AMDGPU-PRO install on Zorin OS

Zuul

Gawd
I downloaded the ubuntu 16.04 amdgpu-pro driver and extracted.

zuul@zuul-ZorinOS:~$ cd '/home/zuul/Desktop/amdgpu-pro-16.60-379184'
zuul@zuul-ZorinOS:~/Desktop/amdgpu-pro-16.60-379184$ sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y
[sudo] password for zuul:
/etc/os-release: line 3: OS: command not found

zuul@zuul-ZorinOS:~/Desktop/amdgpu-pro-16.60-379184$ nano /etc/os-release

NAME="Zorin OS"
VERSION="12"
ID=Zorin OS
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Zorin OS 12"
VERSION_ID="12"
HOME_URL="http://www.zorinos.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.zorinos.com/help"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/zorin-os/+filebug"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

what's going on? something wrong with the ID=Zorin OS line? does it need to be changed?

thanks

I would be happy to move it but it seems my skills in thread-moving are bad. Really bad. Even worse than my Linux skills.

At the top of the OS forum there is a list of mods. Just PM one with a link to the thread and ask for a move.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Just an idea... Get rid of the space so it looks like ID=ZorinOS . No guarantees.

I was thinking more like, does it need to be changed to "ubuntu" or "ubuntu 16.04" or the like... if the amdgpu-pro-install script is looking for a specific ID before it executes. I'm a bit hesitant to change it all because of I might brake something like I usually do with linux lol

I just downloaded the AMD binary drivers and they're using .deb installers wrapped up as a .tar file. Extract the contents of the tarball, go to the relevant driver and simply double click on it to install just like Windows.

Make sure you've got software such a gdebi installed to run the .deb installer.

I just downloaded the AMD binary drivers and they're using .deb installers wrapped up as a .tar file. Extract the contents of the tarball, go to the relevant driver and simply double click on it to install just like Windows.

Make sure you've got software such a gdebi installed to run the .deb installer.

ok there are 55 files in that folder. I don't even... well I got files installed, some of them refused. Rebooted and....fucked. Flashing screen with text that seemed to indicate somekind of error. Couldn't get it to desktop.
oh well. Installing Ubuntu as I write this on my win10 comp. I'll try AMDGPU-PRO installation again because fuck if this is going to stop me from using linux.

EDIT: Success, went without any issues what so ever.

So remember kids, when installing shit without any knowledge about what you're doing, go for the path of least resistance. Ubuntu ftw.

Last edited:
People using AMD should know that the proprietary AMD driver does not work in new linux versions that use X.org 1.18 or higher. AMD dropped the fglrx driver support and switched to maintain the open source version instead which comes by default in Ubuntu and other current distros.

People using AMD should know that the proprietary AMD driver does not work in new linux versions that use X.org 1.18 or higher. AMD dropped the fglrx driver support and switched to maintain the open source version instead which comes by default in Ubuntu and other current distros.

There you go, as an Nvidia user I didn't know that! Sorry Zuul!

zorin OS 12 is basically Ubuntu 16.04 and comes with the gallium driver. AMDGPU-PRO with vulkanSDK was downloaded directly from AMD.com for 16.04. I knew about fglrx support being droppen.

Back