Ammo Can Computer

dalton

Weaksauce
So I know its been done before, but I am going to do it again. I have an ammo box that is approx 8" wide, 18" long, and 14" tall. Here is a pic:

cf_1_b.JPG

What do you think? I am looking for ideas. I have most of the components, but I am trying to put together my game plan. I am going to cut into it if necessary, so I may even put in a window or something, but I don't know for sure. I may try to keep it looking just like an ammo can. Need help deciding.

That should look cool when its done, and amazingly portable! Id go with a window on the side, maybe find some bullet fan grills.

With these kinds of mods (where you put a computer in a non-computer type thing) I like to keep it looking as much like the original thing as possible. I want people to look at the ammo cox and say, "woah, I had a computer was in there or that you could even put one in there."

That's just my preference though. If you were to go with a window etc., I'd suggest a military theme of some sort.

It's been done before, yes, but it really doesn't get old. I agree with keeping it as close to the original as possible though.

a classic idea. I always thought that if you wanted to add a window you could make it into a shadow box of sorts using empty cartridges with plexi bullets, put an led behind the bullet part, in the empty cartridge and it could like like they are some kind of radioactive type shells scattered in the box.

Someone needs to find a 30mm ammo can. plenty of room in there. Depleted uranium shells would be cool too.

I don't think depleted uranium nor 30mm incindiary rounds come in cans, I'm pretty sure they come in big ass crates of some sort. But I'm not positive.

I think the ammo box pc would look pretty cool. But keeping it original looking is how I'd do it too.

I am leaning to keep it original and not do too many mods to it, but still not completely sure. There is sooo much room in this thing its crazy. I am just worried about venting it. Can't afford water cooling, so I don't know what to do yet. I am thinking I am going to do it a lot like one off mini-itx.com with everything plugging into the top and using an aluminium frame inside. It should be a fun project. Thanks for the input, I like the bullet ideas and such.

personaly i prefer ammo cans that look normal as apposed to those with fan grills and lights everywhere

Moose777 said:
I don't think depleted uranium nor 30mm incindiary rounds come in cans, I'm pretty sure they come in big ass crates of some sort. But I'm not positive.

I was about to say that it's normally just belts that have cans (the belt equivalent of a magazine, I suppose), but I remembered that some large shells (like 105mm tank shells) also come in quite impressive looking metal containers. A bit unwieldy, though!

Since the thing opens diagnally, you are gonna have to make a custom mobo tray, so you don't ruin the box. Put some huge pullets in it also.. Or do some bulletproof glass that is slightly shattered somewhere.

elite.mafia said:
Since the thing opens diagnally, you are gonna have to make a custom mobo tray, so you don't ruin the box. Put some huge pullets in it also.. Or do some bulletproof glass that is slightly shattered somewhere.
"Since the thing opens diagnally" - You're mistaken if you are thrown off by the stiffener brace running diagonally on the sides of the can. The large cans have two camming / levered handles, one at each end, that lock the flat top lid into place.
And cans that large are usually either high-capacity 50cal, or for Mk19 40mm grenade belts.

elite.mafia said:
bleh It looked like it opened diagonally.... =/
Would be an idea for a 'different' ammo can mod - concealed hinge at the lower corner, hide the diagonal cut behind that stiffener brace, some kind of internal bracket or just a nice screw through the flange of the brace to lock it in the closed position so you can carry it like a normal ammo can.

Yeah, its a 50 cal I believe. I may do a work log for this, depending on the camera working or not, so look for a start in the next couple months if you're interested. Thanks for the input everyone.

Nice, keep us up to date... Personally I would water cool the thing and have only the two water leads in and out of the sealed box. Make some covert tubing out of something military themed and attach it to the radiator and fan externally.

Maybe some type of homemade minigun looking thing. A pipe down the center with fans inside moving air through and lots of small diameter pipes mounted around the center large pipe to make the barrels. Put the radiator in the middle and have some bullets going from the gun to the ammo box. Just throwing random ideas around... Havent seen that done before...

That's a 40mm case. It's a about as wide and tall a metal box you'll find for US ammo cans. The 25mm cans are made of a thick black plastic - not easy to mod and would dissipate heat poorly. If you make the front side of the case the side with the lid, you can keep the lid and use handles for moving around.

Back