AN-M2 nView @ NewEgg

uzum4ki

Limp Gawd
Figures, the day after I order my new Core2 setup... :eek:

Link

Edit: They've also got some OpenBox NF-M2 nViews for $52+ship here.

Maybe nVidia has fixed their manufacturing issue...(I thought it was related to the bug that caused the 71xx chipset to suck more power than usual so laptop makers couldn't use it w/o having crappy battery life?)

Well, if the mobo has actually been released then that is good news for AMD fans. However since we are finally seeing some decent overclocking Conroe mATX mobos now (G33M-DS2R, with others planned) its kinda late for some. Intel chips are the thing to have and use now since they surpass AMD in overclocking ability. Its good though that the AN-M2 is in place however in case AMD pulls a strategic move by some miracle and can actually come up with a chip to rival Intel's current line up. Although I dont see that happening this year. Still, its nice that the AN-M2 is finally out.

Edit: Nice price on that mobo too. That makes it attractive. I hope its every bit as good as its predecessor.

Well, if the mobo has actually been released then that is good news for AMD fans. However since we are finally seeing some decent overclocking Conroe mATX mobos now (G33M-DS2R, with others planned) its kinda late for some. Intel chips are the thing to have and use now since they surpass AMD in overclocking ability. Its good though that the AN-M2 is in place however in case AMD pulls a strategic move by some miracle and can actually come up with a chip to rival Intel's current line up. Although I dont see that happening this year. Still, its nice that the AN-M2 is finally out.

Edit: Nice price on that mobo too. That makes it attractive. I hope its every bit as good as its predecessor.

I just picked up an f-i90HD and it died. I may actually return the f-i90hd, sell the e4400 and get an an-m2 and a x2 5600, just for stabilities sake. I'd rather not pay the $40+ it would cost to upgrade to the gigabyte g33, after restocking fee's and all. Especially since I'm building a pc with a g33 very soon.

If I end up getting the AN-M2HD like I think I am, you can have my NF-M2 for free, if you pay for shipping: and caveat emptor, the reason I'm upgrading is because I killed the BIOS chip, so that'll cost you about $25 to replace. I killded it, I killded the BIOS.

thats cool i have never seen a manu's website where you can buy BIOS chips... usually you have to call...

The AN-M2 is inferior to the NF-M2 in every way except for onboard video. Reasons:

1. Not nearly as many voltage options.
2. Safe Mode BIOS bug. If you overclock too far even once, no longer can you just reboot the system in CPU Safe Mode, go into the BIOS, scale the OC back and go on your merry way - no, this motherboard forces you to unplug the ATX power connector, remove the CMOS battery and clear CMOS in order to get display again. Why remove the battery? Well, because if you don't, like I did, then the system won't boot up at all until you clear the CMOS out with the battery removed- this is something I've recreated, so I don't think it's just me. Have I just been clearing CMOS wrong all these years, or do you really normally have to remove the battery to completely clear CMOS? And if that's the case, why has every other motherboard I've used worked by just changing the CMOS jumper?
3. As an extension of the above bug, if the system fails to boot and you then press reset and it somehow manages to get into CPU Safe Mode, it will be in CPU Safe Mode forever, until you remove the CMOS battery and clear CMOS again, and then reset your settings. Seriously, as soon as it goes into CPU Safe Mode it will never come out, even if you set it to load factory defaults, even if you load optimized settings, even if you manually set it to the stock settings. This BIOS has so many bugs it's ridiculous.
4. Onboard RAID drivers: when Windows shuts down, the RAID driver tells Windows to tell the system to just kill any of the drives in the array. This causes extra time to reboot due to the reinitialization, and shortens the life expectancy of the drive due to the way it cuts off the power. Nice software engineering, there.
5. I could hit 2.85 stable on my NF-M2 - the highest I've gotten on this board is about 2610, but overclocking in general is just a huge pain in the ass, mainly due to the aforementioned CPU Safe Mode bug.
6. Parts of the BIOS are in Engrish. Sketchy, that.
7. Oh, and my favorite part, the very first boot information text you receive, assuming you're using onboard video, is this:

MCP 68 - ENGINEERING RELEASE, NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE

Wow Abit, couldn't even at least change the onboard firmware to pretend it was tested for a production release, let alone actually test it. Smooth.

That's about all I can think of. I would highly recommend against buying the AN-M2 for anybody who still has any ability whatsoever to get an NF-M2.

The AN-M2 is inferior to the NF-M2 in every way except for onboard video. Reasons:
are you comparing the basic AN-M2 to the nF-M2 nView or did you get an AN-M2HD?
I know that the basic AN-M2 (there is no nView version) has more voltage options than the basic nF-M2S.

There are updated BIOS versions on the abit.com.tw ftp.

The RAID drivers are written & provided by nVidia.

Oh, & when clearing CMOS try just switching off the PSU & then pressing the case power button to discharge energy from the caps rather than having to unplug the ATX connector & remove the battery.

are you comparing the basic AN-M2 to the nF-M2 nView or did you get an AN-M2HD?
I know that the basic AN-M2 (there is no nView version) has more voltage options than the basic nF-M2S.

There are updated BIOS versions on the abit.com.tw ftp.

The RAID drivers are written & provided by nVidia.

Oh, & when clearing CMOS try just switching off the PSU & then pressing the case power button to discharge energy from the caps rather than having to unplug the ATX connector & remove the battery.
The AN-M2HD appears to be vaporware ATM...

I'll keep that in mind if I find any pounds or kronors under my couch cushions.

Nice deal on a great mobo! I love mine

X2 @ 3400Mhz on 1.375v! with a 300HTT=

I'm waiting until next week's reported AMD price cuts & then picking up an AN-M2 HD & an X2 3600+

Hearing 3ooFSB is a wall on this puppy... Not bad but the NFm2 was better. Still a decent OCer I guess.

I just built my Home Server based on this board, a 4200 x2 and 2GB of Corsair 1066..great board. No problems whatsoever. Will start overclocking a little tonight.

Hearing 3ooFSB is a wall on this puppy... Not bad but the NFm2 was better.
The nF-M2 nView yes, the basic nF-M2 wasn't.
That's why I want to see how the HD does against the base AN-M2.

However, having both the nb & sb integrated into 1 chip (as opposed to 2 on gf61xx) probably means higher chipset temps & that may be the limiting factor.

300fsb with a AMD chip is supposed to be pretty good. Especially on a matx mobo. The truth though is even with that good OC the Intel matx mobos are now the better OCers. The G33 chipset took the crown away from AMD just a month or two ago. AMD is losing in all areas now. mATX was their last area of ownership. All they can do is try to keep lowballing Intel on prices which they cant do to much longer I'm afraid.

All they can do is try to keep lowballing Intel on prices which they cant do to much longer I'm afraid.
Good for us meantime though - a mobo with reasonable int gfx, a dual core CPU (with the chance of hitting 3GHz) delivered for ~$135 before tax :)

The nF-M2 nView yes, the basic nF-M2 wasn't.
That's why I want to see how the HD does against the base AN-M2.

However, having both the nb & sb integrated into 1 chip (as opposed to 2 on gf61xx) probably means higher chipset temps & that may be the limiting factor.

That's what I meant! You knw that! :)

What is the usual wall on the ANm2? Was I right that it is 300?

If I don't do the Intel E4300 ( I know my chip does around 3.2 Stock) I may have to stick with AMD. Need a small case!

The basic AN-M2 does seem from the few reports to get to ~300.
I haven't seen a single AN-M2HD overclock yet which is why I'm getting 1, curiosity (I need another system like I need a hole in the head).

Back