AMD XP 2500 vs Athlon 64 3000+ & 3200!

mi1stormilst

[H]ard|Gawd
I did a few minutes worth of research tonight trying to justify an upgrade to an Athlon 64 platform. Here are my initial findings:

Benchmarks obtained from the www.techreport.com following two articles:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/abit-an7/index.x?pg=1

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/athlon64-3800/index.x?pg=1

Basically I compared how a average overclock on an Athlon XP 2500 does against the Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+

Both articles use the same video cards with the same drivers (ATI 9800 256MB / Catalyst 4.1)

NOW THE MEAT!

Compare.JPG

Considering the huge cost difference between what I have and what I want for what I need the point seems moot. Some of you my look at the small set of benchmarks and say WOW what a difference and come to the opposite conclusion. I would like to see others run benchmarks and list specs on their systems with overclocked 2500's and Athlon 64 systems. I am gonna run a few tonight myself. I would say for the sake of comparisons lets try to limit this to people with ATI 9800's running at or close to 9800 Pro specs. All benchmarks are welcome including video editing.

Just for starters I ran Aquamark3 with the latest ATI drivers set to default settings and my 9800 Pro left at stock speeds. My AMD 2500 Mobile is running at 2400mhz with a 200mhz fsb.

SCORE: 39,443
CPU: 7,155
GFX: 5,445

how about redo-ing those numbers with typical a64 overclocks included. I'm just curious. :)

bump cuz i wanna know too :cool:

i don't think it's worth it for me to get rid of my 2500MHz barton just yet

Nexx said:
how about redo-ing those numbers with typical a64 overclocks included. I'm just curious. :)

All kinds of things we can do to side track the original purpose of the thread but I would like to keep it on topic.

AMD T-type said:
bump cuz i wanna know too :cool:

i don't think it's worth it for me to get rid of my 2500MHz barton just yet

Well you have a OC'd 2400 and thats close enough + a 9800 pro practically why don't you run some benchies too (-:

the value in buying a A64 3000 is not in what you get now, but the potential to upgrade to a 3700 when they get cheap about a year from now.

why dont you ask yourself whether or not you are happy with what you have now. if it runs everything that you play at levels that you enjoy then wait to upgrade. the nice thing about socket 754 though is that the mobos are all basically the same so you can buy a cheap mobo and it will perform the same as an expensive one. the only difference is features - making upgrading a much smaller investment than normal.

Jerry1978 said:
the value in buying a A64 3000 is not in what you get now, but the potential to upgrade to a 3700 when they get cheap about a year from now.

i agree if you want an upgrade path later, but if you want something cheap and fast now, then go for the 2500+, its a great proc

Back