AMD’s VP of Worldwide GPU and CPU Sales Interviewed

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Driver Heaven managed to sit down and have a nice little chat today with John Byrne, AMD’s Vice President of Worldwide GPU and CPU sales. The topic of conversation? Radeon HD 5000 series shortages and what the company is doing to ramp production to meet demand. This information certainly jives with what we shared with you last week.

"Yes, we are impacted by TSMC's continued problems with production at the 40 nm process, however we feel we are tracking reasonably well to where we expected to be at this point, thanks in large part to our early start with 40 nm process technology with the ATI Radeon HD 4770. Yields for the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series, our most complex ASIC to date, are only slightly off from the aggressive targets we set. At the same time, we are actually tracking above target for the production of the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series.

The crew at Driver Heaven managed to sit down and have a nice little chat today with John Byrne, AMD’s Vice President of Worldwide GPU and CPU sales. The topic of conversation? Radeon HD 5000 series shortages and what the company is doing to ramp production to meet demand. This information certainly jives with what we shared with you last week.

I'd hope they were "tracking above target for the production of the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series." There are about ten billion of those in stock on Newegg right now.

Anger level rising.

The 5800 series is pretty much looking like a paper launch. I'm sure the few who have been able to get their hands on one are enjoying them, but AMD/ATI definitely did not have the stock or the production to get these into the retail channel. Smells like an old-style "Yeah, we have the fastest part*" a la nVidia.

*limited quantities produced - not likely to actually be available for sale

I'd say supply is pretty good, there's been several occasions where i saw the 58xx series for sale. I don't need something like that so i didn't get one but they are appearing in stock all over the place, just for an hour at a time though.

I'd say supply is pretty good, there's been several occasions where i saw the 58xx series for sale. I don't need something like that so i didn't get one but they are appearing in stock all over the place, just for an hour at a time though.

I want some of what you are smoking!!!!

I live in the SF Bay Area, (AMD's home territory) and let me tell you. EVERYWHERE, Fry's: All 8 locations in the bay area, Microcenter (Sunnyvale) and Central Computer do not have any. And this is not an issue in the bay area, but all over the country.

This product is very much a paper launch with the exception of the few who have managed to get there hands on one. In the last few series that Nvidia has released, there have been plenty of cards ready for the public. Not so with AMD/ATI. I was looking forward to go to frys and pick one up this weekend. It looks like I won't be getting one until January or Feb.

Wow, I never noticed that. Went to newegg.com to check out their 58xx stocks and every single one of them are marked "auto notify" to let you know when/if they come in.

Back