AMD Ryzen Memory Analysis with Flare-X : 20 Apps & 17 Games, up to 4K

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Analysis/

We got our hands on a G.Skill Flare X series 2x 8 GB dual-channel memory kit and ran it on a machine with an Aorus AX370-Gaming 5 motherboard and a top-tier Ryzen 7 1800X eight-core processor. The memory was run at DDR4-2133 (JEDEC baseline), DDR4-2400, DDR4-2666 (Ryzen default), DDR4-2933, and DDR4-3200. The DDR4-3200 data point was further spread across three CAS latency settings, 14T, 16T, and 18T. All other settings were run at tight 14T CAS latencies. The test bed was put through a wide selection of CPU-specific and gaming tests.

I love the fact they tested cas latency differences at 3200! This is gonna be a great read!

Don't blow your wad yet...
Yeah, I wish they had also given us the 99/ .1 as the biggest gains folks with faster ram seem to be there.

Though it was odd how often cl18 and 16 ended up on top over 14 in so many tests.

Though I completely disagree with their conclusion. No one should be buying bottom tier ram for Ryzen the cheaper 3k/3200 Kits at cl16 are still at good prices considering how much you're already spending buying ram today.

I said F it and just got 16 16 16 36 3600 ram since 3200cl14 had basically gotten too close and in the tridents case $30 more expensive! I'll downclock for now and when multi's open up I'll have some leg room.

Though I completely disagree with their conclusion. No one should be buying bottom tier ram for Ryzen the cheaper 3k/3200 Kits at cl16 are still at good prices considering how much you're already spending buying ram today.

This +1.

I'm really glad they put this review together, but now I am questioning the purchase (again, I ordered the Flare X before there were any reviews...).

In my situation I have 32GB of the TridentZ running at 2400. I was able to get to 2667 with some tweaking, but 2400 was the highest I could get with normal auto settings. Now it seems there will be little benefit to going to 3200 and I'd be losing 16GB in the process.

Can't say I'm too thrilled but I may just open the Flare X kit and do my own tests and then sell the other pair.

I got the Flare X kit tonight and loaded it up. Had updated BIOS on the MSI Titanium a few days ago, just selected 3200 and that was it. A nice surprise.

I wasn't expecting much gain right now, certainly not at 4K resolution, but there was a small improvement. I didn't do any scientific benchmarks but it appeared to net me up to 10% improvement in some games.

For example, RoTR previously (on 2400 speed TridentZ chips) I was getting around 45 fps while on 3200 Flare X I was more around 50 and slightly above. Not a monster improvement, but so close to 60fps every frame counts.

Far Cry Primal also saw a minor improvement, from around 47 fps to like 50, so about 5%, not that much but it's something (though still sub-par at 4K). GTA V seemed unchanged, still getting around 65fps, which was already fine so no issue there.

If you're wondering why the fps is so low it's because I am using dual RX 480s while I wait for Vega. Sorry I didn't do a scientific test (there are pros for that) but so far performance seems at least as good or slightly better than the 2400 sticks I had before.

The only negative was that I had to drop to 16GB from 32GB but it seems most games can run fine with 16GB so I can live with that for now (maybe RAM compatibility will improve in the future and I can upgrade).

I got the Flare X kit tonight and loaded it up. Had updated BIOS on the MSI Titanium a few days ago, just selected 3200 and that was it. A nice surprise.

I wasn't expecting much gain right now, certainly not at 4K resolution, but there was a small improvement. I didn't do any scientific benchmarks but it appeared to net me up to 10% improvement in some games.

For example, RoTR previously (on 2400 speed TridentZ chips) I was getting around 45 fps while on 3200 Flare X I was more around 50 and slightly above. Not a monster improvement, but so close to 60fps every frame counts.

Far Cry Primal also saw a minor improvement, from around 47 fps to like 50, so about 5%, not that much but it's something (though still sub-par at 4K). GTA V seemed unchanged, still getting around 65fps, which was already fine so no issue there.

If you're wondering why the fps is so low it's because I am using dual RX 480s while I wait for Vega. Sorry I didn't do a scientific test (there are pros for that) but so far performance seems at least as good or slightly better than the 2400 sticks I had before.

The only negative was that I had to drop to 16GB from 32GB but it seems most games can run fine with 16GB so I can live with that for now (maybe RAM compatibility will improve in the future and I can upgrade).

If you want a giggle and have the game Ryse, try that with the higher speed memory :)
Seems to ridiculously improve, very memory frequency/speed sensitive.

Cheers

Back