AMD64 3000+ or Intel P4 2.8C ?

My vote is go for the A64 3200+.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the procs and whatnot that are out and about. Price to performance the A64 really is the way to go.

when 64 bit aps start being tested you will have your 64 bit OS ready to go. Right? Xp has a 64 bit version out and about. Linux has 64 bit. hell even AIX has 64 bit. The Applicationsa and appropriate drivers will be coming down the pipe. <Granted too slowly to go 64 bit right this instant and maintain performance> But the proc runs 32bit like a champ and is SSE and SSE2 capeable. <IF the code doesn't check for an intel proc as one article has pointed out.>

So I think the A64 technilogically speaking is the better processor. Out of the box it is the better performer. Lets try a little positive negative.

A 64 <what I know about.>
1. On board memory controller.
2. 64 bit code and 32 bit code optimised
3. More Technilogically advanced chip.
4. Seems to run games better than Intel Proc's in it's price range.

Lets take a look at the negatives.
1. Evolving technology. <effects ALL computer products.>
2. Apps that check for an intel proc specifically will not run. <this is because of a pice of bs code but still a negative>
3. No HT support <I think this is something that will soon be overcame with a different name but that is just me.>

And that as they say is that. If you plan on compiling and feel you will need the HT support I say go P4. It is all about productivity. If you want to play games and do some productivity on the side and be an early adapter of new tech then go A64.

Will you notice the difference between the A64 and the P4. With multithreaded applications that take advantage of the HT YES. Without that? Probably not. As the A64 is as fast or faster.
 
Ok, with the a64 ----

Chaintech zf3 or the Asus k8v?

I know the zf3 has agp/pci locks for OC'ing, but in general what is the preference?
 
Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts... Especially those with the Maya input. ;)

Both processors are great, but I can only choose one. So, I will be going with the 2.8C because it would obviously make Maya happier than if I went with the AMD64... :p
 
Back
Top