Americans Are Stifling Creativity on Outdated Computing Devices

But it can.

What's standard now? Win8.1 right? I don't know about you guys, but I hated win8 the moment I got that stupid tiled environment and the only thing that has improved it has been learning how to make it boot to desktop. That one issue alone would have many folks wasting a bunch of time learning a new UI that does nothing at all for their productivity or creativity, in fact, it's a distraction by it's very design.

For desktop use, the recent 8.1 Update boots to the desktop when a mouse is detected automatically, this is no longer an issue. Modern apps, with the exception of the PDF viewer, are no longer set as defaults when a mouse is detected, you get the good old desktop apps. Windows never has had an in the box PDF viewer so even the modern PDF viewer might be an improvement over not seeing the document.

The current 8.1 Update experience even on the desktop especially with cheaper laptops and desktops is will still be better than XP era devices for many just because 8.1 is a heck of lot more efficient with current hardware.

For desktop use, the recent 8.1 Update boots to the desktop when a mouse is detected automatically, this is no longer an issue. Modern apps, with the exception of the PDF viewer, are no longer set as defaults when a mouse is detected, you get the good old desktop apps. Windows never has had an in the box PDF viewer so even the modern PDF viewer might be an improvement over not seeing the document.

The current 8.1 Update experience even on the desktop especially with cheaper laptops and desktops is will still be better than XP era devices for many just because 8.1 is a heck of lot more efficient with current hardware.

yeap. Microsoft really hit it out of the ballpark with windows 8.1. Desktop use is nice now, my phone kicks ass, i'm happy all around.

Wow, you seriously don't remember the screenshot? I had a 9-cell battery and a ROM bay battery at the time I took it for you. Also....there's a 12-cell battery available too. So even with your pretty weak 3 hour estimate for a 6 cell battery, you can do the math (6 hours from a 12-cell and 2-ish more from the bay battery) and get a rundown test with moderate usage from your reputable site of 8 hours. Here's a linky to a 12-cell battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Superb-Choice...PMI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397861611&sr=8-3

Which is all besides the point since it totally has no impact on creative thinking at all so I dunno what you're even trying to advocate with the ranting about buying a computer/tablet/soggy puppy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally got a new system this week going from an E2180 to i7 4770, should be nice but the E2180 system will now be used as my HTPC why? Because it does nearly everything I need it to. Also has a SSD which made a huge difference in how it ran. People just do not need new systems I still gamed on the system also just not on max settings for newer games but I can live with that.

Then post some numbers from a 3rd party review or explain how you'd get numbers multiple times better than a professional review at the time the device was new.

Oh yeah, by the way, the quote below is from this article:

http://news.cnet.com/Thin-Micron-notebook-unveiled/2100-1001_3-209849.html

The new notebooks also include a 2.1GB hard drive, a 12.1-inch display, and a CD-ROM and can run 11 hours when a separate battery is attached to the notebook, compared to a typical life of three to five hours. With the extra battery, the notebook will weigh about 6.75 pounds.

That was in 1998 so I don't see why anyone would be impressed with a Windows tablet now getting like 8 hours of life off a battery in 2014 and it's even more silly because those are ultra slow Atom CPUs that are a lot less fast than mainstream processors available now. Back in 1998, that Micron was a mainstream system that wasn't an ultra low power anything.

Wow, you seriously don't remember the screenshot? I had a 9-cell battery and a ROM bay battery at the time I took it for you. Also....there's a 12-cell battery available too. So even with your pretty weak 3 hour estimate for a 6 cell battery, you can do the math (6 hours from a 12-cell and 2-ish more from the bay battery) and get a rundown test with moderate usage from your reputable site of 8 hours. Here's a linky to a 12-cell battery.

First of all, the battery numbers for the D620 that I pointed out were not mine so don't act like it was me providing the data. It you have an issue with it, contact the author of that review.

Strapping a big battery on a device. Northing new or couldn't be achieved by anything these days. There's a 19 cell battery for my x220t which with a 6 cell battery would run for 24 hours: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...66C416083597E397599C2A4&tab=1&redir=y#Reviews

Which is all besides the point since it totally has no impact on creative thinking at all so I dunno what you're even trying to advocate with the ranting about buying a computer/tablet/soggy puppy.

For the third time I wasn't saying anything about creativity. However you completely disregard device weight. And I over and over spoke of battery life to weight ratios.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First of all, the battery numbers for the D620 that I pointed out were not mine so don't act like it was me providing the data. It you have an issue with it, contact the author of that review.

I'm just surprised you'd "forget" the last time we talked about that.

For the third time I wasn't saying anything about creativity.

Why are you posting in this thread again? Did you miss the topic line thing and not read the article?

I'm just surprised you'd "forget" the last time we talked about that.

Not that I forgot about it, but you battery life numbers are at the top of the spectrum, in a very bulky device and you talk about bad tablet performance, Where are the performance numbers for a D620 vs. say a Dell Venue 8 Pro?

Why are you posting in this thread again? Did you miss the topic line thing and not read the article?

I can't remember all the details for a long ago different thread and you can't remember two posts ago in this one. The only thing I said outside of your nonsense is that there are a lot of people with old and crappy PCs that would much happier with a new one.

the Core i7 lets him dance around topics more creatively, duh!

If Creepy was talking about how wonderful an 8 year old 6 pound XP era laptop was compared to an iPad Air your tune would be completely different.

The only thing I said outside of your nonsense is that there are a lot of people with old and crappy PCs that would much happier with a new one.

Which still has nothing to do with this creativity being stifled or not by owning an old computer.

the Core i7 lets him dance around topics more creatively, duh!

Yup, he's dragging in iPads to attack you, apparently.

If Creepy was talking about how wonderful an 8 year old 6 pound XP era laptop was compared to an iPad Air your tune would be completely different.

:eek:

nah, I'd lololol right along. but, for real, it has a physical keyboard. physical. keyboard.

I haven't upgraded my comp in a while as well. I used to do it to the tune of the gaming industry (mid 2000s felt pretty glorious). Ever since consoles became the standard, I've always felt like PC gaming got held back. You do get your occasional companies that find a way to push your PC to the limits but my PC hasn't really felt "slow" in the past 3-4 years. So I keep using it.
I think the greatest upgrade that made me think "what a leap" was getting an SSD.

Which still has nothing to do with this creativity being stifled or not by owning an old computer.

Yup, he's dragging in iPads to attack you, apparently.

And Skribble with the TKO..Heatless goes down in the 12th round:p....

Well trolled my friend, well trolled..It's about time you returned to your true form.;)

So basically we should just buy a shitty 7" tablet, toss our workstations out, and trust the cloud for everything from here on out?

Uh yeah.

NE-VER gonna happen.

This stuff sticks around, not because people are "stifling their creativity", whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. It's sticking around BECAUSE IT WORKS.

Sure, people like new-shiny. But new-shiny only lasts so long. And after a while, people gain a greater appreciation of "just works", "does what you need it to do" and "doesn't break".

Just because people went through hell getting stable installs on any given platform doesn't mean they should be running out to repeat the performance over and over again every 18-24 months.

Funny thing... I still have an XP laptop from 2002 (iirc) that I occasionally use for programming phones for people because MODERN ONES HAVE NO DRIVERS!

But, just to play devils advocate, there *IS* some logic to this on the Phone/Tablet end - I recently picked up an EVO 4G for use with FreedomPop Wireless (crappy voice service, but text and data work great for the price) and I've run into app after app that wont work on it. Not only that, but the apps no longer fit in the internal storage and those that will run take forever to start and are often very slow. Also, a few years ago I had to sell my iPod Touch 1st Gen because all my apps were no longer supported (and again speed).

So, yes, there is a certain point where one has to upgrade, especially when a device-type has a massive hardware upgrade (like phones/tablets going multicore) But that's a small margin.

As for the higher-end systems... yeah... my desktop is several years old but matches the benchmarks on a lot of newer systems. I do agree, again, that there is a point where you *have* to upgrade - I was spending hours and hours rendering on my old desktop (Dual-core 1.8ghz with 4gb ram) and now my "new" system renders in minutes... --- but that's not Joe Average. Joe needs to check his email, write a letter to his mom, play some facebook games, watch youtube and... well that's about it.

HOWEVER

There is a legit reason to upgrade more often - security. That XP laptop I mentioned earlier? No way in hell I'd ever connect it to the internet, it cant even run modern virus programs and there have been no security patches in years. I cant exactly upgrade it to modern software either because of it's specs, it's literally become a one-trick-pony.

Intel, if your reading this, you really need to spin your marketing in a different direction...

I actually swapped from a 2012 spec 8GB quad core PC to a 2008 spec one for work just before Xmas and could not be happier.

Now running a dual 3GHz quad core Xeon workstation with 16GB of ECC ram. Fitted it out with 2x1TB SSHDs, USB 3.0, HD6450 and eSATA.

A Dell T5400 Precision. Built like a tank and burns through anything I need it to do. WPrimes in 7.5 seconds so not to be sniffed at.

Especially when it only cost me $130 to pick up. Bargains!

:eek:

nah, I'd lololol right along. but, for real, it has a physical keyboard. physical. keyboard.

And if every iPad user wanted to carry around a 6 lbs. laptop with a physical keyboard, Apple probably wouldn't have sold too many iPads. I could add a slice battery to my x220t add get around 18 hours of battery life. But the thing would be 7 lbs. and 3" thick. If I need to keyboard then sure but if I wanted basic on the go computing I'd take one of my 13 ounce 1/3" thick Windows 8 tablets.

Its not our fault that 7 lbs seems heavy to you. I mean seriously, I know we're all kinda nerdy here, but living a sedentary life at nearly 50 years old isn't healthy at all. There are some really good fitness apps you can get for your iPod that can help you stay active and take off weight so the additional 6 pounds doesn't feel so crushing.

Its not our fault that 7 lbs seems heavy to you. I mean seriously, I know we're all kinda nerdy here, but living a sedentary life at nearly 50 years old isn't healthy at all. There are some really good fitness apps you can get for your iPod that can help you stay active and take off weight so the additional 6 pounds doesn't feel so crushing.

LOL! Amazing how you try to weave in a personal attack into the plain and simple reality of the mobile device market. People are buying tablets by the hundreds of millions and if they were looking for 7 lbs. laptops with keyboards they obviously wouldn't be buying tablets. My work laptop is as nearly 12 lbs. EliteBook which I carry every day, along with some mix of personal devices, a second laptop or tablet. These days I carry two 8" Windows 8 tablets along with the EliteBook. I don't do any personal surfing on the EliteBook and use the tablets for notes with a pen. Physical fitness has nothing to do with the fact that a person can't use a 12 lbs. laptop the same way as a sub 1 lbs. tablet.

Not really sure why you're trying to make this a zero sum thing. I use laptops, tablets and desktops everyday and in conjunction with each other. Thinking of a 7 lbs. laptop with a keyboard as a tablet is no better than thinking of a tablet with no keyboard and small screen as the same thing as a dual screen desktop.

LOL! Amazing how you try to weave in a personal attack into the plain and simple reality of the mobile device market. People are buying tablets by the hundreds of millions and if they were looking for 7 lbs. laptops with keyboards they obviously wouldn't be buying tablets. My work laptop is as nearly 12 lbs. EliteBook which I carry every day, along with some mix of personal devices, a second laptop or tablet. These days I carry two 8" Windows 8 tablets along with the EliteBook. I don't do any personal surfing on the EliteBook and use the tablets for notes with a pen. Physical fitness has nothing to do with the fact that a person can't use a 12 lbs. laptop the same way as a sub 1 lbs. tablet.

Not really sure why you're trying to make this a zero sum thing. I use laptops, tablets and desktops everyday and in conjunction with each other. Thinking of a 7 lbs. laptop with a keyboard as a tablet is no better than thinking of a tablet with no keyboard and small screen as the same thing as a dual screen desktop.

Do you do any creative work? Writing, drawing, photography, painting, scupture, even more modern stuff like 3D artistic rendering?

Though talking about creativity as it relates to the age of a device in a thread about that very thing apparently is mutually exclusive for heatlesssun.

I've covered this, please stop with the nonsense. The point that Intel makes here is that old and slow devices can hamper creativity and productivity. And everyone here has seen an old and slow computer that does just that. I'm not buying the whole marketing spiel here but there's a valid point here. And who is to say that having something like a tablet to go along with a laptop or desktop can't help with creativity or productivity? Do you know how everyone works and thinks? Or are you simply making a overreaching judgment about millions of people you've never met and never will?

And if every iPad user wanted to carry around a 6 lbs. laptop with a physical keyboard, Apple probably wouldn't have sold too many iPads. I could add a slice battery to my x220t add get around 18 hours of battery life. But the thing would be 7 lbs. and 3" thick. If I need to keyboard then sure but if I wanted basic on the go computing I'd take one of my 13 ounce 1/3" thick Windows 8 tablets.
posts like these give me gas. :eek:

that's great you're willing to share your preference while dismissing Creepy's preference and assuming my preference is for a 6 lb. laptop (I also don't own an iPad, surprise! :eek:) we could just spend that same time feeling happy and pat each other on the butt and say "hey that's awesome you get your work done in your own way."

I've covered this, please stop with the nonsense. The point that Intel makes here is that old and slow devices can hamper creativity and productivity. And everyone here has seen an old and slow computer that does just that. I'm not buying the whole marketing spiel here but there's a valid point here. And who is to say that having something like a tablet to go along with a laptop or desktop can't help with creativity or productivity? Do you know how everyone works and thinks? Or are you simply making a overreaching judgment about millions of people you've never met and never will?

You don't partake in the creative process. You're a bank employee who has a fascination with touchscreen devices running Windows operating systems and your best arguments usually relate to Office. You're not creative and don't understand how creative thinking is totally independent of electronic gadgets or how much they weigh, how long they can be working from a battery, or how much heat they generate.

You're posting in this thread to gain audience approval for the things you decided to purchase (proabably to stave off buyer's remorse or regret) but this forum isn't here to help a guy in his late 40's feel better about what he buys when it has like nothing to do with the thread it's in. Don't use a thread to fill the emptiness in your life when it doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

Do you do any creative work? Writing, drawing, photography, painting, scupture, even more modern stuff like 3D artistic rendering?

I've stated many times what I do for a living. Having adequate hardware to do my job does make things faster, like anyone that spends a lot of time in front of a computer. I went from a Dell Latitude Core 2 Duo physical HD laptop to an HP EliteBook 8560w Core i7-3720QM with SSD at work. How in their right mind would prefer that old Latitude over the EliteBook. Just the fact that I can open a ton of Visual Studio instances without everything grinding to a halt does make me more productive.

Only in this place would someone argue against the obvious.

I've stated many times what I do for a living. Having adequate hardware to do my job does make things faster, like anyone that spends a lot of time in front of a computer. I went from a Dell Latitude Core 2 Duo physical HD laptop to an HP EliteBook 8560w Core i7-3720QM with SSD at work. How in their right mind would prefer that old Latitude over the EliteBook. Just the fact that I can open a ton of Visual Studio instances without everything grinding to a halt does make me more productive.

Only in this place would someone argue against the obvious.

Productivity is not a measure of creativity.

You don't partake in the creative process. You're a bank employee who has a fascination with touchscreen devices running Windows operating systems and your best arguments usually relate to Office. You're not creative and don't understand how creative thinking is totally independent of electronic gadgets or how much they weigh, how long they can be working from a battery, or how much heat they generate.

The bank patented an Excel add-in I created that accelerated a critical business process so much that they were able to layoff most of the staff that had been dedicated for this task. It was never my intent to do that but coming up with more efficient ways to do business is creative function. Not that most of days go like that but any developer that's been in this business long enough has to do a certain amount of creative thinking.

You're posting in this thread to gain audience approval for the things you decided to purchase (proabably to stave off buyer's remorse or regret) but this forum isn't here to help a guy in his late 40's feel better about what he buys when it has like nothing to do with the thread it's in. Don't use a thread to fill the emptiness in your life when it doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

Wow, this is nonsense. Millions of people own desktops, laptops and tablets.

The bank patented an Excel add-in I created that accelerated a critical business process so much that they were able to layoff most of the staff that had been dedicated for this task. It was never my intent to do that but coming up with more efficient ways to do business is creative function. Not that most of days go like that but any developer that's been in this business long enough has to do a certain amount of creative thinking.

Sure...did you design this add-in?

Wow, this is nonsense. Millions of people own desktops, laptops and tablets.

And millions of people don't constantly badger people for their choice to not buy a new computer on this forum.

Productivity was mentioned in the Intel write up if you bothered to read it.

Which still isn't a measure of creativity.

Sure...did you design this add-in?

Yes, the reason I got the job is because I have a lot experience with Office add-ins and such.

And millions of people don't constantly badger people for their choice to not buy a new computer on this forum.

Nonsense, I never did anything of the sort. I said that Intel has a point. There are a lot of old and slow PCs out there and that many people would be much happier with a new device. Just like a lot of people would be much happier with a new car, house, or anything else for that matter. But I'm not telling anyone to go out and by a new machine or anything else. If what one has works for them, fine. But I constantly get people calling me about their old PCs and that they are slow or won't do this or that well. Often an OS refresh will solve the problem. But that won't take care of a worn out battery, cracked screen, USB 1.1 ports or no HDMI output.

Which still isn't a measure of creativity.

You keep focusing on just one word when the point Intel was making was about more than this and the first post I made was that I didn't buy all of the Intel marketing speak.

Yes, the reason I got the job is because I have a lot experience with Office add-ins and such.

Well, despite what you claim as creative, using a bunch of known code to get a computer to do something isn't that creative. That's just using an existing structure designed by someone who actually was creative.

Nonsense, I never did anything of the sort. I said that Intel has a point. There are a lot of old and slow PCs out there and that many people would be much happier with a new device. Just like a lot of people would be much happier with a new car, house, or anything else for that matter. But I'm not telling anyone to go out and by a new machine or anything else. If what one has works for them, fine. But I constantly get people calling me about their old PCs and that they are slow or won't do this or that well. Often an OS refresh will solve the problem. But that won't take care of a worn out battery, cracked screen, USB 1.1 ports or no HDMI output.

So everyone has to buy a new computer becasue they don't have an HDMI output...got it.

You keep focusing on just one word when the point Intel was making was about more than this and the first post I made was that I didn't buy all of the Intel marketing speak.

Yes, but this isn't a heatlesssun hardware specs thread. There are other parts of the forum where you can do the show and tell thingey with the stuff you buy. And you still can't prove, no matter how much dancing around the thread topic, that there's any loss of human creativity because they own a 25 Mhz 386 DX desktop instead of an Atom or i3 or some other 300 megajoules per turtlebyte tablet.

LOL! You were the one that kept bringing me up personally. What the does my age or job have to with this thread? You bought all of that up for no reason. Again, all I was saying is that Intel has a point. There are a lot of old and slow PCs out there and probably most in this thread have seen plenty of examples of this kind of hardware. Creativity and productivity aside, there are a lot people that would simply be much happier with some new computing hardware.

Take your own advice leave specific individuals out of it.

Translation: Ignoring the point of the thread, let's talk about how much I, heatlesssun, wants everyone else to be like me and buy new gadgets.

LOL! People are buying new devices by the truck load everyday. And you and I have nothing to do with it.

Back