An unusual sound under heavy load

TastEPlasma

Limp Gawd
This is something I have just lived with for years, but if any group of blokes on the internets might know the cause, it's this one.

My current CPU is a C2D 6320 (1.86) @ 3.3Ghz (WC), stable for years.

However, ever since I built the system, and even to this day, when I run Prime95 torture test, the processor/mobo makes the strangest sound. Its like a mix between an edge-of-hearing high pitch squeal and the digital static one would hear from listening in on the old 56k modems.

It's loud enough to hear clearly over the fans with the side panel on. It is definitely coming from either the processor or the area around the processor socket on the mobo.

Any ideas?

Probably either transformer or capacitor squeal. It is a "feature" of the board or PSU or GPU.

I am using an old EVGA nForce board 680i.

The capacitor squeal makes sense to me, as these boards are known for having crappy power regulation (nearly impossible to OC a quad-core on one). Also given the area its coming from, I don't think it could be transformers, unless they make 'em way smaller than I think.

Have you checked the PSU?.. That happens under stress on my oldie HTPC that had a cheap cooler master extreme power plus PSU... Just close your ear enough on the back of the case near the PSU.

Definitely not the PSU. This is the second one I have had in here (had an old OCZ 700W that died, replaced with a Corsair 750W), and the sound remains consistent. I can also get my ear close enough to hear that it is coming from the processor area, and not the PSU.

Google search for motherboard coils. They will probably be grey or black cubes that are about 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch

Oh yea, I have seen those before, there is a row of 4 labeled "R50" right beside the socket.

Oh yea, I have seen those before, there is a row of 4 labeled "R50" right beside the socket.

Well those R50 cubes are inductors... You have one of those unlucky singing inductors not so odd... Some even new mobos comes with this little issue.. Others after a certain time start to "sing" when are overload and suffering to supply the energy needed to CPU... Thats why only happens under heavy load..

That makes sense. Given that this board is known to have flaky power regulation that makes OC'ing a quad core near impossible (which is why I have stuck to the original C2D I got all those years ago), the fact that the sound is coming from the power regulation circuitry isn't surprising.

Back