AMT + ESXi = no more AMT??

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by MaxBurn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MaxBurn

MaxBurn [H]ard|Gawd

Edit; I forgot that instead of setting a static IP I put in a static DHCP reservation in the router (pfsense). And then I virtualized the router...

I built my first ESXi server this weekend. I started out by getting AMT sorted out and verified it working for both the web page power management and VNC, seemed all good. Then I loaded ESXi 6.5 and made a couple VM. Somewhere along the way I lost all access to AMT, can't get the web page or VNC any more.

Is there a best practice at combining these? Currently I have the ESXi management network using the same IP address. Looked around in the ESXi firewall and I don't see 16992 or 5900 blocked. Put it on a different IP? Or something else I'm missing?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

Er, I've never used it personally, but my understanding is that AMT runs 'out of band' from the installed OS. In other words, it needs its own IP address and cannot share.

What platform is your ESXi based on? Motherboard, I mean really.

3. MaxBurn

MaxBurn [H]ard|Gawd

Supermicro C7Q270-CB-ML-O
    I thought I read somewhere that they could have the same IP address and it started out working that way. But of course I forgot about the DHCP reservation part in my edit above. I mapped it to a static and went with a separate IP just in case.

I'm pretty disappointed I can't see temps and fan info through AMT. Can't see it at the moment in ESXi either, I think I need to look at loading a driver or something.

4. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

What version of ESXi?

Keep in mind, you're running a workstation board as an ESXi server; you may not get a CIM package that exposes the sensor data you're looking for.