AmigaOne X1000 coming LATE 2010

OhMyGod

Gawd
Flock me, it said late summer before.

I so want to get back to using a computer that is fun and just freaking works in a way that makes sense, NO FARKING REGISTRY!

http://www.a-eon.com/

Go buy a Mac then.

Modern Macs are x86 machines, and as such, cannot run Amiga OS. There are, however, alternative bootloaders available that can boot Amiga OS4 on an older PowerPC Mac. Many people have turned used PowerPC Mac Mini's into cheap Amiga machines (though not as powerful as the X1000).

If you were attempting to recommend OSX on the merits of its lack of a registry...that doesn't really hold water. Macs have plist files, which are used as a registry equivalent in OSX (though plist files get spread out across the platters of your hard disk because they float freely in the file system, rather than being stored and kept together in a single database file.).

"/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences" on OSX
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER" on Windows.

"/Library/Preferences" on OSX
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" on Windows.

Being that Amiga OS is still a single-user environment that has no concept of permissions, it has forgone both of the above approaches. Settings and preferences are simply stored in the same folder as the application they belong to. This tends to be far easier for single users to understand, but it's inefficient and makes it difficult to integrate permissions and multi-user capabilities at a later date.

As for fulfilling the criteria of being "fun and just freaking work[ing] in a way that makes sense;" that's personal preference. It appears that the OPs preference is for Amiga OS and not OSX.

OK, so, it's a neat operating system. But what the hell do I do with it? Nobody is going to write any software for it but like 5 people.

OK, so, it's a neat operating system. But what the hell do I do with it? Nobody is going to write any software for it but like 5 people.

Yep, pretty much.

It's not like it will work with any of the old amiga hardware like a Toaster board set.

well you have the argument that people write software for solaris... and only 1 company uses it

I used to love my old Amiga (just a lowly A500) but I too can't understand why anyone would want this. Is UAE not good enough for some people?

I used to love my old Amiga (just a lowly A500) but I too can't understand why anyone would want this. Is UAE not good enough for some people?

Exactly.

Its not like AOS4 is revolutionary. You won't be able to run most of your old apps unless you emulate anyway.

As much as I loved the Amiga, sometimes you just have to let go.

UAE can't emulate a PowerPC accelerator card, which means it can't run a lot of later classic Amiga applications that depended upon such accelerator cards.

UAE can't emulate a PowerPC accelerator card, which means it can't run a lot of later classic Amiga applications that depended upon such accelerator cards.

what applications? most were ports from 680x0. you really won't miss much, if anything.

So why not just... program it to be able to?

I think you underestimate how difficult that task is. People have been asking for it for years, and the devs continually turn it down as there are more important things to get working.

what applications? most were ports from 680x0. you really won't miss much, if anything.

Quite a few games, not to mention demoscene stuff.

I think you underestimate how difficult that task is. People have been asking for it for years, and the devs continually turn it down as there are more important things to get working.

Quite a few games, not to mention demoscene stuff.

I checked HOL database and the only game I've found that requires PPC is quake 2, the rest are ports.

Sure there may be others, but why waste time and resources when you already have support for 90%+ for native Amiga games.

As you clearly said "devs continually turn it down as there are more important things to get working"

You are not missing anything.

As much as I loved the Amiga, sometimes you just have to let go.

+1
the amiga holds many fond memories for me - and i still enjoy the classics (via emulation)

it willl be intresting to see that the x1000 will bring to an already pretty congested and competitive market...

You are not missing anything.

Unless you like to develop for and/or run modern demoscene apps (as I mentioned previously). Some of them are written only for PPC because it's faster on these old machines.

Such demos are limited to actual Amiga hardware until UAE has PPC functionality.

Last edited:
I really want this, but I just know it's going to be far too expensive. I want it just for the novelty factor. I find various processors and operating systems fascinating. I also want to get a hold of an SGI system running IRIX, build a system for Haiku, and maybe dabble a bit with eCS and Solaris.

I really want this, but I just know it's going to be far too expensive. I want it just for the novelty factor. I find various processors and operating systems fascinating. I also want to get a hold of an SGI system running IRIX, build a system for Haiku, and maybe dabble a bit with eCS and Solaris.

wow, I didn't know people still wanted to dabble wiht SGI stuff. about 4 months ago I helped get rid of a lab of 30+ SGI machines I think they were Indigo 2's or something with 550 mhz mips based cpu with the George Forman style heat sink. I will try to find a pic. I would have pulled some aside since they still worked. but we thought that no one wanted them... We also threw out probably over 70-100 sun ultrasprac60's and sunblade 100's I grabed one of each my ultra 60 is kick in with dual 450 mhz ultrasparc II's amd 2gb's of ram! and 2 9gb scsi 160' drives. but we tossed them for the same reason.

Makes me nostalgic might have to try to get the old Amiga 4000 up and running see if I can get XCOM or something going.

why are people busting the OPs balls, he is an amiga fan, let him be one.

I would snag a x1000 just for what it is.

That is awesome. I had one back in the day. If that comes out, I may have to buy one just to be able to explain to fam. / friends what it is. ;)

wow, I didn't know people still wanted to dabble wiht SGI stuff. about 4 months ago I helped get rid of a lab of 30+ SGI machines I think they were Indigo 2's or something with 550 mhz mips based cpu with the George Forman style heat sink. I will try to find a pic. I would have pulled some aside since they still worked. but we thought that no one wanted them... We also threw out probably over 70-100 sun ultrasprac60's and sunblade 100's I grabed one of each my ultra 60 is kick in with dual 450 mhz ultrasparc II's amd 2gb's of ram! and 2 9gb scsi 160' drives. but we tossed them for the same reason.

DSCN9508s.jpg

still breaks my heart what happened to amiga. i remember when the old gateway 2000 bought them, i had just started working there at gateway and was frantically trying to get a manager to help me figure out how to transfer to that division. in hindsight, its probably a good thing i didnt, but still. if ted waite had lived up to his promises regarding amiga, we could have been living in a very very different computer ecosystem.

i remember reading somewhere that both gates and jobs had both been on record that the thing that scared them the most in their careers, was seeing the commodore amiga for the first time. ill have to see what book that came out of. maybe this weekend ill see what i can find if nobody knows and doesnt post before i do.

boing!

As a former owner of an Amiga 500 and a 4000 back when they were "state of the art", I miss the excitement that those machines used to give me because they were so different than anything else at the time.

The only other thing that was exciting back then was BeOS.

Nowadays, a PC is a PC and a Mac is a Mac, neither is really exciting to me.

I still remember the day I bought the 500 with a joystick and Shadow of the Beast by Psygnosis. The audio in that game alone was worth the price.

I'd be tempted to snag one of these new boxes to mess with if the chance presents itself.

I too am a former Amiga owner (Amiga 1000 the original beast).
Defender of the Crown - nuff said.

It was sold long ago, back in the dark times (when 12 mhz processors, floppy drives, and dinosaurs ruled the earth) to purchase my wife's engagement ring.

That was back in 1988, for all you young whippersnappers always playing on my front lawn....

+1
the amiga holds many fond memories for me - and i still enjoy the classics (via emulation)

it willl be intresting to see that the x1000 will bring to an already pretty congested and competitive market...

I personally totally understand. With all the new amazing stuff we have, us old timers, love our old stuff. I can still remember the first time in the 70s I sat down at a flat glass pong machine at the arcade. I have saved almost every system I ever bought or bought for my kids. If I could find my Coleco Vision indy style car game, oh the hours friends and I spent trying to beat each others times. way before Frogger copied the not hit other objects.

Have Coleco, Atari Jaguar, NES, SNES (with memory box converter and a 40MB HD loaded with 100s of games). PS1 Mod'ed), PS2, PS3. Xbox (Mod'ed), Dream, Wii and love to play the SNES Japanese Baseball LOL. Man am I getting old.

Is this a Hijack or old memories, I forget LOL..

Some of us are considered to be "old timers," definitely. I built my first "computer" at age 7 - the classic Altair 8800 from the kit sold by Popular Electronics back in 1975, so we've come a very long way in a rather short amount of time in the big picture.

I still say to this day that the Amiga was and still is the best personal computer ever made, and I'll stand by that for what appears to be a very long time, indeed. :)

I don't think this newfangled Amiga stuff is worth anything, however. They lost the spirit of what made Amigas great decades ago. Commodore just screwed that pooch so badly it never recovered. :(

"The Amiga of old is dead. Long live the Amiga."

Some of us are considered to be "old timers," definitely. I built my first "computer" at age 7 - the classic Altair 8800 from the kit sold by Popular Electronics back in 1975, so we've come a very long way in a rather short amount of time in the big picture.

I still say to this day that the Amiga was and still is the best personal computer ever made, and I'll stand by that for what appears to be a very long time, indeed. :)

I don't think this newfangled Amiga stuff is worth anything, however. They lost the spirit of what made Amigas great decades ago. Commodore just screwed that pooch so badly it never recovered. :(

"The Amiga of old is dead. Long live the Amiga."

QFT
when the amiga was released it was decades ahead of its time, hardware and software wise. but now it seems like its decades behind. At least the AOS seems to hold its own even today.

A few years ago, I had a couple of Ultra-60's with duall 300 MHz processors, 2 GB of RAM. They also had the Creator 3D frame buffers too. Good machines. I had Solaris 8 on one, and Linux on the other. I also played with Linux on a couple old Sparc 20's with dual Hypersparc processors running 166 MHz. These had 512 MB of RAM, and performed pretty well.

And finally, to really date myself, my senior year of college, I helped manage a lab of Sun systems. We had 4 Sun 3/60's (20 MHz 68020), 2 3/80's (20 MHz 68030), and toward the end of the year 2 Sparc 1's (aka 4/60).

It was this experience with Unix on the Sun systems that led me down the road of running Linux on PC's, starting with Slakware on a 20 MHz 386 with 4 MB of RAM, and a 70 MB hard drive. I now have a 2.4 GHz Q6600 quad core with 8 GB of RAM, and a 4 TB RAID array. At work, manage a dept. Linux server with dual 2.33 GHz quad-core Xeons, 16 GB of RAM, and a 3 TB RAID array. Oh, how far we've come!

It was sold long ago, back in the dark times (when 12 mhz processors, floppy drives, and dinosaurs ruled the earth) to purchase my wife's engagement ring.

That was back in 1988, for all you young whippersnappers always playing on my front lawn....

Ahh, someone else from my Era (see my Sparc post). I started with the Commodore 64. Great machine for its time. I unfortunately had to toil with DOS for a few years in college, as I couldn't afford a Mac or an Amiga. I did get my paws on a pirated copy of Xenix my senior year and put it on my then-new 20 MHz 386.

I personally totally understand. With all the new amazing stuff we have, us old timers, love our old stuff. I can still remember the first time in the 70s I sat down at a flat glass pong machine at the arcade. I have saved almost every system I ever bought or bought for my kids. If I could find my Coleco Vision indy style car game, oh the hours friends and I spent trying to beat each others times. way before Frogger copied the not hit other objects.

Have Coleco, Atari Jaguar, NES, SNES (with memory box converter and a 40MB HD loaded with 100s of games). PS1 Mod'ed), PS2, PS3. Xbox (Mod'ed), Dream, Wii and love to play the SNES Japanese Baseball LOL. Man am I getting old.

Is this a Hijack or old memories, I forget LOL..

Me too (getting old): anyone else here that had an Atari 2600 when they first came out? I really envied my friends that had the Colecovision. I wanted an Atari 5200, but never had one, got the C64 instead.

We had a C128/64 growing up. Dad got his first A500 when I was 8. I used to play the crap out of a game called Xenon. The old man got tired of sharing, so he got me my own A500 when I was 10... Then he got an A1200 when they came out... Totally cool. Then I got one when I was 14 and modded it into a tower. Fun project.. Took a ribbon cable and soldered it in between the motherboard and the little plastic keyboard connector (which was surface mount). Funny how mods nowadays involve cutting a hole in some metal and sliding in a piece of plastic or a fan. We used to have an 060 in the 1200, too. I can't remember what the board was called, but I remember it being awesome.

I kept that thing until I was 18, went off to college, and everything was Microshaft. Oh well... As long as I get my games and my boobies I'm good.

The sad thing is that I think back on all of this stuff and realize that now I'm 30 years old with a 2 yr old running around and another one on the way. Dang.

The sad thing is that I think back on all of this stuff and realize that now I'm 30 years old with a 2 yr old running around and another one on the way. Dang.

You mean PCs right? :D:D

You need to upgrade the 2yo, its obsolete now.

Back