AMD V120

Sikkyu

I Question Reality
I was looking at a laptop in best buy with this chip mostly because it was 300 dollars cheaper and came with a 4250 graphics card.

I dont need it for gaming, and did some quick hd video tests and seemed to be pretty responsive and fast.

This is what i was looking at. I can get it in canada at best buy for 400 bucks. Not to shabby. 3 hours of battery life seems reasonable for a 15.6"

Should I get this? i was also looking at a core i3 system but those start around 700~

The Acer AS5251-1007 Aspire laptop gives you enough-power and speed you need to work, play and surf. It has 15.6″ Acer CineCrystal LED-backlit LCD with 1366 x 768 resolution and supported by ATI Radeon HD 4250 with 256MB dedicated video memory. Running on Windows 7 Home Premium operating system, the Acer AS5251-1007 is powered by AMD V-Series featuring 2.20GHz AMD V120 Processor (single core) and optimied with 3GB RAM along with 250GB hard drive. Other specs include 8X DVD Super-Multi DL drive, 250GB hard drive, 2 Watts stereo speakers, HDMI output, webcam, microphone, multi-in-1 card reader, and 4 USB ports. This 6.16 lb. (2.6 kg) laptop packed with 6-cell battery which offers up to 3 hours of life. Price, Acer Aspire AS5251-1007 15.6″ laptop is selling for $400

doesnt look bad, only thing I would be weary of is the single core processor....but if it was responsive enough for you, you should be fine.

Hmm for some people atom is good enough so this should be acceptable too as it's probably good deal faster.

Hmm for some people atom is good enough so this should be acceptable too as it's probably good deal faster.

it should be :) clock speeds are much higher, but there isnt much info, as it was just released last month, as far as I can tell its a Phenom II derivative, especially for low power/notebook environments

yeah i have been combing the intertubes looking for some kind of solid benchmarks for it but at the moment there is nothing around. Actually I probably would have bought it but they only had the floor model but they might have got some last night.

If i do end up picking one up I'll do some benchmarks.

But yeah, mostly I was curios how it does with dvd decoding but the 4250 should be pretty solid for that. The single core is the only thing im sketchy about. Honestly i just didnt want to go with an atom because... they do suck. I would like to watch movies and have it play in HD. getting through 1 or maybe 2 movies before the batter goes with be a big plus.

hell, thats the reason I would have bought it :) Ask them for a discount, got a Alpine X-100 or somethin like that(retail $400), for $200 because it was a floor model :)

anyhow, I'd say go for it, it wont be as bad as an atom, and the next "best" thing is going to be nearly double the price, so not very worth it in my opinion.....I do see where your hesitation is though.

Some power consumption/battery life statistics would really help you decide, but I can't locate much.

yeah i noticed that, but that was all i could find. i should bring a cd to best buy and install vantage on it and see what it gets.

BTW if you can spend a bit more I'd really really advise Asus UL series like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-UL50AG-R...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276884183&sr=8-15

those have amazing battery life (i can get 7-8h office work on battery in real life), dual core cpu, above average build quality (for this price range)

That's a nice dual core inside and if you are after low tdp su7300 is 10w part, and from what i'm reading people who measured it say whole laptop has 7-8w consumption in idle/light office use.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well sorry i live in Poland so he will have to look for best price for it on his own ;)

ya, living out of the states kills the PC prices you get from users on here, lol

Hey i ended up picking that laptop up and just for kicks i installed and ran 3dMark06 and Vantage.
Here are the 3dMark06 Results

3dMark06 Score 1569 3dmarks
SM 2.0 534
SM 3.0 652
CPU score 937

and cant run vantage, you need a taller screen, this one only does 1366x768.

there ya go. obviously not a gaming powerhouse but what can you expect from a single core laptop for 400 bucks.

Last edited:
thats roughly double the Atom 230....and beats the dual core Atom 330 by around 200 points....thats pretty dam good.......i just realized how little benchmarks are available for the Atom/AMD equivalent CPU's...

edit: forgot to say my congrats on the purchase.......how is it ?

For what i want its excellent. its big, got a full keyboard + number pad. Im not used to typing on a laptop but its getting easier. I downloaded all drivers, deleted all bloatware that came with it, got firefox and all this nifty plugins. I started watching some HD youtube videos and it plays them just perfect. Screen is bright.

for 400 bucks its WAAAAAAAY better then an atom based notebook. This chip is pretty sweet. Hell if i ever get back into MMO's I'm sure it could run an alt at minimum settings for dual boxing.

First time i saw it I thought no way, this will suck. Saw it play some videos and was sold.

it does look tempting....now if only I wanted a low power netbook and not the most bad ass(and [H] ) tablet I could find

it does look tempting....now if only I wanted a low power netbook and not the most bad ass(and [H] ) tablet I could find

hah i know what you mean. I would like a core i5 or i7 based notebook, but i would have a hard time trying think when i would use all that power. Maybe if i was traveling ALOT for work and wanted to play in the hotel, but thats so lame. so much other stuff to do. Its why I have a desktop.

I also got this laptop so I can connect it to my car. so a cheep laptop with a good screen was a big plus.

i see what you mean, connecting in the car, i wouldnt want to drop ~2 or 3k on a laptop to put it in a care :p.......

funny to say, i'm looking at a 3k HP tablet(i7 and the whole shebang, + ~9 hr bat life)

yeah... im droping 2k into my wrx, not a huge amount but i autocross so it will add quite a bit. and i need the tuning software. If anything i might just get a car adapter for the laptop.

hell im just happy to see the Turion name die.. god those chips sucked ass! ran insanely hot with absolutely no performance..

Why would AMD market them without a series name? At least slap Sempron or something on it. So much for brandname recognition.

Anyways, how does this compare to a single core SU and the older MV40?

why no brand name?

just look at the post above yours, Turion had a bad rep, the mobile Athlons arnt much better....Sempron is not known for being well performing....

If so, AMD should have just scrapped branding altogether, but the new mobile parts are still branded Athlon/Turion/Phenom, even the Neos retained the Athlon/Turion prefixes.

Since the "V-series" is the entry level CPUs, I dont see a reason why not to use the Sempron nameplate. Unless V stands for "Vision" and AMD only plans to sell them in the VIsion pakage, the scheme is plain odd and unproductive.

Besides, people shopping for laptops in this market segment care more about price than anything else, having a good performing chip branded "Sempron" would actually bring the reputation up and benefit AMD.

Back