AMD Transitioning to 12nm LP Process for Vega, Ryzen in 2018

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
AMD’s CTO Mark Papermaster has confirmed that they will transition both Vega GPUs and the Ryzen line of processors to the 12nm LP process. However, it’s still not clear whether or not he meant that 12nm LP will be a shrink of Ryzen in 2018 (a "tick") or if Zen+/Zen 2 will also be using the 12LP process. Previously, AMD has implied that Zen 2 will use the 7nm process. The company has used both "Zen+" and "Zen 2" to refer to its next-generation die.

Earlier, we learned from Raja Koduri's letter to his team that we should expect "new wave of product excitement" in early 2018, which implies that is when we might see the first news of Vega with the 12nm LP process to emerge. NVIDIA’s Volta architecture is already shipping on TSMC’s 12nm FFN process this year, so on the GPU side Nvidia seems to be ahead on adopting new process technology right now. Of course, on the CPU side we also have Intel, which promised “real” 10nm chips for next year that should also be significantly ahead in performance and power efficiency compared to the 12LP process.

I dont care what it uses. i want a performance increase at a decent price that competes with Intel.

Oh and make sure it isn't a house fire.

(I'm not saying the first iteration of Zen is bad, it is a huge step in the right direction for AMD.)

12LP is a renamed 14LP+ process and there are no area savings ro shrinkage. In reality its a 16nm or so node.

Just as 12 FFN is a 4th generation 16 FF that's really a 20nm FF node.

Hence why "12LP" can get 15% reduction over "16FF".

We all knew this that AMD is doing à New révision of glofo 14nm++, but for PR purpose lets call it 12nm....

We all knew this that AMD is doing à New révision of glofo 14nm++, but for PR purpose lets call it 12nm....

12LP is not the same as 14LPP.

14LPP focused on power reduction while the new 12LP process main focus is transistor density and higher clocks.....natural process evolution.

12LP is not the same as 14LPP.

14LPP focused on power reduction while the new 12LP process main focus is transistor density and higher clocks.....natural process evolution.

There is no density change. If anything they may grow a tiny bit to reach those clocks. Using any higher density libraries will only reduce clocks.

I dont care what it uses. i want a performance increase at a decent price that competes with Intel.

Oh and make sure it isn't a house fire.

(I'm not saying the first iteration of Zen is bad, it is a huge step in the right direction for AMD.)
The smaller it is the less chance of a higher power draw that may lead to a house fire. :)

They are very energy efficient because they are powered off in a warehouse because they are the same fucking speed of the GPU I BOUGHT LAST YEAR.

Back