An awesome Resident Evil 5 camera mod

WabeWalker

Supreme [H]ardness
Maxed out, this game looks stunning, especially with 16XQ AA - I spent about 4 hours on this last summer, before moving on to something else.

But what's made the game way more enjoyable for me is this camera mod I found, which pulls the camera back so that you can view your character from a much more normal 3'rd person perspective.

With this mod installed, instead of seeing your character's head, and a part of his shoulder, you see all of him, from about the thighs upwards. It really makes the game come to life. (And by the way, I'm normally a 360 controller guy - in this game, forget about it... you pretty much have to play with the mouse and keyboard.)

Here's the mod.

I highly recommend it.

You have to register at the site - it'll take you 30 seconds. And yeah it's worth it.

http://www.gamevixenzone.com/gvz/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=4492&sid=ce4bb82033eae24eef3af51f28ca508b

Also, the posted pictures are a little deceiving. They make it look like Sheva will be nude. That's a separate mod - and quite frankly a little silly, if you ask me. How desperate are we? Now we have to remove Shiva's clothing? Pfffft.

EDIT:

The guy who made this mod - Sectus - actually modified his mod by pulling the camera back even further. This page here is important if you want to see almost all of your character onscreen. Now the game looks much more like Mass Effect does. Actually, your character's onscreen positioning is exactly like it is in Mass Effect.

That default view was just way too claustrophobic for me. I love this new view.

http://www.gamevixenzone.com/gvz/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=4492&start=150

Last edited:
I hadn't realized that Resident Evil 5 was designed for the levels to be replayed multiple times - I mean, duh... which is why your inventory stays with you even when you restart the game. In single player, I'm finding the normal difficulty level to be pretty demanding - but you begin to learn the nuances of each level from repetition. It's actually kind of cool.

And the penny has finally dropped that the inventory space is deliberately kept low.

I complained about that when I first played this game. Now I see that inventory management is actually a part of the game itself, and requires some thought put into it. One slot items, for example, need to be used quickly, rather than saved, in order to free up that slot. It also means that you can't carry multiple weapons - you have to make a decision at the inventory management screen.

It's a pretty fun game when you realize what the designers attempted to do.

And damn is this ever a good looking game. I love the atmosphere.

Last edited:
I hadn't realized that Resident Evil 5 was designed for the levels to be replayed multiple times. In single player, I'm finding the normal difficulty level to be pretty demanding - but you begin to learn the nuances of each level from repetition. It's actually kind of cool.

And the penny has finally dropped that the inventory space is deliberately kept low.

I complained about that when I first played this game. Now I see that inventory management is actually a part of the game itself, and requires some thought put into it. One slot items, for example, need to be used quickly, rather than saved, in order to free up that slot. It also means that you can't carry multiple weapons - you have to make a decision at the inventory management screen.

It's a pretty fun game when you realize what the designers attempted to do.

And damn is this ever a good looking game. I love the atmosphere.

That's how all the RE games have been with inventory. It has always purposely had a limited inventory space.

This was one of the best looking PC games last year. I second everything that has been said so far. Well worth the price of the game...and I bought it brand new.

You should play it - it's a surprisingly good game.

I have no idea why I gave up on it? I guess that's what happens when you buy a new computer and install too many new titles... instead of focusing on just one, you end up installing a whole bunch and spreading yourself too thin.

This is why I'm glad I've caught up. After Metro, I'll have owned every title under the sun. Then I'll be taking on the titles as they arrive.

^ I know, I have a ridiculous number of Steam games I haven't finished. Every time something shiny and new comes out I play it for awhile, but it's rare for me to finish a game these days...

Reuploaded some pics so you don't have to register for the site... Register if you want to see the rest...
bsaa.jpg

shevabsaa.jpg

shevaplain.jpg

Does this game support mouse aiming on PC or do you have to use a controller? I know it's a dumb question but didn't one of the older ones (RE4) ship without mouse support?

Also, do you have to pay Capcom to unlock the multiplayer " " " DLC " " " content that's included on the disc?

That looks great. I think I'll be buying this game soon thanks to that mod.

Does this game support mouse aiming on PC or do you have to use a controller? I know it's a dumb question but didn't one of the older ones (RE4) ship without mouse support?

Also, do you have to pay Capcom to unlock the multiplayer " " " DLC " " " content that's included on the disc?

This game has full mouse support (and headshots are SO easy with the mouse)...and there is no DLC on the PC (to my knowledge). In my opinion, this was another quality port by Capcom for the PC and I enjoyed the game from beginning to end.

Download the mod, then download this as well.

http://www.gamevixenzone.com/gvz/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=4492&start=150

It's the post at the top by Sectus that you'll want to look at. He pulled the camera back even further, so that you can see all of your character (so essentially, the images you're seeing above - the camera is even a little further back from the character... in my mind, it's pretty much perfect). Sectus also increased the FOV. The second file takes about 1 second to download.

Overall, this makes a HUGE difference to the game. It looks and feels like a normal 3'rd person game now. I went back to the non-modded version tonight and just couldn't play it. It's ridiculous how much screen space the onscreen character takes up. I can't believe that the people who designed this were satisfied releasing the game like that. It was the only miss-step they made.

Last edited:

I'm a 360 controller guy - but this game works beautifully with the mouse and keyboard, so much so that I'd have to say it plays and feels like a different game almost.

Resident Evil 5 is the perfect example of how to port a game - you can mod it, the controls are vastly superior, the graphics are light years ahead of the console version and will take advantage of all your state-of-the-art hardware (Core i7 support, and DX 11 support are part of the package here).

Capcom deserves praise for this one.

Last edited:
oh wow, I remember why I didn't finish this game.
because I suck at it

It's difficult.

You really have to manage your inventory in this game. The shotgun is the most powerful weapon, but needs to be upgraded to the max, and used only when it's absolutely needed. With regular zombies you don't waste shotgun ammo - only if they come at you in hordes.

It's also worth noting that retreating in this game is essential. If you just stand there, you're going to die.

The game was clearly designed to be played multiple times though, which is why your inventory stays with you forever, even if you start a brand new game. You can even replay the chapters and re-gather loot and sell it to upgrade your weapons.

There are also a ton of un-lockable features - such as if you upgrade your weapon to the max: do that and the next time you play the game that weapon will have unlimited ammo. Apparently, once you've completed the game you get to play as Shiva. If you finish the game on the highest difficult setting (which seems an almost impossibility for me) then you can actually play solo, without the other character even being there.

But yeah, this is a tough game. I'm playing at Amateur level right now, and am still finding it pretty tough in places.

Playing without Sheva is actually a plus in this game, since the AI is horrible and all does is waste your bullets.

This is a decent enough game in co-op, but I can't imagine ever playing it single player. Resident Evil 4 was so much better in every way and it boggles the mind how Capcom took so many step backwards with this installment. They even copy/pasted death animations of the Ganado for the Majini. It's amazing.

Playing without Sheva is actually a plus in this game, since the AI is horrible and all does is waste your bullets.

Shiva is excellent. No way would the game be 'easier' without her.

This is one of the best AI's I've ever seen. First of all, she has two modes, defensive and attack. These modes are enabled with a touch of a button. The up-arrow key puts Shiva into attack mode. The down arrow puts her into defensive mode.

95% of the time you should have Shiva in defensive mode - this way she won't 'waste' ammunition.

You simply equip Shiva with a stun rod and a machine gun. When Shiva is in attack mode she'll attack using the machine gun. When she's in defensive mode, however, she'll attack only using her stun rod, thus preserving the precious machine gun ammunition.

You need to find as much machine gun ammo as you can, and have Shiva store it up.

Then when you tackle a difficult sub-boss, you automatically switch Shiva into attack mode, whereupon she'll let loose with her machine gun - I've just defeated a chain-saw wielding NPC which would've been way more difficult if Shiva hadn't been there to support me. With her there, fighting alongside me in attack mode, and using her machine gun (she went through 250 rounds in a matter of seconds) we easily defeated one of the games' more difficult sub-bosses.

And I mean easily.

When she's in defensive mode, completely on her own, she'll equip her stun rod, and attack zombies that are approaching from my rear - if I'm near death then she'll spray me with a hypo spray and save my life, right on queue. She never gets in the way, and is always exactly where I want her to be.

I'd say that's pretty damned good for a PC game.

Yeah i got owned on the like the first stage.

Re1/2 were amazing games and I LOVED them. I beat RE4 on the wii and it took me about 4 months lol. you really have to change your tactics on this game. i'll give it another shot in the morning.

Shiva is excellent. No way would the game be 'easier' without her.

This is one of the best AI's I've ever seen.
My copy must've been a dud, because my Sheva was a moron... Spams shots like mad, chews through health sprays like there's no tomorrow, wanders off constantly, and takes her sweet fucking time whenever I actually need her help with something. She's nothing more than a dimwitted pack mule until you get her a decent infinite ammo weapon, and by that time, you've probably got your own maxed-out infinite ammo magnum (at which point the whole thing becomes so easy there's even less reason to have her around).

I hate to ask this, but where do you install this second fov mod? Also, if you have problems with sheva set her to 'stay' instead of letting her run around at will. Helped me.

My copy must've been a dud, because my Sheva was a moron... Spams shots like mad, chews through health sprays like there's no tomorrow, wanders off constantly, and takes her sweet fucking time whenever I actually need her help with something. She's nothing more than a dimwitted pack mule until you get her a decent infinite ammo weapon, and by that time, you've probably got your own maxed-out infinite ammo magnum (at which point the whole thing becomes so easy there's even less reason to have her around).

You've got her in attack mode. You need to switch her into defense mode and equip her with a stun rod. If you don't like the way she uses health sprays then carry them yourself - personally, she's saved my neck a bunch of times now.

How many hours do you get out of this game?

10-12.

But the game is clearly designed to be played multiple times. There are three levels of difficulty - and I'd say that the third level can't be completed unless you've finished the game once and unlocked all the most powerful weapons, which will be available to you right away the next time you play.

In fact, you'll actually keep your inventory - even after you've completed the game.

There are a ton of unlockables too. For example, if you max out the upgrades of a weapon during your playthrough, then the next time you play the game, that weapon will have unlimited ammo.

But make sure you take a look at the camera mod if you do buy this - for me, it's made a world of difference.

I hated this game, it took everything good about resident evil 4 and tossed it out the window. It's just an action game now, even with this mod I'm not inclined to play though it again.

I just kept a upgraded pistol on Shiva at all times, and never let her touch another weapon. It was the first gun i upgraded to infinite ammo. There is so much pistol ammo in the game i didn't care if she ripped through it. Other than that she served as a pack mule and savior at times. Worked out really well for me. This game was OBVIOUSLY made to be played co-op. The tactics to beat many of the bosses (one in particular) requires one person to draw the attention of the foe while the other flanks it and pumps its weak spot full of lead. The AI...yeh it didn't do this very well and made many of the boss battles more difficult than I would have liked. That being said, I have beaten the game and would love a chance to play through it on co-op with someone.

Now all i need is a mod to play a Jill and this game is everything I hoped it could be.

Edit: We need some talented modders to put the cast of RE in L4D.
Edit 2: AAHH! Look what i found! http://remodding.com/forums/index.php?/topic/764-left-4-dead-2-resident-evil-characters-mods/

Last edited:
this game is made to be played with a controller. Keyboard and mouse pros look elsewhere and save yourself the frustration.

I would like to add an alternative viewpoint to the above comment. I Tried playing this game with my wired 360 USB controller and M/KB. I found the M/KB combo to be the most fun and effective of the two options. Some adjustment of mouse sensitivity is needed to get the mouse control you want...but isn't that the same for EVERY PC game?

this game is made to be played with a controller. Keyboard and mouse pros look elsewhere and save yourself the frustration.

Holy cow, I could not disagree more. I love the 360 controller, but this game controls way better with the keyboard and mouse.

I never... and I mean NEVER... abandon my controller if there's native support for it... but this game just works beautifully with the keyboard and mouse.

I mean, to each his own - but yeah, this really surprises me.

How many hours do you get out of this game?

I got probably 60-80 hours. But I beat the game 3 or 4 times and unlocked every 360 achievement as well as put some hours into the multiplayer DLC (kinda sucked).

Oh, and I also put probably 5-10 hours into the meta-game.

Back