AMD Turion

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a good workhorse, good for general use, e-mail, chat, word processing, music, some DVD watching.. maybe very casual gaming.. (NWN, KOTOR, Warcraft 3, WoW, HL) no big hogs like HL2 or Doom 3.. I was wondering if the AMD Turion is worth a look, and where is a good site to configure one, HP, Asus? or something else??

my guts tell me to wait a bit more on the turions, we are likely to see more notebooks from different brands with turion processors inside. MSI has a model upcoming very soon which is better for gaming since it has a X700 GPU, Asus and HP are also ok for daily use. My problem is that turion notebooks are not cheaper compared to pentium-m and clock for clock they can't outpace pentium-m based notebooks, they really should become more affordable.

Really!! I though the pentium-m had the edge over the turion. Well, there you go AMD rising over intel again. Though it's weird the turion is more expensive than the p-m, they are in the same class aren't they?

ufster8 said:
..... My problem is that turion notebooks are not cheaper compared to pentium-m and clock for clock they can't outpace pentium-m based notebooks, they really should become more affordable.

Guy above me, how did you get that from these posts at all????? He clearly says that the ARE NOT as "fast" as a P-M.

jack9800XT said:
Guy above me, how did you get that from these posts at all????? He clearly says that the ARE NOT as "fast" as a P-M.

I read it too fast. That's all.

I was looking at the Ferrari 4000 now as an option to serve as an all-purpose laptop.

AMD Turion ML-37 2.0Ghz 1MB Cache
1GB DDR333 RAM
100GB HD
ATI X700 PCI-E
15.4 Widescreen
DVD Burner
Carbon Fiber casing, 6.3lbs

I would use it for desktop replacement, school, gaming, chat, e-mail, travel buddy, music, dvd.. ect.. comes out to $2000 but I can save up easily, i've always been fond of AMD and like the 64 bit capability it will serve..

yay or nay?

Ive never seen the Ferrari in person, nor any Turion noteboke for that matter.
But if you can find a store around you that sells it, I would take a look.

That way you can look at the screen, feel the keyboard, see if it gets hot, feel the weight. The Ferrari sure looks AMAZING in my book.

Only things to keep in mind, is do you need a very long battery life, is weight a problem?
The Penium M is an amazing processor (even If im not fond of any other Intel processor at the moment). Some are very low power(energy) which means good battery life and are very powerful.

From the specs, the Turnion is not as good with battery life, especially if you start to add on things like graphic cards and whatnot... but........ if you like to game then its a price to pay.

Acer has turned around their business a little, and their notebooks are a huge inprovment over the desktops we purchased for my local high school. (I was amazed to find out I could replace both memory sticks from the bottom of my Acer laptop, they are made good).

The battery said to last 3 hours on the turion per charge, on a 8 cell. which is decent for me, extra batteries are always a option, especially with 3 hours a piece.. I would only game with it plugged into the wall, it will stay plugged at home.

I want to have a great all-rounder, and I think this would serve well for that, if I wanted battery life and travel, I would look into an IBM or smaller notebook. 6 pounds isnt heavy for me at all, I used to haul around a P4 17" toshiba which was a pain.. so anything under will work.

Turion would be okay, though it's inferior to the Pentium M in every way. That doesn't mean that it's unsuitable, however. I would just feel better working with a more mature platform, where there's a lot more choices (Pentium M).

xonik said:
Turion would be okay, though it's inferior to the Pentium M in every way. That doesn't mean that it's unsuitable, however. I would just feel better working with a more mature platform, where there's a lot more choices (Pentium M).

Well... I kind of see where you are going with the 'unsuitability' of Turion when compared to a Pentium M. However, I do think going with a new laptop, one should think about the lack of 64-bit extensions on the Pentium-M. Going forward, many products will be either 64-bit only or have lesser 32-bit versions, IMHO.

Josh_B said:
Well... I kind of see where you are going with the 'unsuitability' of Turion when compared to a Pentium M. However, I do think going with a new laptop, one should think about the lack of 64-bit extensions on the Pentium-M. Going forward, many products will be either 64-bit only or have lesser 32-bit versions, IMHO.
If you plan on keeping the laptop for over 3 years, this really starts to become a factor, and 64bit should be kept in mind

xonik said:

I don't see how the turion is inferior in every way. Do the turion's integrated mem controller and 64-bit capabilities not count for anything? I mean, the pentium M is an amazing processor, but the turion is equally as amazing. It's basically just a mobile-optimized 754 athlon 64. And we've seen time and time again that dothan and K8 go almost toe-to-toe at equal clocks.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_12651_12658,00.html

The AMD Turion also have that added buffer overflow protection with MS WinXP SP2

For some reason, according to those stats (if "thermal" is just the same as actual power.... im not 100% sure), the turion does'nt use as much power as I previously thought.... strange. I wonder if battery time is comparable to the Pentium M if all else is equal. Both CPU's have a form of frequency back throttling

Eva_Unit_0 said:
I don't see how the turion is inferior in every way. Do the turion's integrated mem controller and 64-bit capabilities not count for anything? I mean, the pentium M is an amazing processor, but the turion is equally as amazing. It's basically just a mobile-optimized 754 athlon 64. And we've seen time and time again that dothan and K8 go almost toe-to-toe at equal clocks.

And the turion is not the K8. It's been benchmarked as significantly slower, hotter, and more power hungry than the newer P-M chips.

lopoetve said:
And the turion is not the K8. It's been benchmarked as significantly slower, hotter, and more power hungry than the newer P-M chips.

How is the Turion not a K8? It shares the same core, although I hear the transistors are of a different type... optimized for power comsumption.

Back