AMD X6's worth it ? (over X4)

cerwinvega

Limp Gawd
As the title asks, are the Thubans worth the investment over an X4 965 and X4 920 ?

For everything else I do, games, etc., the answer has so far been a resounding NO, but are they good folders ?

I know they are no match for the intels, but I was hoping some of you might have some experience with them to share.

0.png

yes....especially if you overclock. At 4.0 GHz they pull 10k on 6701's, and on average usually 12-15k, with variation inbetween.....so yes they are.....they keep close pace with i7's in regular SMP folding......numberwise they are physically capable of doing bigadv, though it is suggested not to by PG.....if you have the extra cash yes its worth it......the board you have in your rig should be able to clock it that high, though the 785 board in your HTPC can definatly get it dam close to that

hell yes its a good investment over the x4 965.. especially when it comes to folding and a lot of games.. if you play BFBC2 you will see a huge difference in performance.. and like feather said if you overclock it to around 4ghz it will perform exactly the same as any x4 would in games..

1. you gain 2 extra cores
2. you gain higher overclocks
3. you can actually overclock the NB to 3ghz which gives a significant boost in memory performance compared to the x4's on DDR3..
4. you get lower temps with the same overclocks
5. uses less voltage to hit the same and higher overclocks than an x4.

Ill agree its worth it if you get the 1055T. but only if your gonna use a motherboard you already own. if your buying a board to then no. as a 1156 setup cost the same and is faster. if you call a close race with a i7 having 75% the power then ok.

If all you have to upgrade is the mobo, X6 all the way.

But if you building a new system, an intel 1156 is a better option.

If you use a MB on hand then the X6 is a no brainer. If not then 1366 Intel.

The price diff just isn't that great anymore between 1156 and 1366. The only real diff is RAM cost now. Also, 1366 gives you hex core capability and you won't get that with 1156.

Buy a nice i7 920/930 from the FS/FT forum or Microcenter and an open box 1366 MB from Newegg. Great bang for the buck!!!!

Well, if I do it, it will either be the 1075 or 1090 dropping into my 770 board for starters, as I already have an MST-88 mosfet cooler installed on that board, and in the stacker it is by far the coolest running rig in the house.

If results are satisfactory, I'll replace both of the other quads as well, as both ASUS boards are X6 approved.

Overclocking is not off the table, I just really have very little time for tweaking and stability testing anymore, so it's quite unlikely I'll even bother.

I have local buyers lined up for the 965 and the 920, the 9950....eh...well I'll find something to do with it, I have an uneven table I could use it to steady.

Thanks for the info, I'll update the thread if it comes together.

There are a few people running X6's

I'm not sure the FSB setting but they should be able to tell you a block of setting that should work, "set it and forget it" if you will.

They already did the hard work. Will it be the max OC the system can do... no, but it will get you probably ~50% more ppd.

Well, if I do it, it will either be the 1075 or 1090 dropping into my 770 board for starters, as I already have an MST-88 mosfet cooler installed on that board, and in the stacker it is by far the coolest running rig in the house.

If results are satisfactory, I'll replace both of the other quads as well, as both ASUS boards are X6 approved.

Overclocking is not off the table, I just really have very little time for tweaking and stability testing anymore, so it's quite unlikely I'll even bother.

I have local buyers lined up for the 965 and the 920, the 9950....eh...well I'll find something to do with it, I have an uneven table I could use it to steady.

Thanks for the info, I'll update the thread if it comes together.

if that board supports the 1090T grab that.. easy as hell to overclock since it has the unlocked multiplier.. all you have to mess with is the cpu multiplier, cpu voltage.. and depending on that board and its bios options it should have a separate multiplier for the NB so you can run it at 3ghz.. that NB at 3ghz makes a night and day different in folding performance..

Okay,,, this thread is making want to put the MSI 790FX-GD70 back into service with a 1090T.

Anyone volunteer to do some BIOS hand holding through the OC pain? ;) Low end AMD's have not been my thing, so far.

Another reason for more H70 I guess.

[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036302408 said:
Okay,,, this thread is making want to put the MSI 790FX-GD70 back into service with a 1090T.

Anyone volunteer to do some BIOS hand holding through the OC pain? ;) Low end AMD's have not been my thing so far.

Another reason for more H70's I guess.

lol its pretty easy to overclock a 1090T.. like i showed in my post since its a black edition processor the multiplier is unlocked.. thus the only important settings are the cpu multiplier and the cpu voltage. that board should have the independent NB multiplier if i remember correctly.. with an H70 you should be good for 4.1-4.3ghz.. maybe higher but all depends on the temps and voltage needed to hit that overclock..

if ya need help ill be glad to give it.. ccityinstaller has an x6 running at 4.1ghz.. so he should be able to help ya out as well..

[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036302408 said:

Anyone volunteer to do some BIOS hand holding through the OC pain? ;) Low end AMD's have not been my thing, so far.

Another reason for more H70 I guess.

actually i have all the settings that should make a 1090T OC to 4.0 on a 790 FX board ;) Just pop into IRC one day and me and CCity can give you a hand..

edit: monkey, i dont think the problem is going to be temp, hell my H50 pushes 4.0 with temps never exceeding 49c, in an 85-88f ambient......its more howmuch volts you want to give the chip, and what the voltage drop is on your board (the Crosshair III is pretty bad at that, set for 1.537 get 1.49)

This thread has me seriously thinking about a 1090T now. Prices have been pretty decent here lately too. Guess I could swap out my X4 945 which I haven't had much luck OCing (but I haven't tried very hard - stability important on this rig) and find another home for it. Was thinking of building a new headless boxen for the [H]orde anyways. I already have case, 700W PS, optic drives and several used HDD available. Just need RAM and a new mobo, something with 2 PCI-E slots for GPU's too and 1 PCI slot for the wireless N card I also just bought. I'd take a more serious stab at OCing the X4 945 too if it's only in a folding boxen with no worry of downtime. Which mobos should be shortlisted?

This thread has me seriously thinking about a 1090T now. Prices have been pretty decent here lately too. Guess I could swap out my X4 945 which I haven't had much luck OCing (but I haven't tried very hard - stability important on this rig) and find another home for it. Was thinking of building a new headless boxen for the [H]orde anyways. I already have case, 700W PS, optic drives and several used HDD available. Just need RAM and a new mobo, something with 2 PCI-E slots for GPU's too and 1 PCI slot for the wireless N card I also just bought. I'd take a more serious stab at OCing the X4 945 too if it's only in a folding boxen with no worry of downtime. Which mobos should be shortlisted?

just grab a 785G motherboard for the 945.. can find them for around 50-60 dollars.. has the onboard video.. makes life easy..

Was thinking of building a new headless boxen for the [H]orde anyways. I already have case, 700W PS, optic drives and several used HDD available. Just need RAM and a new mobo, something with 2 PCI-E slots for GPU's too and 1 PCI slot for the wireless N card I also just bought.

The 1090T for $260 is just a waste of money since you can get a Xeon 3440 for $230: It only makes sense if you already have the motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117225&cm_re=xeon-_-19-117-225-_-Product

The 1090T for $260 is just a waste of money since you can get a Xeon 3440 for $230: It only makes sense if you already have the motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117225&cm_re=xeon-_-19-117-225-_-Product

you can find the 1090T on sale in the 220-240 range on MC every couple weeks.. newegg is insanely over priced on almost everything AMD.. its why i quit using newegg a long time ago.. hell you could find the 1075T for 180 bucks at fry's not to long ago..

you can find the 1090T on sale in the 220-240 range on MC every couple weeks.. newegg is insanely over priced on almost everything AMD.. its why i quit using newegg a long time ago.. hell you could find the 1075T for 180 bucks at fry's not to long ago..
1) Neweegg is not overpriced; Microcenter and Fry's are selling their CPUs at a loss.
2) The Xeon is well worth the price even if it costs $10 more than the 1090T. The Xeon will complete 2684s handily, the 1090T only hands them in with a day to spare if you go through the trouble of tricking the client to get them in the first place.

ps-just FYI newegg has a 48-hr 10% off all CPUs coupon going at the moment

Back