Amd XP 3200+ temp

polydiol

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys

I'm running an amd xp 3200+ on an abit mobo and my normal temp based on what mbm 5 says is around 51c just surfing and when I run prime 95 it goes up to 61c and prime reports errors after 2 hours 30 mins. I'm not overclocking anything and everything is at stock speeds, I have a Chieftec Dragon case with two 80mm exhause fans and 3 80mm intake fans and the case temp is ~32c.

I'm using the retain heatsink/fan that came with the Amd cpu, is this a normal operating temp?

yes those temps seem reasonable.

However, which thermal paste did you use or are you using the stock thermal pad.

Switching to a good aftermarket heatsink can easily drop your temps by over 10C especially with some good thermal compound such as artic silver 5

This is not overclocked and running at stock speed as for thermal compound, I used what was already on the stock heatsink.

Yeah those thermal pads are pretty bad for thermal transfer from the chip to the heatsink. You will see about a 2-5C drop from going from it to a nice thermal paste such as artic silver 5

and as always, case flow ventilation, wiring job, amount of components(i.e. - hard drives) plays an overall role in heat generation which effects cpu heat as well.

a tidy case is a happy case. :D

Back