An idiot looks for advice for a mixed Win7/OSX NAS/Backup system

-Title pretty much says it all. The home has a Windows Desktop, and Laptop (both running Win7) and a early 2011 MBP running 10.8.

I'm looking to build/setup/buy a small NAS to backup all three systems, but with particular focus on the laptops (they are the "work" machines, the desktop is a 'toy'.)

This NAS will probably be 2 2tb disks in Raid1, or maybe 3 2tb drives in Raid5, but I'm very open to other options, I don't know enough to know what I don't know yet!

Small as possible physical footprint, compatible with Time Machine, as low power-consumption as possible.

The home is Wireless-G(Stupid ATT UVerse), and the desktop is hardwired in. Router is 10/100 only. Might be willing to setup a Wireless-N or Gigabit network if required, but would prefer to avoid it for cost/connection reasons. (Getting the U-Verse modem to play well with another router can be difficult).

Cost is a factor, I have a ballpark I want to stay around, but I'm not sure if I'm even reasonably in the ballpark, so let's just say "inexpensive" for now ;)

I'm pretty familiar with hardware, but networking has always driven me up the wall, so I've never kept up with it. Hence my not knowing where to start.

(Full disclosure, the MBP is currently Time-Machining into a 500gb hdd, but I've just about filled up the 500gb because the MBP has almost 400gb of data on it. So I'm looking to future proof, and extend the 'go-back' possibilities of Time Machine for the future, while at the same time setting up the other 2 computers to be backed up, which they aren't at the moment.)

Synology DS212j

I have the older version (211j), and it's fantastic. Easy to set up, supports windows and mac, and seems to be rock solid. They have a 4 bay version if you want more space.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can the Synology be used with only one drive (to start?) It would allow me to put in a 2 or 3tb drive now, and mirror it in a few months when the budget is more friendly.

Back