An easy networking question (I think)...but 1 I have little experience with.

Marduk

Gawd
A coworker just asked me how to do the following:

1. A wireless connection is present.
2. The laptop has no wireless.
3. The desktop does have wireless
4. Assume the desktop is running XP Home, the laptop 2000 Pro.
5. The user does not want to buy a wireless card for the laptop (I know they're less than $20...but assume we're not buying a WiFi card)

How can he get the internet connection to the laptop?

I told him that he could probably bridge the 2 network cards in the desktop (the wifi and ethernet), and connect to the internet through that bridge. I know some friends of mine have done this at a LAN party, but I wasn't the one that actually did it.

If he does the above, will he need a crossover cable to go from desktop to laptop? When we did it before, we set it to the WAN port on a router...

Am I on the right track or way off?

Not sure what you mean by "setting it to the WAN port", but, assuming you do have a router, and your router/desktop are set up normally and works, all you need is a crossover from the desktop's second NIC to the laptop's NIC.

Then just enable Internet Connection Sharing, which is almost dummy proof.

When we shared WiFi last time, it was at a LAN party. We set the Router we were using to go to the bridged system for its WAN connection.

I don't believe we have a router to use here. Odds are it's just an access point, or else we'd just be able to connect to the router directly.

So, ICS & a crossover cable are all we'd likely need then?

Here's another question...I have a coupler to attach 2 ethernet cables together. Are there any issues with connecting a 1 foot crossover cable to a 20 foot regular cable via the coupler?

Marduk said:
When we shared WiFi last time, it was at a LAN party. We set the Router we were using to go to the bridged system for its WAN connection.

I don't believe we have a router to use here. Odds are it's just an access point, or else we'd just be able to connect to the router directly.

So, ICS & a crossover cable are all we'd likely need then?

Here's another question...I have a coupler to attach 2 ethernet cables together. Are there any issues with connecting a 1 foot crossover cable to a 20 foot regular cable via the coupler?

Unless the coupler reverses some pins on the other end, you will probably experience issues with it.

Back