AMD XP HSF choices

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I know Thermaltakes repuation isnt to great but I was considering on getting this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

Fact being since it's not to loud yet it is still effective. Also cus of some very good review scores/feedbacks I was able to google up. I was orignally gonna go with a lapped thermalright si-97 that a fellow forum member had up for sale. Reconsidered since i was told by a few friends that it can turn into a inroom airport if i was to put a 4800 RPM fan on it to gain maximum airflow. So that pretty much leaves me withthe thermaltake. This will be used on an XP 3000+ for the moment on a Abit NF7-s v2.0. So my question is, is this my only choice? or is there another cooling solution that can be just as efective without having to deal with to much noise issues. Water cooling out the question though. Don't wanna take my chances with that.

-DarkLegacy

I'm just throwing this as an idea, not the best solution. I have a Spire Whisper Rock IV sold on Tigerdirect.com or .ca as a "Cables Unlimited'. Why they sell it with a different name, I have no idea.

Anyway, it keeps my Duron 1.8 GHz around 38'C to 51'C depending on room temperature. I know those could be lower, but that's with the thermal pad that came with it. I think it might be lower with Arctic Silver 5 or something like that.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674108&CatId=0

It's also silent and supposedly UV reactive. I don't even know where to get a UV light or how to install one.

A note about that 51'C. That was a very warm, humid day. But I just read a review of my motherboard that surprised me. They say the CPU fan on the Asus A7V600-X doesn't really adjust according to temperature. I mean, it can, however, it only does so when you reboot. In other words, it the RPM stays the same even when it's too hot unless you reboot. Forturnately, I have one of those Enermax cases that allows you to see the case temperature and I can adjust the speed of the case fans. When it was at 38'C, my case was 29'C. And at 51'C, I think my case was at 36'C (you see the affect the weather had).

Thermaltake solutions have gotten better: The SilentBoost series is certainly better (quieter) than the Volcano with the ribbed deflector housing on the fan body. I'm surprised they haven't incorporated that into the 120mm size....but TT fans regardless have never been known for quietude. On my last NF7-S/2600-M setup I used a Zalman 7000 series. Very quiet design and adequately cooled the cpu with a mild overclock (2.2ghz). A slight drawback to this though as the Zalman socketA monting bracket interferes slightly with capacitors next to the socket and needs to be modified slightly. However, the prices have come down on these and may interest you to save money over the choice in your link. If this is a stock locked 3000+ you aren't going to be generating a ton of heat from overclocks anyway, and you have lots of choices in all copper for less money.

coolermaster hyper 6 and two quiet panaflo's...... only if your comfortable with the weight...well the TT typhoon is just as big.... lol...

anyways.. svc.com has the hyper 6 for 25 bucks buy two quiet 80mm fan and it is pretty much unstoppable.... I know I have one with 2 thermaltake amsrtfans ( 75cfm each) and it rules.. although I didnt get to use it very long... ( agp alot died) I know it rocks hehe...

my friend has the exact same setup. his cpu cooling solution: Vantec AeroFlow with 2 adapters to get it to a 120mm size, and then he added a 120mm Panaflo. since the adapters put him close to the edge of his case, he just cut out a hole for a direct air feed. interesting setup, but works great. the AeroFlow alone does wonders by itself, if u don't want to get all crazy ;)

Stay away from Thermaltake, you know that. ;)

The Big Typhoon is pretty much a copy of the Thermalright SI-97 series, with significantly more weight and more marketing (that 120mm cannot put out 17dBA by itself). The Vantec Aeroflows mentioned earlier are good choices for Socket A.

Back