And all the GROMACS say I'm pretty D for a 2P

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
I know SR-2's aren't the monsters they once were but I thought I'd share a few pictures of my recent project to convert an SR-2 into a daily driver. Meet the Red Baron, I think you'll find his color scheme appropriate. ;)

Key specs:
Xigmatek Elysium
2x X5650's @4.1ghz with Apogee XT 2's
EVGA SR-2
2x GTX 480's w/ Koolance FC waterblocks
24gb GSkill DDR3 1600
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
MCP-655
Hardwarelabs Black Ice GT 240
Hardwarelabs Black Ice GT 120
Swiftech MCR-240
XSPC RX120
Panaflo 2150's all the way around.

KOv1W.jpg

Test fitting the board right after taking the case out of the box

G3HHN.jpg

Wires sleeved, board mounted, test fitting rads

FpcN3.jpg

Dead fans live on as fan shrouds

0wq9P.jpg

Oddly the Elysium doesn't provide mounting options for front radiators. Some ziptie engineering resolves this...

YUnQ3.jpg

Loop plumbing for testing without the gpu's

YpZ39.jpg

8edh1.jpg

BgMl7.jpg

YLF97.jpg

The final plumbing and wire routing

t0lJX.jpg

ACevG.jpg

The only cutting on the build allows me to fill the loop and control the SR-2 from up top

iIM3N.jpg

tIA8T.jpg

For those who haven't seem an Elysium, this is the case next to my Vintage V build in a Lian Li V1000B. It is a beast.

As always, criticisms and comments welcome!

Last edited:
That is a huge ass case lol. I bet it would make my Thor look small lol

We need to get this and a few other rigs on the front page. Show the rest of the forum that we know how to make spiffy boxes down here too.

Darn .. make me want to grab that case ... ;);)
but it costs like $200 ...:rolleyes: . Is it worth to buy for a dedicated folding rig? :confused:
The rig is used for nothing but folding? Nah .... :eek::eek:

Nice though. Wonder if I can put SR-2 into rocketfish case :D

Thanks guys.

sbinh, the build quality of the Xigmatek is definitely a step down from the Lian-Li and Silverstone enclosures I typically use. However, there is nothing else in the HPTX range that is so versatile for radiator mounting and wire routing.

Looks like a great build. The top mount controls look really clean and handy as well.

Edit: I just caught the thread title reference and chuckled

Last edited:
Looks like a great build. The top mount controls look really clean and handy as well.

Edit: I just caught the thread title reference and chuckled

Gunter glieben glauchen globen ;)

Glad to have company on my warped mental wavelength...

Gunter glieben glauchen globen ;)

Glad to have company on my warped mental wavelength...

You also managed to get 'uno dos tres, cuatro cinco cinco seis' stuck in my head all day. It was worth the lolz however so I'll call it a win

someone call the ambulence, medusa got her head stuck in R-Type's case :eek:

seriously though, sexy build. I had my SR-2 in the big Lian-Li (v2120) which was a nice case, but I don't think its nearly as versatile as this for all that radiator mounting.

Nice looking system R-Type. Are the 480's keeping you happy compared to the 6950's?

Nice looking system R-Type. Are the 480's keeping you happy compared to the 6950's?

Very much so, I like gaming so much better without microstuttering, shadow artifacts, glistening textures, and BSOD's. I like AMD's cards, I loathe their drivers.

Last edited:
Back