Analyzing traffic within LAN?

NEODARK

Gawd
Are there any such apps that will notify you in real-time of what's being accessed from a file server in the LAN and when, maybe even create an usage log?

Sort of like what's possible with the management console (shared folders>open files) but without having the console open and having to refresh.

It would be cool if maybe a notification poped up and informed me of something like:

User: laptop
file: music.mp3
transfer: 1MB/s

Anyway, thanks :)

for regular windows shares?

Not that I know of, although it's entirely possible as just about every FTP server would give you exactly that.

yea, well w/ ftp we use the program to monitor it, but what sorta app would give a more detailed readout as far as windows shares are concerned, for example if hes not running a ftp server, but is hosting many files over the lan w/roommater etc....

cuz im also interested in what hes asking....just for kicks to throw it on my server as well

the "computer management" built into windows xp will show you what shares are currently being accessed and by who, but as far as i know theres no option for a popup window, and no log. its under administrative tools. start / all programs / administrative tools / comuter management. you may need to enable admin tools in the start bars properties.

The Server versions of Windows allow for something called File Auditing. Basically it tells you what user name is issuing what commands (file access). The down side is that it dumps a crap load of useless information with it. To top it all off, it dumps it in a, for the most part, un-readable format into the Windows Event Viewer. Thanks Microsoft. But in all honesty, it tells you exactly what user is doing what on a per command basis (Read/Write/Create/Delete). It is VERY verbose to say the least.

In the past to "monitor" Samaba File transfers, I have run a program like WildPacket's Ether Peek to capture all NIC traffic pertinent to SMB File Transfer Commands. Ether Peek then does an analysis and tells me (in a much neater format) what the user is doing. This program is by no means free, and designed to do a heck of a lot more than just watch file transfer commands, I would not recommend this, but it is food for thought for anyone who may be able to acheive a simpler solution.

Thanks guys,

It's Microsoft, I should've known.. I guess Im stuck with the MMC.

Oh right, It's not an FTP its SMB's on WinXP Pro box

I used to use a program called Who Is Connected, that allowed you to see when people connected to shares and and to see what files they were getting and to cut them off if you wish. I used to use it the dorms I would give out a password to my shares and they would give me the name of thier computer, if anyone but my firends logged on I would kick them off.

I still have the program on my computer, I know I did'nt pay for it but that doesnt mean much, If you google for it many results come up offering download, none charging, hope that helps you out.

sperryfreak01 said:
Who Is Connected

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/whoisconnected.html
"Who Is Connected? allows you to monitor and manage your local area network connections. It shows you which users are currently connected, and allows you to view details about what files/folders are used, connection time and more. In addition, you can choose to terminate any connection, choose to be notified on new connections, send a message to the user and also view a list of open IP ports, as well as the program associated with them. The program runs in the system tray and provides a convenient interface. "

Back