AMD To strike back?

j1979

Limp Gawd
It looks like the purchase of ATI is starting to look like a good peice of business by AMD.

early reports show that the the new R670 gpus are out perfoming Nvidias G92

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/03/nvidia-admits-defeat-g92-vs

and the so called R680 (x2 R670 on the same board) gives the Phenom user on the RD790 chipset the chance to have 6 gpus on the same PC

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/R680_To_Score_20K_In_3DMark06/5325.html

Now this is all well and good but if Phenom is slower than kentsfield in real world apps this will cause AMD a headache. But looking the fisrt barcelona 3dmark 06 bench (the only one i can find) the server chip is not far behind q6600 @2.4ghz and by my reconing its ahead of kentsfield clock for clock in this bench. With the server barcelona (opteron 2350) scoreing 2907 in the cpu score @ 2ghz.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158051&page=35

now later in this tread posters say that the q6600 scores about 3400 so using simple maths the 2.4 barcelona chip should get about 3500.

can anyone confirm that a Q6600 scores 3400 in 3dmark06 on the cpu score? if so can they post some screens please.

and the so called R680 (x2 R670 on the same board) gives the Phenom user on the RD790 chipset the chance to have 6 gpus on the same PC

Would it give this same 6 gpu idiot the chance to GET A LIFE? 6 gpus is not "enthusiast", it's stupid consumer whore, and somewhere out there, some idiot making minimum wage is going to be building his 6 gpu "dream machine" instead of properly using that money to better his life.

Would it give this same 6 gpu idiot the chance to GET A LIFE? 6 gpus is not "enthusiast", it's stupid consumer whore, and somewhere out there, some idiot making minimum wage is going to be building his 6 gpu "dream machine" instead of properly using that money to better his life.

uummm, very constructive, thanks! so you can't post Q6600 3dmark06 scores im quessing?

Tentatively, I'd like to say that because ATi fucked up so hardcore with R600, they won't with R680. Time will tell!

uummm, very constructive, thanks! so you can't post Q6600 3dmark06 scores im quessing?

This is a forum, you should expect generalized remarks about what you post, and posting about "the opportunity to have 6 gpus on one PC" is inviting discussion.

This is a forum, But the thread starter asked you to keep it constructive. If you wish, you can start your own thread with nothing but bitching about the idiocies of people.

This is a forum, But the thread starter asked you to keep it constructive. If you wish, you can start your own thread with nothing but bitching about the idiocies of people.

like posting to bitch about my post while adding no new information? ;)

Since everyone seems to want an answer, here it is:
No one PLAYS 3Dmark, and they never have. Different games will utilize processor speed and GPUs to varying degrees of effectiveness based on the team that creates the game. Trying to get a handle on hardware thats not even out and comparing it against other hardware on games not even out is absurd, useless, and time consuming.

like posting to bitch about my post while adding no new information? ;)

Since everyone seems to want an answer, here it is:
No one PLAYS 3Dmark, and they never have. Different games will utilize processor speed and GPUs to varying degrees of effectiveness based on the team that creates the game. Trying to get a handle on hardware thats not even out and comparing it against other hardware on games not even out is absurd, useless, and time consuming.

I'm sorry, you must be new here. This is a computer hardware enthusiast forum, and discussing computer hardware (old, new, and yet to be released) is what we do.

If you want to discuss retirement plans, go join Forbes.com.

I'm sorry, you must be new here. This is a computer hardware enthusiast forum, and discussing computer hardware (old, new, and yet to be released) is what we do.

If you want to discuss retirement plans, go join Forbes.com.

No, discussing 3Dmark is about as stupid as discussing sandra. When you get the hardware and software on the table to bench something like Crysis, how about have a go at it. Anything else is stupid and useless speculation.

No, discussing 3Dmark is about as stupid as discussing sandra. When you get the hardware and software on the table to bench something like Crysis, how about have a go at it. Anything else is stupid and useless speculation.

3dmark is a unique bench, as it uses dx9 and tests atributes that will be required to make 3D games run better. As i dont have a barcelona chip, i cant run any game benches, im just going off the benches that s7e9h3n was kind enough to run over on the XS forum.

If you think this is a pointless tread then please feel free to fuck off! because all you seem to want to do is say how pointless the tread is, your wasting your own time so in your own words "GET A LIFE".

speculation.

This was the whole point!!!

3dmark is a unique bench, as it uses dx9 and tests atributes that will be required to make 3D games run better. As i dont have a barcelona chip, i cant run any game benches, im just going off the benches that s7e9h3n was kind enough to run over on the XS forum.

If you think this is a pointless tread then please feel free to fuck off! because all you seem to want to do is say how pointless the tread is, your wasting your own time so in your own words "GET A LIFE".

This was the whole point!!!

no, the point is this "Different games will utilize processor speed and GPUs to varying degrees of effectiveness based on the team that creates the game."

speculation is wortless, but I'll leave you and your worthless thread so you can speculate more.

I can see both sides to this 'argument'..3dmark and sandra aren't the be-all end-all benchmarks that we should base everything upon. Then can, however, be useful tools to estimate performance, and yes, even speculate what performance of yet-to-be released chips will be like. Back on topic, I hope AMD really does have something up their sleeves, and I have a feeling R680 will be much better than R600.

If this doesnt 'cut it' then this forum will be dead by the spring.I think the op's links are a good read,and I am excited to see this,too bad no benchmarks were released,and yet again,no one was allowed to test it... :( This is getting old.Not even cpu speeds
were mentioned...this close,to the supposed launch of the biggest and best architecure they have ever worked on.

people might find some more links if they use the code name AMD chose which is 10H, not K8L, K9 or K10. but none the less pickings and details are few and far between.

I hope some real concreate details and benches from good sites start coming soon for phenom and the new R670

Why didn't you just search the FutureMark ORB yourself? The CPU scores with Q6600@stock are evenly distributed within a range of 3400-3900 (XP). I've never run my own at stock so I can't verify this... but I do get a CPU score of 4691 @3GHz.

I have faith it's a back and forth battle with them and always really has been, if they won't come back this round with power then value is what they'll use.

fd3a561f.png

Q6600 at default speeds....

Totally agree, marketing, stupid marketing.

Totally agree, marketing, stupid marketing.

Yup,just like some on here and other places,that like to spout off about 'native quadcore' being better then Intels kenstfield :p Its amazing what marketing garbage some will swallow.

man I agree hence why I believe two gups is dumb as well.

I personally prefer Single die GPU vs Multiple GPU dies on a single card. This card would natively require Crossfire technology which means additional overhead due to syncing the 2 GPU's up.

I don't think we will see a new Single Die flagship till sometime in 2008 though.

6 GPUs performance may or may not mean much if each GPU is only 0.7 or 0.8x the performance of the 8800 GTX/Ultra not to mention additional overhead and sub linear scaling due to that amount of GPU's. Triple Crossfire is already bad enough I couldn't imagine the efficiency loss with Hexa Crossfire.

3500 CPU score is on the low end for a Q6600 at 2.4GHz.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3230529

Here is one that is nearly 3800 for a 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=2459602

So is anyone going to discuss the actual topic? The argument about whether or not you like multiple GPU's would be great....for the GPU threads.

So is anyone going to discuss the actual topic? The argument about whether or not you like multiple GPU's would be great....for the GPU threads.

Read through the entire comment and I did contribute to the thread by putting information on what a Core 2 Quad scores in CPU.

Read through the entire comment and I did contribute to the thread by putting information on what a Core 2 Quad scores in CPU.
Wasn't really directed toward you-I was actually in the middle of typing when you posted that. Sorry if it came out that way.

Are you kidding? How else to you expect us to run 2x or even, dare I say it, 4x AA!

AMD still delivers the most bang for the buck. Once the prices are dropped even further on the 8th I don't think intel will be able to catch up.

AMD still delivers the most bang for the buck. Once the prices are dropped even further on the 8th I don't think intel will be able to catch up.

Put the pipe down. :D Catch up ? They are so far ahead its scary.

AMD is playing a dangerous game with this price war,its one they cannot win,and only lose at.

Really, how so?

With how cheap core duo's are atm, and again with how its almost guaranteed to hit 3ghz+, I dont think AMD can even smell Intel's farts atm.

Really, how so?

With how cheap core duo's are atm, and again with how its almost guaranteed to hit 3ghz+, I dont think AMD can even smell Intel's farts atm.

LOL, i think AMD can not only smell the farts, but are hyper ventilating in a room filled with the arse stench of intel, and thats the problem. AMDs biggest problem atm is getting enough CPUs to market. Intel can produce many more than AMD at cheaper rates and the availablity of intel cpus is massive, they are always in stock everywhere. The perfomance of Phenom will be in the same ball park as kentsfield.

Alot of people on this forum and XS (myself included) made a big deal of how poor the barcelona (opteron 2ghz) did at 1m superpi (about 39 seconds). But i bet if four instances of superpi were ran at the same time the barcelona chip would be alot closer clock for clock to clovertown/kentsfield, because the natuaral advantage of having a shared level 2 cache makes single treaded apps run faster on intel chips. but when all four cores on the intel chips have to fight for the cache, bottle necks will accur. Phenom/barcelona has tried to be the best of both by having dedicated L2 and a shared L3, but this is never going to be as good as a large shared L2 for single threaded integer apps or benchmarks.

this is just my oppinion so please dont rip into me!

Well, here is my 3dmark06 score and CPU mark score with an XFX 8800 gts 320mb (stock clock speeds)

and Q6600 B0 revision at 3.1 ghz.

results.jpg

wow Ethug, you want to talk about contradiction? how about that, first you're talking about how this is [H] no one cares about value chips, now you're complaining about 6 gpus? which one is it :p?

Really, how so?

Sorry but overclocking is not something a typical consumer would do. I doubt to see 10% of those buying those new duos overclocking. And without overclocking they are so much slower than the X2s. Overclocking garuantees nothing. Buying from a big company like intel only helps politicians fuck up america. I will continue to buy from a company that builds the stuff in europe the land of the free instead of shitty america.

Sorry but overclocking is not something a typical consumer would do. I doubt to see 10% of those buying those new duos overclocking. And without overclocking they are so much slower than the X2s. Overclocking garuantees nothing. Buying from a big company like intel only helps politicians fuck up america. I will continue to buy from a company that builds the stuff in europe the land of the free instead of shitty america.

Those attacks really have no place on technical forums like these. Get a nice job and you wouldn't be so angry at those that have.... AMD is still here, whether or not they will make a comeback on the enthusiast front... only time will tell for sure, as always.

Those attacks really have no place on technical forums like these. Get a nice job and you wouldn't be so angry at those that have.... AMD is still here, whether or not they will make a comeback on the enthusiast front... only time will tell for sure, as always.

as far as I know AMD has lost no ground on the enthusiasts front. Those were not attacks they were fact and truth. Only idiots waste money on goods from number one companies.

as far as I know AMD has lost no ground on the enthusiasts front. Those were not attacks they were fact and truth. Only idiots waste money on goods from number one companies.

I would advise against trolling. Besides, being courteous and respectful is generally a good policy to have.

Well everyone is entitled to thier opinion,no matter how flawed and insane I guess :D

The low prices are a major factor in AMD's terrible financial health.

Back