sure, the drivers would crash, but they'd always recover successfully and I could just carry on with doing what I do.

Since the 7900GTX driver also crashed, I'm leaning towards an unstable system. Don't be so quick to blame the ATI driver. I was getting BSDOs and such with my new 4850 in GRID frequently, until I found out it was the no-cd exe I was using (I just don't like disc hunting when I want to play). Went back to the orig exe and the problems went away.

Just for the hell of it, drop everything back to stock speeds and stock voltages and see if the problems continue.

SpeedStep was always disabled. When i flashed my bios it lowered my vcore but kept the clocks. i raised the clocks to 1.36875 and its completely stable. Ran OCCT for like 45 minutes before i shut down my comp and got no error. I think the highest i can clock stable is 3.4 ghz but thats at 1.46750 which increase temps on max load by like 10 c, so im sticking with 3.2 ghz.

SpeedStep was always disabled. When i flashed my bios it lowered my vcore but kept the clocks. i raised the clocks to 1.36875 and its completely stable. Ran OCCT for like 45 minutes before i shut down my comp and got no error. I think the highest i can clock stable is 3.4 ghz but thats at 1.46750 which increase temps on max load by like 10 c, so im sticking with 3.2 ghz.

45mins is no where near enough time. Try for at least 6-12hrs. At least that will narrow down where your problems might be.

I've gotten that message when hitting past my overclock ceiling on my 4850 and trying to game. My processor is rock stable. Did 10 tests with no failures using Linpack64. Orthos and Prime are also stable.

The message is not solely from an unstable CPU. I can literally turn my overclock up 5-10mhz further for my GPU core and trigger than message every time in Company of Heroes.

Back