• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Analog or DVI inputs for new LCD

mikeb33

n00b
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
17
I just came home with a Samsung 192n 19" LCD. To my suprise, there is no DVI input, just analog. I thought they all had DVI nowdays.
I was disapointed, but hooked it up anyway. It looks great! Very bright and clear.
So the question is: if it looks good, does it matter? My initial thought was to take it back, but it looks so good, I am not convinced. Is there a real reason to get a DVI model?

MIKE
 
If you are a gamer you are never going to notice. Image editing, lots of text reading, etc. you may notice but the difference is not massive. If you can bring it back why not just do that and get one that has both. That is unless it costs much more, which it probably will.
 
I have 2 samsung 191Ts hooked up to my 9800np -> 9800xt.

The DVI one produces crisper text (noticeable).

Not huge, but when spending 650bucks on an LCD, I want it to read nice.
 
Originally posted by mikeb33
It looks great! Very bright and clear.
So the question is: if it looks good, does it matter?
In a word: no.

If you're perfectly happy with the IQ you're getting, you're done. You can always spend more money for "just a little bit better" but only if you really want to.

However, don't hang onto it if this issue is something that is going to constantly bug you and take away from your ownership experience. If that's the case, upgrade, but if you like it, keep it.
 
I like having both. I use the dvi for my main rig and the vga for when i work on other machines. I just touch a button on the monitor and switch rigs on the fly.
 
Originally posted by mikeb33
I just came home with a Samsung 192n 19" LCD. To my suprise, there is no DVI input, just analog. I thought they all had DVI nowdays.
I was disapointed, but hooked it up anyway. It looks great! Very bright and clear.
So the question is: if it looks good, does it matter? My initial thought was to take it back, but it looks so good, I am not convinced. Is there a real reason to get a DVI model?

MIKE

If the dvi model isn't much more, then I recommend getting that one. The text is much better/sharper with dvi.
 
I agree -- there is a difference between VGA and DVI, especially on the cheaper video cards. That includes all those integrated Intel Extreme chipsets which unfortunately don't ever have DVI (to my knowledge). So with DVI you'll always get the same image no matter what video card you use. With VGA you're at the mercy of the DAC chip on the video card (and of the ADC on the monitor). My sister has a Celeron with a i845GL and on a 19" CRT it has ghosting that would drive me crazy. My 9700Pro + 19" LCD/DVI is super duper crisp :)
 
I did return it and got an Envision 19" LCD with both DVI and analog inputs. It looks great and I am glad I did. Cheaper too. It would have bothered me for years to come.

Thanks,

MIKE
 
I prefer DVI because it centers the picture on the screen and everything itself because its sending the straight digital image to the monitor. There's not really any need to adjust. If you're happy with analog, you should probably just keep it. DVI really does make more sense for LCD monitors though.
 
Originally posted by mikeb33
I did return it and got an Envision 19" LCD with both DVI and analog inputs. It looks great and I am glad I did. Cheaper too. It would have bothered me for years to come.
You did that exactly right. Too many people try to convince themselves that something that bothers them is actually awesome even though it's nagging at them the whole time.

Life's too short for that silliness.
 
if the LCD is something that you're gonna have to live with for at least a couple years, then yes, I'd take it back for a unit that does have DVI.

the display output is just so much cleaner and crisper IMO.
 
mikeb33

I've been a fan of that Envison 9110 since I got my first one. Can't say enough good about it. Best part? I'ts affordable and it is so easy on the eyes.

Last I looked CC had an $80 rebate on it as well.:D

I had 6 LCD's home to compare, the 9110 won hands down, despite the price..

Enjoy

BillR
 
Thanks for all the input everybody. I am liking the Envision, but have one problem. Although it seems brighter than my old LCD and is very crisp, it seems dark sometimes too. Like if I am playing BF1942, the outdoor scenes are very bright and gorgeous, but if I go into a building, it is very dark. I mean so dark I can't make out who is on my team or the other(then I revert to "kill em all, let God sort em out"). I tried to increase the brightness with the monitor controls, but everything else looks washed out then. My Sony LCD wasn't like this, though it wasn't as bright either.
Any ideas?

MIKE
 
Samsung and a few others have down load to help you set up for max contrast, quick down dirty and easy. Make the grey boxes match, works great. Give it a shot

Enjoy

BillR

Also check the vid card settings, you should have some control in software as well
 
BillR: i have that same model on my second rig, and its great, so cheap, and the image is just great.
 
One thing that might help:

LCDs tend to give you broader control over brightness and contrast using the analog input instead of the DVI unput
 
Back
Top