• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

an epiphany more advice needed

rougeqc21

n00b
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
43
So I've found out that I only get the hissing sound from my monitors connected to my laptop when the laptop is plugged into the wall..l Advice, suggestions, insight, would be greatly appreciated :confused:
 
Well, I know virtually nothing about audio setups, but it sounds like a ground loop problem to me. You can try googling that. Sorry I can't be of more help, I know the concept mostly in name only.

Hope you can get it fixed up.
 
It sounds like you are using different hardware profiles when plugged in and when not.
The hardware profile for when it is plugged in may not have the drivers installed or the driver needs reinstalling.

If you boot without the power plugged in and then plug it in, does the sound still work?
 
If I boot with the power plugged in or not, it still works, just when the power is not plugged in there is no hum/hiss. I have the monsterpower surge protector coming in tommorow, and a Belkin Pure AV power conditioner later on in the week. Damn ground loops
 
Ah I see.
Does it do the same when plugged in at a friends house or different parts of your house?
If it does, it could be a noisy PSU.
If not, its noise on the house mains.
The surge suppressor might fix it, depends on the nature of the noise.
 
Im in a huge dorm complex, looks more like a highrise apartment building than stretched out apartment so that is what makes me think it is noise from the lines... I hope



Will post pictures of my setup as soon as my 24'' monitor gets in and the AV power conditioner :p
 
Many laptop power bricks are noisy as hell... Unfortunately there may not be a lot you can do about it. Because it is the brick itself, power conditioning probably wont help much.
 
Back
Top