An odd thought on watercooling

nomenon

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
14
I imagine that most anyone who does watercooling has nightmares about leaks getting on their mother board. Then for some reason I thought that the best way to prevent damage due to leaks would be to flip the case on it's side so that the motherboard is on top facing down. Most leaks would then just go down the sides of the hoses and fall on the bottom side of the case where it wouldn't hurt anything. (by gravity)

Such a precaution is likely not needed, but I figured that maybe I'd post just to see what people thought. the main downsides being that it would be hard to use the cdrom drive and it would be annoying to get inside since the side door would be facing down.

People with windows lights, and blow holes would likely scream in agony ;)
 
but thats only if u dont want to see it! and it would leak onto the boards before it hit the case. or the fan... hehe
 
Could see it getting on the board if you had it with the socket facing up, but I wa thinking down, besides, it would add some ghetto flair to the setup. if I had a camera I would do it with my nicely dented case and a heatercore with some fans duct taped on. Start a new thread called 1337 modding for the mechanically impared.
 
I would have agreed before, but when I had an.....issue, a long while ago when testing my setup.....I was using clamps to secure hoses to barbs, and I kept getting a tiny drip from the inlet of the MCW50. Well, I shut down, repositioned the clamp, and when I turned it on, the drip practically turned into a spray. I ended up switching to worm drive clamps, but that image of water spraying on my then brand new AIW 9700 Pro was just......yowch.
 
nomenon said:
I imagine that most anyone who does watercooling has nightmares about leaks getting on their mother board. Then for some reason I thought that the best way to prevent damage due to leaks would be to flip the case on it's side so that the motherboard is on top facing down. Most leaks would then just go down the sides of the hoses and fall on the bottom side of the case where it wouldn't hurt anything. (by gravity)

Such a precaution is likely not needed, but I figured that maybe I'd post just to see what people thought. the main downsides being that it would be hard to use the cdrom drive and it would be annoying to get inside since the side door would be facing down.

People with windows lights, and blow holes would likely scream in agony ;)

I think that it was pointed out in another thread that if you take your time and do things right with WC that leaks won't be an issue unless your tubing is old and has decayed with time.

But if you were really to pursue something like this then why not remedy the CD/DVD drive issue with external ones either USB2 or Firewire connected.
 
Or you could go the safety route, there are nonconductive coolants available. They don't have as good a thermal absorbing properties as plain water but they aren't that far off and if you are really worried about a leak, they could provide that peace of mind you are looking for.
 
I run mine 24/7, even with me being out of the room most of the time, and I havent had a major issue in 3-4 years.
 
I've had one leak on my system. It wasn't due to me hooking anything up wrong or brittle hoses. My Dtek Spir@l block started to leak (btw dtek was not helpful about the issue at all, no refund, nothing. Just an unhelpful email telling me it wasn't their problem), some how my polytop cracked on the side. It slowly dripped onto my video card. The leak was slow enough that all that died was my video card. Infact I have no idea how long it dripped for but I estimate for maybe a week. Even though I could see the block and I would randomly inspect it, the leak was just a small trickle that I didn't notice it until I pulled the system offline to investigate the random video issues (haha boy was I surprised).

I'm actually in the process right now of hooking up my system with a new dangerden TDX block. I'm a bit nervous of shotty engineering killing my system again.

BTW, what do you guys think the damage would be if water was to get into the power supply?
 
What I'm going to do is have the T used to fill the loop near the top of the case, and inline there will be a pressure sensor. If a line breaks, the T will empty, the pressure will go to zero, and that will trigger a circuit to kill power to my computer.
 
Back
Top