Analog vs. Digital LCDs

aRcT

Limp Gawd
Is there a noticable difference between using a DVI connection instead of the regular analog? If there is, how is it different and would it be worth the money to get one that does dvi (like the samsung 710T, which is the one I'm looking at)?

-Brent

bumpety bump...

I really would appreciate some input...

-Brent

Its like the diffrence between day and night...

I have a 2001FP at home hooked up by DVI and another one at work hooked up by the VGA connector because its hooked up to a laptop which doesn't have a DVI connector.
The diffrence in sharpness and clarity is quite precevable. It makes me want to work from home a lot more :)

There is very little noticable difference in sharpness/clarity. The main contrast is with colour, DVI has what I call "exact colours" whereas VGA is not and will require tuning.

I have two Hitachi CML174's connected right next (in dual) to each other (one DVI, one VGA) and I've tuned the VGA one's colour settings in the Nvidia drivers to match my DVI one as closely as possible.

As long as your "clock" and "timing" rates on the monitor OSD are set up fine, then text and fine detail are displayed perfectly as with the DVI display.

NathanE said:
There is very little noticable difference in sharpness/clarity. The main contrast is with colour, DVI has what I call "exact colours" whereas VGA is not and will require tuning.

I have two Hitachi CML174's connected right next (in dual) to each other (one DVI, one VGA) and I've tuned the VGA one's colour settings in the Nvidia drivers to match my DVI one as closely as possible.

As long as your "clock" and "timing" rates on the monitor OSD are set up fine, then text and fine detail are displayed perfectly as with the DVI display.

I agree that difference in quality of display between Digital and Analog is not HUGE but it is certainly noticable. Digital signal gives more sharp display. I would not buy an analog LCD because it is an outdated standard. The newest Nvidia video card does not have analog output only 2 digital ones. This should tell you something.

I believe that using DVI is critical to eliminating the ghosting so many people complain about on LCDs, even though I am fully aware it is also directly tied to the response time.

Back