Amp for X-LS speakers?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to venture out of the headphone world and try some speakers! I have a very nice source (ori mod zhaolu) and I plan on starting off with some B stock X-LS speakers from AV123.com (any other recommendations <200?) but I need an amp and have no idea where to look. I'm willing to spend ~100 give or take a bit for an entry level amp. Can it be done? I haven't delved into the realm of DIY amps but if there was a comprehensive guide with parts lists/places to buy I'd be willing to try.

I've also considered eventually going 5.1 as I play my 360 in my room from time to time and I use some junk klipsch GMX 5.1 setup now. Would I notice a difference between a decent budget amp and a decent budget receiver for music at this level of speaker? Running my zhaolu DAC as a source for music with the receiver option of course.

Also are there any CHEAP non DIY racks/stands/shelfs SOMETHING that looks halfway decent to keep all my components on?

For that price range your best bet is a receiver.

Most of the DIY amps I have seen are not low end. Take a look at the HYPEX amps offered at www.diycable.com. Many sites offer HYPEX based amplifiers.

I am using high-end DIY speakers from www.rawacoustics.com. Many of the speaker designs were worked on by the same guy that designed the x-ls speakers. I power them using a panasonic receiver with a digital amplifier. (XR-25)

With a digital amplifier there is no digital to analog conversion if you are using a digital source.

hmm... any receiver recommendations?

Panasonic XR-55 -- excellent receiver, and has won many people over. If you don't believe me, go check out that 100+ page long thread at avsforum about it.

Panasonic XR-55 -- excellent receiver, and has won many people over. If you don't believe me, go check out that 100+ page long thread at avsforum about it.

any reputable places to buy it? ebay comes up with nothing and everything on froogle is no name stores.

I got mine at www.jr.com for $200 + $15 shipping, I believe.

Edit: I just checked, and they have it for $180! In my opinion, that's a deal.

JR.com is great. I have ordered from there in the past. I got my xr-25 for a steal, it was $135 OTD NIB from sears.

Ah sweet thanks. I clicked a JR link from AVSF and the page was gone so I figured it was discontinued.

I don't know about how the speakers would go with it, but the amp seems quite nice. "Warm" was the most common adjective, and I'm assuming with the nice frequency response of those X-LSs (damn, I'm going to get some of my own when I can) it would be quite pleasing. I think you could find a better price, though.

Cheapest I could find, new at least. Found one at head-fi but the headphone out is semi broken

Back