• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Amp for an AT A900?

have2p

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
160
I'm buying some AT A900's and I've got an X-Fi. I know nothing about amps. Should I get one? Which one would you recommend? I'm willing to spend probably around $100 unless I really need to spend more. Links to a store would be appreciated... I have no idea where to buy this from.
 
I've got the a900 (as you can see in my sig). I've also got my friends millet hybrid amp for the next while.

As far as reponse to amping goes, the difference in my MS-1s is FAR more pronounced than with the a900s. You do get a slightly more full sound when amped on the a900s. It seems to bring back a bit of the recessed mids. As far as volume goes, if you were running them out of somethign liek the line-out on the chaintech av-710 I'd say get an amp as it cannot drive even these easy to drive headphones well. There is ample volume on a creative card->a900s so you won' tneed one for that. On the whole I don't think the difference is sufficient enough to warrant the cost of an amp for them in your situation.

Here's hoping my monday morning rambling makes some sense.
 
if you are familiar with soldering, try getting a "pint" kit that are sold by akzip on headfi. Other than that, nothing under 100$ will really be worth getting for a900's. If you are willing to spend over 100$, how much more are you willing to spend? at that point, you may be better off getting better headphones and an amp as well.
 
Back
Top