AMD Will Not Sample FX-9590 for [H] Testing

If I was an Amd PR Rep and I had ever so much as glanced threw HardForum's Amd section, I would have most deffiniatly DENIED this site any sort of sample for any product line.
The Intel trolls seem to collect and salivate at chance to make another unnecessarily negative and sometimes berating comment. Just in this thread alone we have seen several posts that whilst so enthusiastically typed, the user appeared to have some sort of orgasm.

You can't very well send samples of components out that aren't available for purchase separately...! What [H] needs to do is find out who the OEMs are that will be putting these systems out and then ask for one of those for testing.

IMO, it won't be long until FX cpus are routinely hitting 5GHz + (My FX-6300 runs on stock air cooling @ 4.515GHz on a very small .01 v hike (from 1.47v to 1.48v--according to MSI's control center software.) This particular 5GHz foray for OEMs only is just a publicity stunt done for PR profile points, imo.

If I was an Amd PR Rep and I had ever so much as glanced threw HardForum's Amd section, I would have most deffiniatly DENIED this site any sort of sample for any product line.
The Intel trolls seem to collect and salivate at chance to make another unnecessarily negative and sometimes berating comment. Just in this thread alone we have seen several posts that whilst so enthusiastically typed, the user appeared to have some sort of orgasm.

You don't need to be an Intel troll to bash AMD. They've been shooting themselves on the foot for years.

AMD still kicking ass and taking names in the cpu department I see!

:(

They're an APU company now. They got rid of most of the server and high end desktop people in Oct. '12. All their pure CPU releases for a while have just been better speed grades as the process got tweaked to get better yields.

I would really like to see some reviews of APU hardware soon. My current computer will suit my needs for a good bit longer but when I build a new computer I will likely use an APU, but it would be nice to see [H] reviews on Mobos and what not. I built my mom a little desktop and I used a trinity A6 and its a great little machine. The only bottle neck IMO is likely the WD Raptor drive. I need to put an SSD in it

first factory 5ghz, performance is nothing to brag about, but I could kind of see the swag factor being worth the price premium for some people.

You don't need to be an Intel troll to bash AMD. They've been shooting themselves on the foot for years.

This is absolutely a matter of opinion. IN MY OPINION amd has made great strides in the integrated and APU market, which by all indications of the market, appears to be absolutely the correct decision. Amd no longer feel that trying to compete with Intel in a dwindling market is viable for their company, and while this angers us very few in the enthusiast market, the owners of the next 3 big consoles are going to benefit heavily, especially ps4 owners. Amd is still very serious about the high end gpu market, because that technology trickles down into their bread and butter products much like racing technology trickles down into production cars. Bulldozer tought amd how to modulize. It served its purpose and now with its new technology amd will now create apus that share resources much like their CPU cores did in bulldozer. Fx-9590 is a farewell wave to the ultra high end enthusiast market.

Yeah you mean with stuff like SSE optimization problems where compiled code forgot to do their job on AMD cpu or the some of the many other things.

Sadly AMD management hasn't been the best, not sure if that has changed for the better.

Let's hope they have a change of heart send [H]ardocp a sample.

You are a shinning example of why amd should not. If anyone should get a sample, it should be TheStilt from the xtremesystems forums

I don't really understand this new chip at all. They deny it's coming out then won't release it to hardly anybody, make it way too expensive and then shun the review sites. I'm definitely a confused AMD fan. The only people that would want one of these would be us AMD fans but we're the ones they're trying to keep it from. I just don't get it.

This is absolutely a matter of opinion. IN MY OPINION amd has made great strides in the integrated and APU market, which by all indications of the market, appears to be absolutely the correct decision. Amd no longer feel that trying to compete with Intel in a dwindling market is viable for their company, and while this angers us very few in the enthusiast market, the owners of the next 3 big consoles are going to benefit heavily, especially ps4 owners. Amd is still very serious about the high end gpu market, because that technology trickles down into their bread and butter products much like racing technology trickles down into production cars. Bulldozer tought amd how to modulize. It served its purpose and now with its new technology amd will now create apus that share resources much like their CPU cores did in bulldozer. Fx-9590 is a farewell wave to the ultra high end enthusiast market.

Its great that AMD is driving the next gen consoles, hopefully it will help them do more R&D and finally become competitive in more markets.

I don't really understand this new chip at all. They deny it's coming out then won't release it to hardly anybody, make it way too expensive and then shun the review sites. I'm definitely a confused AMD fan. The only people that would want one of these would be us AMD fans but we're the ones they're trying to keep it from. I just don't get it.

Basically this chip is not for everyone, limited quantity and so on. This is a product which requires a very good cooling setup they tell you to get water cooling solution. That is the reason why they tell you to get it from a system integrator

In a way there is no "chip" to test.

The focus for this product lies with people not reading the review but those that want to overclock it even further without buying and trying several FX-8350.

People who have pursuit this already know they are buying a chip which will allow them get maybe 5 to 10 percent further then what it is capable of.

Since the release of BD, yes they have been. People are still bitter about all the broken promises that BD was supposed to deliver and the high price points that were assigned when it was released. Hence the harshness in a lot of posts made all the way up to and including today. Check back in the Intel subforum starting in May 2005 and you'll see a lot in "AMD troll posts".

My 3770K is my first intel processor since a dual PIII-1000 Coppermine setup running alongside a K6-2 450. I loved AMD for their value to performance, all the way up to my X2-6400+ BE setup I ran prior to my current IB system. But right now, the value and performance from AMD is just not there for me. For others, sure, and that's fine. get what you want with your own money just as long as you know exactly what you are getting into.

Realistically, FX processors are perfectly suited for doing anything that a typical power user or PC gamer could throw at a system right now. My problems with the FX are the higher power draw and heat output plus the lower IPC which means it's more expensive to operate, hotter running, and good probablility of less longevity than almost any i5 or i7 available since SB, respectively.

And now AMD has released this Centurion 5 GHz part that is only performing as well as an i7-3770K/4770K at 1.5 GHz LESS. On top of that, they released it to the OEM supply segment only. Me = A long-time AMD supporter with a fresh dose of bitterness towards AMD.

I just hope AMD can soon come up with a 4+ GHz FX based desktop processor with an incredibly stout IGP all on a smaller fab process that draws significantly less power than what they've given us so far. Doing that would make me actually want to buy an AMD processor.

/rant

Last edited:
What's interesting to me is, most users will whole heartedly admit that an amd processor is more than sufficient in performing the tasks even a power user would require of it, much like the post above this one, and in the next breath speak of their intel processor, and finish up with a desire for amd to increase r&d to become competetive again.

Have you thought about purchasing their product in order to support their r&d department so that they might become competetive again? It doesn't take an economist to realize that for a company to drive r&d they need cash flow. Amd is turning its back on the enthusiast market because we choose to turn our back on Amd every time we purchase another 3770k while we understand that the alternative amd product is more than what we need.

this pretty much sums it up unless amd does a price drop its nuts to even think about it

"It proves very difficult to score the AMD FX9590 as it is a seriously niche product. The price alone drops the overall score several points. If AMD brought it out around the £300 mark then it would have made a lot more sense, but at £700 there is no possibility for a recommendation. If you are a wealthy AMD overclocker then you are likely to have one already on pre-order, but everyone else will be longing for an affordable processor from AMD which can challenge the £260 Intel Core i7 4770k."

What's interesting to me is, most users will whole heartedly admit that an amd processor is more than sufficient in performing the tasks even a power user would require of it, much like the post above this one, and in the next breath speak of their intel processor, and finish up with a desire for amd to increase r&d to become competetive again.

Have you thought about purchasing their product in order to support their r&d department so that they might become competetive again? It doesn't take an economist to realize that for a company to drive r&d they need cash flow. Amd is turning its back on the enthusiast market because we choose to turn our back on Amd every time we purchase another 3770k while we understand that the alternative amd product is more than what we need.

I would have purchased a BD, as I held off my upgrade even as SB was in full swing. Coming from an X2 6400+, I go very long times between upgrades. My goal with my last upgrade has some very specific criteria: high performance for longevity, decent value, and low power/heat. The power and heat thing was a big one for me since my 6400+ was a bit of a hot head that noticeably increased the temperature of my home office.

BD came and all the promises were broken. I felt as I had been lied to after all that time waiting for it to finally be released. Now why the hell would I purchase one after that kind of deception, lack of comcomparative performance, and a higher price than an i7K at the time?

Sounds to me like AMD is scared of the mighty [H]. Perhaps they have good reason to be. Perhaps their product isn't up to the challenge, and they're afraid of getting an honest review of it. Look at it from our perspective, AMD. If you're afraid of the [H] reviewing your chip, then we have reason to be afraid of parting with our money for one. I for one won't buy anything without having some idea how well it's going to perform ahead of time.

I have to stay on AMDs side on this one. why risk reviews that most probably conclude its an overpriced, hot, inefficient, and gets owned by a sandy bridge part.

But hey if you can get in their media list, you can get plenty pretty slides with in-house benchs that show it completely pwns Haswell.

I mean, its freakin 5GHZ!!!!

I see their reasoning too, unfortunately :( I bought AMD chips all the way until 2008, to replace my Opteron 175, which was the most expensive PC component I ever bought @ $520...when I made $90k/yr and didn't care much. Bought a Q6600 to overclock and still am running it to this day (won the Asus Z87 Pro board on the forums here, but waiting until a processor stepping revision to upgrade). I still pull for AMD to have something worth buying for what I would use it for, which would be gaming and SolidWorks, but I have been disappointed for several years...with no end in sight :(

AMD always makes me wonder if they have something "huge" they are hiding and will be released at their next revision cycle, yet they have let me down quite a bit over the past five years.

I'm still hoping they can pull something out of their ass and catch either Nvidia or Intel by surprise and make some huge waves. Graphics seem to be the best bet for them.

Meh.

I would have purchased a BD, as I held off my upgrade even as SB was in full swing. Coming from an X2 6400+, I go very long times between upgrades. My goal with my last upgrade has some very specific criteria: high performance for longevity, decent value, and low power/heat. The power and heat thing was a big one for me since my 6400+ was a bit of a hot head that noticeably increased the temperature of my home office.

BD came and all the promises were broken. I felt as I had been lied to after all that time waiting for it to finally be released. Now why the hell would I purchase one after that kind of deception, lack of comcomparative performance, and a higher price than an i7K at the time?

Nobody deceived you, if anyone was cheated it was Amd when Microsoft could not deliver a system that would realize the potential the processor posses.
You don't think Amd thought they had the next Athlon64 when they were scheming this thing up? On paper it's a helluva design. It was a radical design change and Amd took a chance on this design, just like they are taking another chance on their APU design. Regardless of the outcome, you have to really admire a company that takes chances and tries to make radical design changes to try to better the technology. HSA is another new try for AMD. Take into account Haswell vs Ivybridge. Amd may realize that standard processing is running out of steam and trying to make changes to make processing more powerful. With windows 8 we are already seeing gpu power being used in different ways and a power APU is making more and more sense everyday.

Sounds to me like AMD is scared of the mighty [H]. Perhaps they have good reason to be. Perhaps their product isn't up to the challenge, and they're afraid of getting an honest review of it. Look at it from our perspective, AMD. If you're afraid of the [H] reviewing your chip, then we have reason to be afraid of parting with our money for one. I for one won't buy anything without having some idea how well it's going to perform ahead of time.

Well you can't really blame them. [H] pretty much shit all over Bulldozer and Piledriver as did a few others. Whether right or wrong, after so much bad press on review sites, why send out samples to review sites when they're just going to shit all over them again? Maybe they're not aiming at us at all. Maybe they're thinking they can shake down the "pre-built" crowd for a few of these knowing we wouldn't ever fall for it. I don't know. Like I said, I can't figure out what the hell they're trying to do with these chips.

Well you can't really blame them. [H] pretty much shit all over Bulldozer and Piledriver as did a few others. Whether right or wrong, after so much bad press on review sites, why send out samples to review sites when they're just going to shit all over them again? Maybe they're not aiming at us at all. Maybe they're thinking they can shake down the "pre-built" crowd for a few of these knowing we wouldn't ever fall for it. I don't know. Like I said, I can't figure out what the hell they're trying to do with these chips.

The am3+ sockets last release i suspect since steamroller looks like its going apu only now Gl finding stock on the 9590 it came to retail and died quickly

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11931709-AMD-FD9590FHHKWOF.html

the 300 mhz less 9370 is in stock for $346 :D looks to be a good chip...

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11931708-AMD-FD9370FHHKWOF.html

The am3+ sockets last release i suspect since steamroller looks like its going apu only now Gl finding stock on the 9590 it came to retail and died quickly

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11931709-AMD-FD9590FHHKWOF.html

the 300 mhz less 9370 is in stock for $346 :D looks to be a good chip...

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11931708-AMD-FD9370FHHKWOF.html

Steamroller isn't going to be AM3+?! :eek:

Everything I've heard so far says it's going to continue the AM3+ socket. Did I miss something? Wouldn't be the first time.

Everything I've heard so far says it's going to continue the AM3+ socket. Did I miss something? Wouldn't be the first time.

There have been rumors to both ways. I do not know what to believe.

Everything I've heard as well, indicates am3+. Though I do hope amd updates the chipset. The majority of those am3+ motherboards are outdated.

The fact that this is only available to system builders, it's very expensive, inefficient, and they don't want it reviewed makes it seem like they want to sell only to those that are looking for the "best" without performing their proper research first. But it really doesn't make sense, at the same price points, it's substantially slower than a comparable Intel part, it requires more intensive cooling, a larger power supply, and it only comes with a 1-year warranty. 5GHz or not, I find this a tough sell to systems integrators, let alone general consumers.

That is, unless their strategy is to charge a (rather large) premium for the first 5GHz stock CPU....

That or.... System integrators are being provided different bios or hardware than current consumer boards have?

would have been fun to see the [H]'s Koolance gear looking like one of those melted Pepsi bottles

Everything I've heard as well, indicates am3+. Though I do hope amd updates the chipset. The majority of those am3+ motherboards are outdated.

the death nail is kavari and all its hsa features and integrated pcie 3.0 that hats what steamroller has become i have been looking for recent information regarding an am3+ part that was said was coming last year but i have found nothing and the road maps it does not look good for an am3+ 8 core steamroller part this is why we have the 5ghz fx it could be the last hurrah for am3+ .or a test of the market for a ultra high clocked part.

How exactly ?

[H]ardocp didn't bother with Piledriver and on the Bulldozer review there was some backlash from forum members.

Yup, why get kicked in the nuts for free when you can get the guy who is going to kick you give you some money first.

Yup, why get kicked in the nuts for free when you can get the guy who is going to kick you give you some money first.

i believe [H] put itself into this situation by not taking the time to do a proper review. they just took the chip at stock and ran it against a sandy bridge overclocked to 4 ghz, of course the sandy bridge is going to win its by large margins its an overclocked chip vs a stock one... this is what set off most of the amd forum members and prob amd themselves. as they where expecting a fair real world evaluation of its cpu and its capabilities not a direct comparison to an overclocked intel part at the same speed.

the only way i see to correct this is to do a proper review of a future amd chip and then for a side jab do a separate overclocked comparison article where both chips are oc'd as ocing one is not a fair and balanced way to do it.

Poor AMD, I bet you can guess who won't be buying an AMD next PC refresh. Shame they turned down the best hardware review site on the net.

I like how some people are defending AMD's move, as if [H] reviews are done by the readers here. One thing has got nothing to do with the other. If AMD had something impressive to show, they would have sent one to Kyle, and you know that pretty well.

i believe [H] put itself into this situation by not taking the time to do a proper review. they just took the chip at stock and ran it against a sandy bridge overclocked to 4 ghz, of course the sandy bridge is going to win its by large margins its an overclocked chip vs a stock one... this is what set off most of the amd forum members and prob amd themselves. as they where expecting a fair real world evaluation of its cpu and its capabilities not a direct comparison to an overclocked intel part at the same speed.

the only way i see to correct this is to do a proper review of a future amd chip and then for a side jab do a separate overclocked comparison article where both chips are oc'd as ocing one is not a fair and balanced way to do it.

There have been plenty of reviews pitting stock clocks against each other. Not only did [H] do this, but they took it a step further to have all tested CPUs running at the same speeds in order to show IPC differences on an even playing field. That shows the true processing power of each part, leaving no question unanswered regarding it. I, for one, an glad [H] took the time to do that. And you can't complain about SB winning the testing when the Thuban was also ahead of BD in many tests...stock and OC'd.

I like how some people are defending AMD's move, as if [H] reviews are done by the readers here. One thing has got nothing to do with the other. If AMD had something impressive to show, they would have sent one to Kyle, and you know that pretty well.

Not to defend AMD...but those folks have a point. [H] reviews tell it like it is, which is why they get the respect...and when you as a manufacturer know your CPU is lacking computational legs and is poor in heat output and abysmally fails in a value comparison to Intel's chips...why bother releasing CPUs to benchmarkers/reviewers who will do their jobs when you know what they're going to say?

From AMD's perspective, all it would do is hurt their stock price when reviewers wrote about your lackluster R&D in your new product....because at the end of the day that is what this all is about, stock prices. Getting bonus points for transparency/honesty does not help your share price-quite the exact opposite AAMOF.

Back