Analyze My System.

Ironhand

Weaksauce
Over the last year or so I have put together my home, work, and gaming rig.

A friend of mine has spurred on some of the upgrades from our conversations as I got into computers in the late 90s then got out of it for military service and only recently got back into it, so I am behind the curve to say the least.

Basically I am looking for any bottle necks in the system and what if anything I can do to increase the system performance.

Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 AM3+ Mobo
AGI 550W Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X6 1045 2.70
Corsair XMS3 12GB RAM Total(2 x 4GB) & (2 x 2GB) 240 pin. DDR3 1333 (Only has 4 RAM slots and only supporst 16GBs total)
XFX R7770 Ultra Overclock(+95MHZ) 1GB DDR5 (I replaced a GTX 550Ti)
500 GB HD

I am using Eyefinity with 2 24inch monitors and 1 23 inch monitor(Due to be replaced) I run it in 5760 x 1080. I mainly use it for work to cross reference parts quickly. Playing games on it is an added bonus.

You could always up the graphics, but when you're running with more then one monitor, you should go with Radeon 6970 and up ish. Its better for performance when running multi monitors

You could always up the graphics, but when you're running with more then one monitor, you should go with Radeon 6970 and up ish. Its better for performance when running multi monitors

A 6970 does look nice but they seem to be discontinued from some of my preferred manufactures. I would probably spend the extra money and step up to a little better card for that kind of money(380ish range).

If you can adding an SSD will be beneficial for the OS and any program you want launched rapidly.

A 6970 does look nice but they seem to be discontinued from some of my preferred manufactures. I would probably spend the extra money and step up to a little better card for that kind of money(380ish range).

6970's are good cards but are getting hard to find at a good price. (~$220 new)

I would suggest a 7850 for ~$200 or a 7950 for ~$300. Currently these are both the best "bang for your buck" cards available with the nVidia 660ti also a being a notable mention.

This is of course if you actually want or need to upgrade. You current system is no slouch, but of course there is always something bigger/faster/better.

This. If you dont have an SSD, get one. I cringe when I have to use a PC without an SSD.

If you can adding an SSD will be beneficial for the OS and any program you want launched rapidly.

Recommendations on manufactures?

6970's are good cards but are getting hard to find at a good price. (~$220 new)

I would suggest a 7850 for ~$200 or a 7950 for ~$300. Currently these are both the best "bang for your buck" cards available with the nVidia 660ti also a being a notable mention.

This is of course if you actually want or need to upgrade. You current system is no slouch, but of course there is always something bigger/faster/better.

This. If you dont have an SSD, get one. I cringe when I have to use a PC without an SSD.

I just got the 7770 so it isnt due for replacement any time soon unless the need arises but it isnt out of the question. Im thinking of switching my mobo out for one that has more then 1 PCI slot and running two 7770s but It seems that 1 card with twice the capability seems to run better.

Recommendations on manufactures?

I just got the 7770 so it isnt due for replacement any time soon unless the need arises but it isnt out of the question. Im thinking of switching my mobo out for one that has more then 1 PCI slot and running two 7770s but It seems that 1 card with twice the capability seems to run better.

You seem like you already did alot of research.

I agree with the fact that you already have a 7770 which is a good card and if you have no real reason to upgrade it then you shouldn't. Although you did say you game at 5760 x 1080, new releases like BF3/Planetside 2/GW2 at high settings will bring that 7770 down.

Also, I would not buy a new motherboard + video card just to run Crossfire, its more cost effective to just buy a new card altogether. If you already had an Crossfire capable motherboard then buying another 7770 might be a good choice but having to buy a new motherboard AND video card is not.

You seem like you already did alot of research.

I agree with the fact that you already have a 7770 which is a good card and if you have no real reason to upgrade it then you shouldn't. Although you did say you game at 5760 x 1080, new releases like BF3/Planetside 2/GW2 at high settings will bring that 7770 down.

Also, I would not buy a new motherboard + video card just to run Crossfire, its more cost effective to just buy a new card altogether. If you already had an Crossfire capable motherboard then buying another 7770 might be a good choice but having to buy a new motherboard AND video card is not.

Yeah Ive done alittle reading. Since I build engines for a living mistakes are things I try to avoid.

My current MOBO is a PCI 2.0 x16. I have a 3.0 7770 in it. Im not so sure how much further I can take it before it may hurt the system. In the future I may try to off load my 7770 and my mobo(or use it in a different computer) then upgrade both at once.

I just dont want anything I have now to be slowed down and operating at peak performance. If changing 1 or 2 things to bring it up to another level would help then I would do that.

So far I can run the highest graphically demanding game I have in all high settings at 5760 without any issues.

Yeah Ive done alittle reading. Since I build engines for a living mistakes are things I try to avoid.

My current MOBO is a PCI 2.0 x16. I have a 3.0 7770 in it. Im not so sure how much further I can take it before it may hurt the system. In the future I may try to off load my 7770 and my mobo(or use it in a different computer) then upgrade both at once.

I just dont want anything I have now to be slowed down and operating at peak performance. If changing 1 or 2 things to bring it up to another level would help then I would do that.

So far I can run the highest graphically demanding game I have in all high settings at 5760 without any issues.

You are fine currently with the 7770 and PCIe 2.0.

EDIT: What kind of engines do you build? Ive built my fare share.

What is your idea of graphically demanding games? lol

If you're going to switch mobo's you may as well go the way of intel, and grab a new processor while you're at it.

I would just sell the 7770 and go with a 7950 or 660ti to be honest.

You are fine currently with the 7770 and PCIe 2.0.

EDIT: What kind of engines do you build? Ive built my fare share.

Modular Fords.

What is your idea of graphically demanding games? lol

If you're going to switch mobo's you may as well go the way of intel, and grab a new processor while you're at it.

I would just sell the 7770 and go with a 7950 or 660ti to be honest.

Cliffs of Dover(Flight Sim)

I dont do intel. Not sure why but the AMDs always seems to work better for me so I choose to stick with what I know.

I think your right on the graphics card. If it gets to a point where I need to replace it then the 7950 or whatever they have out at that time will be on the list.

Modular Fords.

Cliffs of Dover(Flight Sim)

I dont do intel. Not sure why but the AMDs always seems to work better for me so I choose to stick with what I know.

I think your right on the graphics card. If it gets to a point where I need to replace it then the 7950 or whatever they have out at that time will be on the list.

I've ran nothing but AMD myself and its sad to think if I want to upgrade the only way to go is Intel.

You've still got a couple years in that system though, hopefully by the time you need something more than a 7950 AMD will have its stuff together.

I've ran nothing but AMD myself and its sad to think if I want to upgrade the only way to go is Intel.

You've still got a couple years in that system though, hopefully by the time you need something more than a 7950 AMD will have its stuff together.

Hopefully I can ride the storm out until it is needed.

Since are CPUs are very similar. Can you tell me how to overclock this thing?

I tried going into the BIOS. Wireless keyboard and a crappy USB one didnt seem to do anything.

I tried going into the BIOS. Wireless keyboard and a crappy USB one didnt seem to do anything.

Your motherboard has no heatsinks on the VRM's and the Bios may not even allow overclocking (or have good settings for overclocking)

Due to having no VRM's on the heatsinks I wouldn't recommend overclocking much, basically don't touch the voltage and see how far you can go on stock volts.

You will more than likely need a wired keyboard to be able to access the bios, download AMD overdrive and see if it works with that motherboard.

You might need a USB to PS/2 adapter, I know on the 880 Biostar boards only the analog inputs would work. I don't know if they ever fixed that or not, you should be able to find one of those adapters at an electronics store.

Your motherboard has no heatsinks on the VRM's and the Bios may not even allow overclocking (or have good settings for overclocking)

Due to having no VRM's on the heatsinks I wouldn't recommend overclocking much, basically don't touch the voltage and see how far you can go on stock volts.

You will more than likely need a wired keyboard to be able to access the bios, download AMD overdrive and see if it works with that motherboard.

You don't need a wired keyboard, you can use an adapter, I've done it with Biostar boards before.

I already have AMD OverDrive as its part of AMD VISION Engine Control Center.

I have the High Performance GPU Clock settings @ 1200 Mhz
High Performance memory clock settings @ 1150Mhz

Its running @ 42C with 20% fan speed.

It appears to only do the GPU and the CPU is limited to stock speeds.

You might need a USB to PS/2 adapter, I know on the 880 Biostar boards only the analog inputs would work. I don't know if they ever fixed that or not, you should be able to find one of those adapters at an electronics store.

You don't need a wired keyboard, you can use an adapter, I've done it with Biostar boards before.

Noted.

And to think I was just at the electronics store.

Noted.

And to think I was just at the electronics store.

You should be able to play around with the turbo core, but raising the voltage to keep all 6 stable and no vrm cooling is probably bad lol... Just make sure to turn off CnQ if you decide to mess around and monitor the CPU and make sure its under 60c.

You should be able to play around with the turbo core, but raising the voltage to keep all 6 stable and no vrm cooling is probably bad lol... Just make sure to turn off CnQ if you decide to mess around and monitor the CPU and make sure its under 60c.

I thought I had to keep it under 55 C?

62c is the maximum safe temperature, for the X6, but I would just run it below 60c.

Noted.

Now that Ive had more time to look around and compare notes. It seems I will change up my system alittle bit. Not sure to what point yet but time will tell.

How big of a power supply do I need to use water cooling? Can a bigger power supply be used without it and not cause issues?

Noted.

Now that Ive had more time to look around and compare notes. It seems I will change up my system alittle bit. Not sure to what point yet but time will tell.

How big of a power supply do I need to use water cooling? Can a bigger power supply be used without it and not cause issues?

Water cooling does not add any additional wattage requirements besides the fans and the pump, which is negligible.

Bigger power supply can be used with no ill effects.

Water cooling does not add any additional wattage requirements besides the fans and the pump, which is negligible.

Bigger power supply can be used with no ill effects.

Sounds good.

Im thinking of making my own water cooling system. Since I have skill in design work and can make parts out of billet. It wouldn't be that hard. I look at whats currently made and not alot of people have knowledge of fluid dynamics and heat transfer properties.

I was under this assumption as well

Glad Im not the only one.

Sounds good.

Im thinking of making my own water cooling system. Since I have skill in design work and can make parts out of billet. It wouldn't be that hard. I look at whats currently made and not alot of people have knowledge of fluid dynamics and heat transfer properties.

Glad Im not the only one.

Since you can machine parts, why don't you make a custom VRM cooler for your motherboard while you're at it? Toss some thermal tape on the bottom and you're set.

Since you can machine parts, why don't you make a custom VRM cooler for your motherboard while you're at it? Toss some thermal tape on the bottom and you're set.

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not?

I could probably do something like that if I knew what you were talking about. I was mainly talking about machincing CPU and GPU blocks.

But the plan at this point is to switch MOBOs and CPUs. In a couple months of course.

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not?

I could probably do something like that if I knew what you were talking about. I was mainly talking about machincing CPU and GPU blocks.

But the plan at this point is to switch MOBOs and CPUs. In a couple months of course.

The Voltage regulator modules on your board don't have a cooler.

If you look to the left of the CPU socket below the 8pin power connector on my board, you'll see what I was talking about. Your board only has heatsinks on the north and southbridge.

But if you're going to dump the board, nvm.

The Voltage regulator modules on your board don't have a cooler.

If you look to the left of the CPU socket below the 8pin power connector on my board, you'll see what I was talking about. Your board only has heatsinks on the north and southbridge.

But if you're going to dump the board, nvm.

How do I guarantee that a MOBO will have that feature?

How do I guarantee that a MOBO will have that feature?

It varies by manufacturer, brand and chipset, I know you like AMD, "FX" chipset boards will have them, as an example, ASRock "Extreme" boards have them, Asus "Formula" boards have them. Just look for a heastsink near the 4/8 pin connector and you'll be fine, or read in the description.

It varies by manufacturer, brand and chipset, I know you like AMD, "FX" chipset boards will have them, as an example, ASRock "Extreme" boards have them, Asus "Formula" boards have them. Just look for a heastsink near the 4/8 pin connector and you'll be fine, or read in the description.

Good to know.

I wish I would've known half the crap I know now about a year ago. lol

Good to know.

I wish I would've known half the crap I know now about a year ago. lol

Haha yeah I hear you, the sad thing is, whenever something new comes along, you have to relearn everything again; if I switch to Intel, that's a whole other process.

Haha yeah I hear you, the sad thing is, whenever something new comes along, you have to relearn everything again; if I switch to Intel, that's a whole other process.

Ive been looking at FX processors and now I have crazy ideas. lol

I always prefer Intel over AMD
An SSD for OS can boost performance and you will feel a clear difference in launch time of applications.
GTX660 can be a good replacement of your existing gpu to achieve optimum result in gaming.

I always prefer Intel over AMD
An SSD for OS can boost performance and you will feel a clear difference in launch time of applications.
GTX660 can be a good replacement of your existing gpu to achieve optimum result in gaming.

I will be doing some sort of revision to my setup in the new future. I will take alot, if not all, of the replacement parts and put it in a new computer for the wife so she can have a hackintosh.

Back