AMD working on Malta dual-chip card

Final8ty

Gawd
1GHz+ version of HD 7990
It looks like AMD is not done with HD 7000 series Radeons and it will introduce a few new products this year.

We have heard from multiple sources now that AMD is working on a card codenamed Malta. The Malta is a dual-chip card and we are not sure if it is based on Tahiti like HD 7990 cards. The Malta card should have a clock well over 1GHz and should become the fastest offering from AMD. It should also be available to more than a few partners.

This card should come in the next few months but some of our sources do indicate that the card will launch soon. AMD probably wants to see the real world performance of Nvidia’s Geforce Titan and then follow up with its new card.

These GPUs will likely beat the 1050MHz that Asus delivers with its dual-chip water cooled ASUS ARES2-6GD5, 2x Radeon HD 7970 card, but we still don’t know whether it will outpace NV’s Titan.

The launch of the card is expected in the first half of 2013, but we don’t have a better date than that. AMD is adjusting a lot of its launch schedules. We have learned that AMD’s decision to push back the HD 8000 series launch is tactical and not technical in nature. We will try to learn more about it this week.
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30539-amd-working-on-malta-dual-chip-card

Odd, considering their 79XX release. They got a good jump on the next-gen market on that. I doubt it's a business strategy at this point.

Hmmm, I may get this over the Titan/690 for my SFF build.
The ARES numbers are very impressive in surround. 1GHz 7990 for $700-800 and I will buy.

Awesome. I've been waiting for an official successor to the 6990 from AMD.. I honestly thought they forgot about their dual chip series.. If this comes to fruition I'm on it. I'm still rocking my Diamond 6990 @ 920/1375 I bought when they were released.. I have no real reason to replace it yet and it's been one of the best cards I've ever owned but.. MOAR POWER!!!

Competition is a good thing, I can see 3 great things happening from this.

1. Nvidia will lower the price of the Titan
2. AMD will have a dual gpu multi monitor Option to compete with Titan
3. Nvidia will engineer a monstrosity like none other

A dual GPU GK110 Monstrosity <--- a Clash of 2 Titans cards called the Kraken

Release the Kraken!!!

(I'm just being silly btw)

Back