AMD Threadripper Makes 5.2GHz on LN2

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD shared out a screen shot last night of its 16-C Threadripper 1950X achieving 5.2GHz on LN2, up from its boost clock of 4.2GHz. The overclock however was across all 16 cores. The Cinebench R15 score of 4122cb is impressive, no matter your thoughts on the OC.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-core/32-thread) - $999-Amazon - $1000-Newegg
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X (12-core/24-thread) - $799-Amazon - $800-Newegg

Screenshot.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wonder if LD cooling is planning on supporting TR4...
I've had the itch since I tossed my Vapochill LS last year.
Hmmm.

Threadripper is totally annihilating Intel in these SMT workloads. Interesting for sure. I'm looking forward to OVH having Threadripper systems available for rent soon.

If these can get even close to Intel in IPC (and if AMD can meet demand), AMD should make a killing in the high end segment. About damn time we get some CPU competition.

If these can get even close to Intel in IPC (and if AMD can meet demand), AMD should make a killing in the high end segment. About damn time we get some CPU competition.

I wonder with throttling on the AVX512 workloads if they won't have the advantage people claim they could have. I am personally interested in Intel only for that reason, I have some work I would like to get an improvement on.

So review embargos are like fight clubs - the first rule is to never talk about them?

I'm surprised you can't even say when it's ending. Waiting on pins and needles for these AMD reviews and info is more dry than a cactus in the middle of the tundra. Cold, Dry and Painful.

Yea I am really excited to see some reviews. I am still on a 4770K which is actually fine but I really want a motherboard upgrade more than anything. 64 PCIE lanes sounds good for that kind of thing...

This is definitely impressive given that at work our HP z840 with a dual E5-2690v4 (14 core) scores just about 4300. However what's the score without LN2? I really don't see a point of showing CB score from an overclocked LN2 cooled system with a professional software. I'm sure this will still have a very nice score even with normal clocks, hard to beat for the price.

If you look at the photo the top 3 spots appear to be threadripper Not sure what the difference between 2nd and 3rd results however. maybe 2 is overclock without Ln2

Imo if they are taking money for pre-orders there should be no review embargoes, what is this, Colonial marines?

The 1950x is bringing back memories of the x1950

x1900xt2561.jpg

So review embargos are like fight clubs - the first rule is to never talk about them?

I'm surprised you can't even say when it's ending. Waiting on pins and needles for these AMD reviews and info is more dry than a cactus in the middle of the tundra. Cold, Dry and Painful.

Allusions elude you.

Seriously?

Looks like it's time to make my way back to the AMD boat. I've been an AMD guy pretty much my entire computer life outside of two builds due to Intel just dominating at the time.

Can't wait to see the Vega results to see if going with an AMD card would be the better bet or if I should stick with team Green on the GPU side of things.

Back