AMD's Magny Cours Architecture revealed

RussianHAXOR

Supreme [H]ardness
ThumbL.aspx

This looks interesting... borderline odd

Following last month's AMD's 6th Opteron anniversary and the related talk about the sexa-core Istanbul coming out next month, a fresh mention of Magny Cours and its gigantic Socket G34 appeared. But hey, AMD did ridicule Intel's dual-die MCM approach for quickie quad core solutions before - what is this now?

Yeah, it is an MCM, and a big one - not as large as those multi-CPU POWER5 and POWER6 blocks, but still larger sized than what Intel had in the LGA775 & 771 sockets for the past few years. It has to provide space for two Istanbul dies, as well as some reserve area just in case the Bulldozer and beyond dies end up requiring a bit more girth.

http://brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/5/14/amds-magny-cours-architecture-revealed.aspx

does that mean all future server chips will be that size? Not sure if that's a good or bad move,

Thats the picture they used for the instanbull 6-core processors, too...and um... since its clearly a drop-in part with no motherboard switch needed... yeah, please do the math.

Yes, my statement should be considered the end of this thread. If its not, I'm very ashamed of whoever posts after me lol

Back