• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Amping Sens 555s

tarez

n00b
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
63
Yo, pretty much a newb in the whole audio game, but after reading a ton and doing hours of research I picked up a set of Sens 555s for a price about $100 shipped about a month back. Now I have been very satisfied with the sound, but just have a question.

I was just curious if an amp would make the sound any better in the following situation?

Now I have tried running the cans two ways, first directly from my Audigy 2zs w/ KX drivers using the rear channels swapped w/ the front. Secondly my usual setup is the same as above except that I plug the cans into the headphone jack of my logitech z-5300s and switch the KX drivers to 2 channel sound instead of 5.1. I keep the windows (and thus the audigy volume) at 50% and adjust the volume with the dial on the z-5300s.

Obviously the z-5300s are amping the sound; however would the quality be noticably better on seperate amp (running directly from the Aud 2 to the amp and then to the cans) or do you think that the z-5300s amping the sound would be about the same level of quality? I know you can drive the 555s pretty well unamped as well, so I was just curious.

Just something I have been wondering about for a while :D

Thanks alot for any answers.
 
Let me ask you a "dumb" question.

Which sounds better to you...
Connecting the phones directly to the card or running them through the speakers headphone jack?
 
At the same volume they are pretty close as long as I keep Audigy volume within reason. I can get a fuller, cleaner sound running through the z-5300s at higher volumes.

I understand the idea of go w/ what sounds better to you, but the question was would purchasing or building an amp and using that in place of the 5300s headphone jack, result in noticeably higher quality sound using the Sens 555s.

Sorry for any confusion :(
 
if you buy a seperate "real" amp.. you run it straight from the source to the amp to the cans...
dont bother with the logitechs.. only makes it sound worst.
 
Thanks for the reply and fully agreed. I was just curious if the sound quality of that set up would be better than using the logitechs as the amp :D
 
tarez said:
Thanks for the reply and fully agreed. I was just curious if the sound quality of that set up would be better than using the logitechs as the amp :D

of course it will
 
Well I apologize for not knowing the quality of sound output that the logitech headphone jack provides, thats the only reason I asked the question in the first place. I figured it would but didn't know if it would be noticably different or not, and don't want to invest money into something and get little or no return.

Thanks for the replies :D
 
Back
Top