America’s Most Damaged Brands

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Apple, Groupon and Best Buy are three of America’s most damaged brands right now.

How mighty brands fall. Bad leadership, bad planning, a run of bad products: any of these can damage a brand in a short amount of time, and it can take years to recover: if, indeed, the brand recovers at all. What brands are the most battered in the United States right now?

America's most damaged brands are common sense, masculinity, worth ethic, and the constitution.

Apple? Other than stock, I wouldn't have thought so.

EA would be up there, though. They seem to want to destroy the gaming industry singlehandedly.

The others, I can see..

Apple was already starting to be outmatched when the Galaxy S showed up, been a steady downhill from there, but besides processing power and a screen size being changed, not much is happening with anyone to be honest.

Thought the routine millage service on the Hyundai's would have been a big enough turn off, once my dad got to 50K in his Sonata, he ditched it for a second hand Lexus IS 200 because it's cheaper to maintain.

Yeah... I'm going to call BS on Apple being anywhere near those others companies. Yes, the Apple maps stuff was a rough start (and still isn't as good as google maps, and may never will be, although all that really matters from that situation was the short period of time that google didn't have that separate app released...once it did things kind of settled down).

As for the Samsung Galaxy giving the iPhone a run for it's money...really? That's why Apple is on this list? I think that's kind of lame. Apple as a company seems to be doing fine (especially given the news of their crazy spaceship campus expansion, among other major land grabs for server expansion), and while admittedly the iPhone 5 was not a wowzers innovation, I read a very good article (linked via here actually I think) talking about how the cell phone market in general is running out of places to go in regards to ground breaking crazy stuff, and is plateauing in the innovation department, and will very soon be more "improvement" focused over ground breaking new features focused. I think the galaxy is good because it's a standout among Android phones, and in many ways is better than the iPhone (just as how many feel about the Android platform in general, that's why it IS competitive with the iPhone, pros and cons), but THAT also I don't feel really is hardly a good enough reason to put Apple in the company of these other companies.

Their Macbooks, for instance, are among the best made laptops out there. Even as a PC user I still prefer to use an Apple laptop (after many horrid PC laptop experiences), and between that and their continued innovation in the display sector with Retina and them integrating it into all their devices, I fail to see the problem.

It's true, Apple is facing some stiff competition in the cell phone market (but despite that the iPhone 5 is STILL a consensus excellent phone, built upon the solid success of the previous ones and and improved in many ways obviously), but otherwise I fail to see how it's brand has been so horribly tarnished. Most if not all of the companies on that list have FAR WORSE problems to deal with, the descriptions alone easily indicate that.

Anyway, I know people on here take pot shots at Apple any chance they can get, heck I'm one of them, but I just thought tossing them up on there was kind of a lazy movie that they could hardly justify.

Also sad to hear about Boeing, I had been wondering what happened with those 787's. Despite taking forever to produce, I figured they'd be in the air by now given how long ago it was that I was jumping up and down excited that the world would finally be getting better updated planes (even if it was only for significant and expensively far travel that I wouldn't likely do very often).

But yeah, nothing disappoints me more than the Airline industry in general, and particularly the American airline industry, continuing to suck itself into oblivion. I would kill for lawmakers to allow international airlines to compete more on the domestic front, because it's about time some of these horribly run organizations (and I'm even including TSA and the airports themselves here) got taken down a peg or two and get out of the stone age.

Granted that has more to do with Airlines and other stuff than plane makers, but I am sick and tired of flying on 20-30 year old jets, and if Boeing can't even get their super jet made right, then I say they deserve the anguish. Let Airbus show them how it's done (assuming Airbus's super jet thing that I vaguely reading about is doing any better).

As for the Samsung Galaxy giving the iPhone a run for it's money...really? That's why Apple is on this list?

I thought that reason was silly too. Second place makes you a damaged brand? I guess that means all of the other manufacturers are fucked. Bye bye Nokia, Motorola, Blackberry, Sony, and many other brands. Since Apple is damaged, the rest of you guys are annihilated.

NOT.

Apple's just fine. Everyone wants to try something new. Despite popular belief, not everybody's afraid of change. Samsung is having their moment under the limelight right now, but it's not going to last. If Blackberry had gotten their shit together last month with the release of their Blackberry 10, Samsung's Galaxy line would have dipped in popularity because of Blackberry's once-almighty reign in the business sector. Who knows? The market is a fickle place.

Apple's strong enough to be able to kick Samsung to the curb anytime they want. Can you image their going back to first place if they do something as simple as allowing iOS be customizable out of the box? Or open up the App Store to anyone? Shit, Android would be fucked if that happened.

America's most damaged brands are common sense, masculinity, worth ethic, and the constitution.

1334852140-yellcloud.jpg

seriously... im tired of the old ''apple is sinking'' ...

its NOT sinking , people overevaluate the stock thats all!

EA won worst company of the year, but hard to think how it could be damaged further I suppose :(

No oil companies? Come on, they don't exactly make friends very well.

BP and Exxon are always in the news for something.

seriously... im tired of the old ''apple is sinking'' ...

its NOT sinking , people overevaluate the stock thats all!

It's still a $300B+ company with $100B in the bank. It's obviously not going anywhere for a long time. That said, their phone products are on the way out and they need innovation badly.

As much as I like to jump on the Apple hate, this time I can't agree. Apple is as strong as ever in terms of brand. The only reason they might even have lost some of that is due to Android.

Though likely history will repeat. Apple creates Mac, and Microsoft creates Windows for all other PC brands. Apple suddenly vanishes into thin air. This is what I think a lot of companies are expecting to see with iOS. Android is gonna take their place in market dominance completely.

For the moment though, their iOS products and computers are doing very well.

How shitty must it feel to wake up every day knowing that you passed on $6 billion. Sucks to suck, Groupon.

I don't think all of those brands are damaged with consumers though ...

Apple has a problem with stock investors right now but they are still doing well in the overall market of mobile phones and electronics (and since it is pretty much a two company race in smartphones Apple/Samsung they are not in a bad place)

Boeing definitely has problems but most consumers aren't picking their flights based on the airplane model ... they do have image problems with their customers (the Airlines) but again there are only two major suppliers (Boeing/Airbus) so it is not like they are going to suffer permanently

The rest of their choices are all fairly reasonable, if subjective, since they all depend on consumers directly and have destroyed their reputation in competitive markets ... as others have mentioned you could replace Apple and Boeing with companies who do face more direct competition and are suffering (Microsoft, EA, and others) ;)

Lots of companies really suck, it would be better to just assume a company sucks until proven otherwise. Lessee; my current employer: 1. stopped paying into the pension fund without notifying the unions, but of course they made sure the executive staff got their bonuses, including the golden parachute for the departing CEO who also took our leftover paid time off last January 1st (and continued to tell everyone 'it's a glitch inn the system, I'll take care of it'. Right. He took care to get his, and then got the hell out of dodge. 2. Lie to the customers about why the service is bad. They make stuff up so the brass isn't seen as incompetent. 3. gave us faulty tax forms again this year, so we file, then have to re-file when they give us 'corrected' ones. The list goes on. Kickbacks to certain vendors, then they won't send more supplies because the regular payment is late! And the list goes on.

EA would be up there, though. They seem to want to destroy the gaming industry singlehandedly.

The others, I can see..

Yeah this article seems stupid. Apple just posted a great quarterly, Groupon is doing fine as far as I know. Best Buy makes sense, but still.

Apple hit the mobile market hard from the get go with the iphone when it first came out and it's still going because the mobile market is still there (people are still wanting these things). They have a large enough fan-base that will buy anything the come up with (as is the nature of the mind-numbed Apple fan-base). They have huge government contracts and sell on a global scale. So for Apple to have numbers in the $100B range is no real surprise no matter what the company does at this point.

We can talk about innovation, but innovation for Apple faded and died away with Steve Jobs. Now (thanks to Jobs), Apple can ride the waves and not have to worry so much about all kinds of things. Sure, The Galaxy phones are there and are certainly creating serious competition but, it's going to take something majorly serious to knock Apple off it's high horse.

Back