• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Amp for 2.0 speakers

twitch

n00b
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
10
Hello,

I recently just built a new computer and I am currently looking to piece together a decent sounding 2.0 setup. I listen to a wide variety of music - but mostly rock. I dont watch any movies on my computer but I do game occasionally (guild wars, unreal tournament 3, MW2).

I prefer to go the passive route as i will be looking to upgrade to a receiver in the distant future (possibly denon 1910). In the meantime, I need something to power a pair of 2.0 speakers as well as a headphone.

These are the speakers I am currently looking at. Are there better options for me in the under $175 range?


As far as whats on my computer - I have this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423) motherboard which has the Realtek ALC889 chipset with 8 channels - from what I understand - i dont need a dac.

From my reading - i constantly came across the T-amp (http://www.p-macaudio.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1). After more reading - ive come to the conclusion that this wouldnt be enough to drive either of the speakers I have listed without some sort of distortion (clipping?)

Would anyone be able to suggest something that fits the bill? Also, space is an issue and I would like to keep it as small, discreet and sleek as possible. I am not sure what a good price is for something like this but I would like to keep it under $200 if that is possible. I really do like the look of the p-mac audio amp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
 

I agree with Zenshi. If you total budget is $175 (Speakers) + $200 (Amp) you should consider the Gizmo/WAF-1 combo from TCA. Infact, HIGHLY consider.

http://ninjasreview.com/images/tweak-city-audio-waf-1-loudspeaker-001.jpg

Artsy shot from Skiing Ninja from the TCA forums.
 
Will any of these allow switching between the speakers and a pair of headphones?
 
normally, if you use the front headphone jack on your computer it will automatically switch from speaker output to the front headphone jack only....
 
normally, if you use the front headphone jack on your computer it will automatically switch from speaker output to the front headphone jack only....

I am aware of that - lol... But they wont amplify the headphones, correct?
 
oh no i guess not. dont you normally have powered headphones though? sorry i dont ever use the things in any case, i dont know what im talking about
 
Im just as clueless...

The headphones should run off the front jack without a problem - but I assume the amplifier will allow me to produce a clearer sound at a higher level (not deafening). Or am I totally off?
 
Back
Top