AMD TR 2 32 core? Too spendy? Updated with strong potential price leak!

My money will go towards a TR2. Spendy, sure, but this level of performance can not be assumed to be cheap.

I'll believe Intel about their 5 Ghz 28 core chip when my poop turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

My money will go towards a TR2. Spendy, sure, but this level of performance can not be assumed to be cheap.

I'll believe Intel about their 5 Ghz 28 core chip when my poop turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Oh it can. As long as you have a badass sub-zero chiller and a personal nuclear power plant to run it all :p

According to WCCFTECH prices have been released by VIdeocardz ? Who da Fuq is they be anyway?
\\\

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2000-specs-prices-leak-2990wx-1799-usd/

Thus now I am saddened by the price but ... on the other hand the price is eating Intel's ass for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now we wait to see how the reviews play out, motherboards too... and what Intel is going to counter with as far as their 28 core price wise.

For the money the 24 core is looking more in my ballpark. Shit I couldn't imagine a 24 core chip in my box as is but for $1299 that isn't bad at all!

Just need to wait and see what the actual OFFICIAL price is from AMD and not some WCCFTECH posted site.

But I am sure that these chips are probably going to cost around or exactly this at this point.

We will see. I can see them putting it in the $1500 range at launch but I personally probably won't bite until a price break happens. I paid a full $999 for my 1950x because it was my new rig after 5 years, I was exited, and didn't think they'd discount it for a while, then two months later it could be had for $799. This time I am in no hurry for a new CPU. ;)

same thing happened to me but MC price matched it anyways

Yeah official price is 1799.

According to Gamers Nexus AMD did some games testing and the chip is 6% slower in gaming? But I didn't catch 6% slower than what? and if so in what?

So for those that are wanting to play games on their productivity machines like I do, one must consider that these might even be slower in gaming? But again I have no idea what Steve was rambling on about. He should have clarified that much better than his rushed video preview/review thingy.

Yeah official price is 1799.

According to Gamers Nexus AMD did some games testing and the chip is 6% slower in gaming? But I didn't catch 6% slower than what? and if so in what?

So for those that are wanting to play games on their productivity machines like I do, one must consider that these might even be slower in gaming? But again I have no idea what Steve was rambling on about. He should have clarified that much better than his rushed video preview/review thingy.

I'm guessing relative to the 2700X. For the 2990WX maybe it's a tad slower as it peaks 100mhz less than the 2700X, but the 2950X should be faster as it has 100mhz higher boost than the 2700X. Most likely4.45ghz with XFR2 on 2 cores (1 per die) vs 4.35 for the 2700X on a single core and 4.25 for the 2990WX on 4 cores (1 per die). I'm guessing performance NDA is up Monday?

edit: nm, it's 2950X vs. the core i9 7900X (which is $100 more). Slides here:

https://videocardz.com/77071/amd-announces-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2970wx-2950x-and-2920x

"The AMD Ryzen Overclocking Team managed to push the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX CPU to over 5.1GHz on liquid nitrogen, achieving record breaking performance with a score of 7,618, beating the current single socket record set by the competition’s Core i9-7980XE CPU at 5,828 points. "

Impressive

At least one TechTuber already mad/miffed/pissed that he didn't get sampled a review kit. Might be more. :blackeye:

I did call that price for launch. It just hits the market there compared to a 1950x for $800.

"The AMD Ryzen Overclocking Team managed to push the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX CPU to over 5.1GHz on liquid nitrogen, achieving record breaking performance with a score of 7,618, beating the current single socket record set by the competition’s Core i9-7980XE CPU at 5,828 points. "

Impressive
Maybe they can borrow Intels chilled water cooler setup and see what this thing can do?

Just for a giggle I'm going to put KVM with a windows vm and my graphics card in pass through mode, see how it runs compared to my gaming box.

Maybe they can borrow Intels chilled water cooler setup and see what this thing can do?
81QaWOW0luL._SL1500_.jpg

I really think I'm gonna shello ut for this chip but I must absolutely must wait on Kyle's performance review. I want to know gaming... thermals... air... water... voltage... oc ... and real feel and performance.

Waiting on the K dawg to slap that bad boy up for our viewing pleasure.

Anyone want a badass delidded 7820x and prime and block muhahah

Man my video projects would skyrocket. I'll run out of work to do with my Drone collection in about 2 weeks lmao. 7820x takes 3 to 4 hours to do a high quality encode of h265 per GB give or take. This would be a game changer. But dsmn that price even if its price to performance is stellar. What a chunk of greenbacks.

Kyle when you do your review or already having done it can you add in a cinebench single threaded comparison to an Intel of your choice. We all know its going to be a destroyer on multithreading. But that single thread metric would be nice.

Tests with 8, 16 and 20 cores disabled would also be interesting. Unless of course the 2950x embargo drops at the same time.

Kyle when you do your review or already having done it can you add in a cinebench single threaded comparison to an Intel of your choice. We all know its going to be a destroyer on multithreading. But that single thread metric would be nice.
Will be in there like all our reviews of the last year or so...

Back