AMD's Failure Rates, Part Two (2015 Edition)

Only ones I have had die on me was a eVGA 8800gts640,and a PNY Ti 4400,as well it's replacement. My only other experience with ATI besides my Furys,was way back with a 9700 bought at launch,that is still running.

I've had my 7950s for ~4 years now. I mined on both of them for roughly 3-4 months. Still working just fine.

We can blame AMD if GPU would be the only component of a video card but it is not. You are going to say so is NVidia but if comparable NVidia costs more because of more expensive NVidia GPU we don't know if all components of both video cards are of same quality and if manufacturing process is the same (I know it should be the same in theory). Sure we can say based on statistics that NVidia video card is more reliable than AMD video card - it is a fact and this is it. However, we cannot blame AMD entirely on this issue.

Analogy:
Company A makes a car and uses Honda engine. Company B makes similar but more expensive car using similar but more expensive engine from Toyota. Failure rate of car made by company A is 4% whereas failure rate of car made by company B is 2%. Therefore I conclude that Toyota engine is better than Honda engine. Do you see how flawed is this whole comparison? This statistics only shows that car made by company B is more reliable.

If car made by company A and B were exact clones (same design, same components, same car price without engine) and only difference was the engine then we could conclude that Toyo engine is better - and even that could be already problematic because both engines might have different characteristics and the car design suits better Toyota engine.

BTW, one video card I had that broke was PNY 9600GSO (artifacts - can blame solder job on this one and not NVidia). The other was abit Radeon 9200 (ATI) - passively cooled. Both cards were around $40 each.

Last edited:
7970 failed once but there were some other factors involved lmao. Other than that only my 6800 vanilla failed when inside an older Pentium based shuttle pc.

Of the 9 NVidia cards I've owned, only the 470 was faulty and I got a replacement from Amazon. Never owned an AMD card, but that might change this fall with the HBM2 cards.

Back